Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My first car was a 64 Galaxie 500 XL many years ago now. For the last 10 or so years it has been just sitting in the garage taking up space. I've come to a point where I am pretty torn. Do I sell it or continue to wait until I have time to work on it (maybe with my son but that would be another 12 years or so)? The body is in good condition (some spot rust) but straight, it has a 289, factory air (sitting in the trunk), motor ran last time I started it 1 year ago, but it's taking up space and as the kids get older I seem to have less and less time (kids are 5 and 3).

The car definitely needs some work but outside of brakes (redoing the lines) and a tune up, it would be a driving project.

It doesn't help that cars aren't my biggest hobby and house repairs always come up.

I guess I wanted to reach out to see how many people on here, with similar situations, actually ended up getting to a project after this amount of time? If I were to sell it, does anyone have a good ballpark for a derivable project? I know each car is different but just a range for a straight car that could drive, but needs work and (has all seats, carpet, headliner, but there are rips)?

Thanks for any advice or personal stories.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You only have one first car. Once you sell it ,it's real hard to get it back.Maybe you should get it running and try getting the kids and wife and do some car cruises. They may love it.Good luck. Roger

·
Registered
497 Posts
i took my car and stored it for 15 years while the kids grew up. finally got after it when the oldest was 16. was worth the effort to wait

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. After sleeping on it two nights that's kind of where I am. Realistically I could have it driving in a week or two so I might just need to tackle that this winter.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Just keep the project moving forward, make plans, deturman parts needed and source and acquire them.
Just make sure it's not another 15 years of hibernation for the old Ford.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is definitely good advice and something I need to keep in mind. In the past i will have done some stuff for a couple days, then not touched it again for 6-12 months. By that point, I can't even remember where I am at. If I could touch it, even if just for an hour or two each week, it would help keep things on track.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Hi Everyone,

My first car was a 64 Galaxie 500 XL many years ago now. For the last 10 or so years it has been just sitting in the garage taking up space. I've come to a point where I am pretty torn. Do I sell it or continue to wait until I have time to work on it (maybe with my son but that would be another 12 years or so)? The body is in good condition (some spot rust) but straight, it has a 289, factory air (sitting in the trunk), motor ran last time I started it 1 year ago, but it's taking up space and as the kids get older I seem to have less and less time (kids are 5 and 3).

The car definitely needs some work but outside of brakes (redoing the lines) and a tune up, it would be a driving project.

It doesn't help that cars aren't my biggest hobby and house repairs always come up.

I guess I wanted to reach out to see how many people on here, with similar situations, actually ended up getting to a project after this amount of time? If I were to sell it, does anyone have a good ballpark for a derivable project? I know each car is different but just a range for a straight car that could drive, but needs work and (has all seats, carpet, headliner, but there are rips)?

Thanks for any advice or personal stories.
I bought my car as a non-runner back in 1987. I had a rented garage to work on it, put new brakes and suspension in it, got the engine running then it went from that garage to rented storage to another rented garage then to a barn at my first house and then in 1996 to the stacked spot in my two car garage. There it sat for another 18 years while every other part of my life took priority. My kids graduated high school, off to college so then I started the restoration. It took me about three years to restore it and I will have it until I die.

The biggest mistake that I made was not running the car. Modern alcohol blended fuels only last 6 months before they go bad and I let mine go 6 years. Unbeknownst to me it had turned into varnish and when I ran the engine with it it stuck half the valves. The engine rebuild was very expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I finally did it. After so many years I buckled down and got the brake system pretty much all replaced with new plumbing and it really only took two weekends. I just have to install the front bearings and bleed the brakes now to get all wheel operational..

Next step is going to be finishing those few items then starting it up to see where everything is at. I've already done the oil change and drained the fuel tank so I'll probably change the fuel filter, drain and replace coolant, check other fluids and see where I'm at when I turn it over.

Fingers crossed, but I'm not anticipating much issue with the motor. I started it up 2-3 years ago and it seemed fine. I'm really not that experienced mechanically so I'm really hoping for this to be the case. I've replaced parts in the past and have done a seal/gasket kit on another vehicle but I was pretty much just the helper on that. Needless to say, at this stage pulling the motor and rebuilding it would be over my head at this point and I'm not organized enough for that type of a task right now.

I'm kind of on a wave of momentum so I want to keep that moving at the same time though. Depending on where the engine and transmission are, I think I might evaluate suspension and steering next and go from there.

After I feel safe about drive-ability. I'm actually thinking about doing some body work and interior before starting the motor if it is functioning. I've been looking at costs and if I do a lot of DIY, I'm thinking I can keep the costs down in this area and still make some pretty good progress, while also be able to drive it a little in the summer. I know the body work will probably be the most time involvement but it's probably a little better for tinkering than the actual motor work.

Going forward I'm going to use this as a sort of blog just to track progress and hopefully keep me motivated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made some progress then experienced a set back. I got done changing/checking all fluids/filters last week and then got to the coolant. Went to drain the coolant and noticed there wasn't any. Put the tube back on and started to fill, then I hear water running out of the back of the motor all over the garage floor. Funny thing was, when I was doing the brakes I remember seeing something on the floor and thinking "that looks like a freeze plug" but I just swept it aside and kept going. Anyways, I replaced the missing freeze plug behind the starter, fill it up again, and notice a small leak from the plug under the motor mount. So now I get to replace that one as well. At this point, I'm kind of leaning towards pulling the motor and jumping into a rebuild kit but I don't know. I'll probably try to get the motor jacked up a bit and just replace the other plugs but that sounds easier than it probably will be.

Luckily the freeze plug was just rusty and the block appears fine but I really need to get the engine fired and run a compression test. There wasn't any sign of water in the oil, the engine turns and doesn't have any spots of increased resistance so I am hoping this is just a minor inconvenience. I'll get back to it tonight but thought it was time for an update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts