Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
It will push in a bit, but will not turn what so ever.
I think the potato is for broken light bulbs (I may be wrong)
a squirt of pb blaster or wd40
and a needle nose plyer will get that bulb socket right out...;)

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
that's what I'd do. Break off as much bulb as you can, oil it up and use the nose of the pliers to turn what's left, or grab an edge and pulll. You need to push to get it in but to get it out you mostly need just turning.
Now you are talking about the bulb only, like a 1157, not the housing, right?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
You might need to let the wd-40 or pb blaster sit and set for a bit. Let the capillary action of the oil break down the dirt and/or corrosion. Before you break it that is. See if it'll come out in the morning is what I meant to say, before I got all verbose.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:frown:

We are now at an eleven count on how to change a friggin' light bulb... :rolleyes:

Hint- Usually these early style sockets are spring loaded. If you pull very gently on the wires lead at the back of the housing, it will make the turning of the corroded bulb base easier. If no go, break the damn thing and go at the base with needle nose pliers. Use a silicon base lubricant on the new bulb base to prevent this in the future.

If this doesn't work, remove the rocker covers and give the rockers another half turn. If they are not adjustable, shim them...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Hmm...

Been thinking about that potato (potatoe?) idea. I guess one would need different sizes for different bulbs so what I have done is set aside one drawer in my bottom box (potato bin) for differing size potato removal tools. Much like wrench holders, I will mark their places as...

ONE POTATO...

TWO POTATO...

Maybe have one grow some eyes in case I can't see the bulb clearly?

And do they need to be new potatoes or can one use seasoned ones?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hmm...

Been thinking about that potato (potatoe?) idea. I guess one would need different sizes for different bulbs so what I have done is set aside one drawer in my bottom box (potato bin) for differing size potato removal tools. Much like wrench holders, I will mark their places as...

ONE POTATO...

TWO POTATO...

Maybe have one grow some eyes in case I can't see the bulb clearly?

And do they need to be new potatoes or can one use seasoned ones?

Jocularity, jocularity. (But, it does work, at least on household lights where the bulbs have broken.)

Actually, one size fits all, but don't use a potato that says "made in China".

Poor quality.

LOL

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Jocularity, jocularity. (But, it does work, at least on household lights where the bulbs have broken.)

Actually, one size fits all, but don't use a potato that says "made in China".

Poor quality.

LOL
:confused:

How do you differentiate a Chinese potato, by the eyes? Would the Anglo potato be a round eye?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
:confused:

How do you differentiate a Chinese potato, by the eyes? Would the Anglo potato be a round eye?
Easy to tell them apart.

The Chinese potato is the one that loans you money, works for $270 per month, and gets delivered to your house in less than 30 minutes.

I store my potato in my tool box next to the celery. (With the curvature, the celery stalk can get into places where a metal screwdriver cannot. Will not work on Phillips head screws.)

And, when they both get worn out, you don't have to throw them away.

Just use them to make soup.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
KULTULZ 10-21-2012 POST# 12 said:
:frown:

We are now at an eleven count on how to change a friggin' light bulb... :rolleyes:

Hint- Usually these early style sockets are spring loaded. If you pull very gently on the wires lead at the back of the housing, it will make the turning of the corroded bulb base easier. If no go, break the damn thing and go at the base with needle nose pliers. Use a silicon base lubricant on the new bulb base to prevent this in the future.

If this doesn't work, remove the rocker covers and give the rockers another half turn. If they are not adjustable, shim them...
Attached below, please find an early example of making this service procedure somewhat easier.

DISCLAIMER- This came to me in a dream. The poster has no previous mechanical knowledge and/or experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts