Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a place that lists several for '64, but none listed for a Galaxie. These are brand new OEM tanks.
They list:
64 Thunderbird
64-65 Thunderbird
60-65 Falcon
64-68 Mustang

Any of those the same as the Galaxie?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Probably not. The mustang and falcon's are drop thru design (mustangs for sure). I would think the galaxie are similar desing to the 62-65 Fairlanes and are strapped underneath the trunk floor.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew the later Mustang tamnks were drop in as I bought one for a '69 Mustang to go in my '69 Cougar, wasn't sure about the earlier ones tho. Had a big argument with the Parts Doofus at NPD because at one point he refused it sell me the tank as he *knew* it wouldn't fit the Cougar...It droped straight in & all the bolt holes lined up perfectly...

The Galaxie does have the strap on kind, er, should have rephrased that...
Dropped the tank off this morning. It has that red gasket sealer slathered all over the sender unit & some lime green stuff, neither of which is doing a damn thing to fix the leaks. There was a filter mounted by the tank that was FULL of red gasket goop which has me wondering how much of the stuff is inside the tank....No red goop in the filter by the (new) fuel pump tho..

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, spoke with Greg Donahue, '64 galaxie tank is unique so I'm gonna have to get busy with a razor scraping all the goop off this tank I have

It appears to have only 2 leaks, not a multitude as originally thought: one below the filler neck & another at the sender unit. If can get all this crap off the tank I'll have it fixed at the Radiator shop.

I don't trust glass tanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZRX61 on 2/25/03 2:13am ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts