Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
You didn't say whether your XL is a hardtop or a convertible, and what engine is in it. The Factory Service Manual on page 3-40 doesn't specify any more than wheels: 5.5 J x 14 with a 5 lug 4.5 inch bolt center. Tires are bias ply (4 ply) 7.50 x 14 unless it's a convertible or a hardtop with A/C, in which case the tires are 8.00 x 14. Tire pressures are 24 pounds front and rear, but can be bumped up 4 pounds for continuous high speed driving. However, my '63 Ford Facts and Features book states that high performance (427) and police package (P code?) cars will have 5.5 inch x 15 inch wheels with 6.70 or 7.10 inch tires. I'm guessing there wouldn't be any difference between '63 and '64 information, but as always, when guessing I could be wrong. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I am looking for the stock wheel and tire size for a 64 500 xl any help would be great
Thanks
Standard wheel size for XLs and non XLs is 14". XL hubcaps are 14".

Years ago, before I did the 500 to XL conversion, I put 15" wheels on my 64 with 72 LTD caps. Looked good, but when I did the conversion and started to use the car strictly for shows, I put the 14" wheels back on and got a free set of brand new 500XL caps. (Caps were being trashed at a Ford parts depot, and I knew someone (my father/in/law) who got them for me before they hit the dumpster.)

The stuff they threw out would make you sick........... Fenders, bumpers, hubcaps, grilles, chrome trim, etc. All tossed into a large open railroad freight car and taken to a trash site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it also has a/c which I thought was weird on a convertible.
It also has an electric check valve on the top that I am trying to figure out the wiring on can’t find it in any of the books I have ( fsm and a couple of books on tops)
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do tomorrow morning it sits above the pump the Line goes to the bottom of the pump and the line from the bottom of the cylinders goes into the top of the valve it opens when power is applied I removed it from the loop for now to get the top frame operating

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
I was told when asking for info on tire size for my car that it was 14" but 15" if a 427 car and probably the other hp cars. Yrs later I'm wishing I'd went with all 15" as my car was and never will be a show car. At the time I ran 14 front, 15 rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts