Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone who knows how to adjust an old school regulator. My mini regulator on my alt went out and I hooked up the factory regulator. It charges but when I turn it off the gen light comes on. I took the cover off the regulator and if I pull the top contact away it goes off. If I lightly touch it it sticks on. Want to go to cruise tonight and want to be able to make it back. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
Have you tried polarizing it? I actually think the polarizing is for the reg not the generator anyway.
Might be that the points in it are sticking. They have points similar to ignition or what's in the stock '64 clock.

1bad6t posted before I hit send. LOL Wow I didn't know they were adjustable either. Learn something new every day. I have never had to do any of that, usually if I did something with a reg it was tossing one. :)

Deb

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Do you have a alternator or generator?
If you hooked the alternator up to the old generator voltage regulator I don't see how that will work.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I hooked the alternator to the generator voltage regulator and it worked. One set of contact were sticking and the gen light stayed on with key off. I took the cover off and opened the hood and tapped them to release. I am going to do something different but went to first cruise of the year and had to drive home with headlights. Will rewire it but just needed it for tonight. Thanks for the adjustment instructions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts