Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy who previously owned the Galaxie put a custom shifter on the car.

to do this the ******* took of the orignal shifter and got some JB weld and filled the hold and stuck it on - what an ass.

i got all the Jb weld off, and the rod inside the shifter is moving more freely.

Question :

What keeps the rod up, a spring ?

If i push it down it stays down, it looks like a spring sits in the top, but i cant see any pics or find any info in any catalogs.

How does the push button shifter work ?

L

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok,

Under the console i found a small little plastic push in grommet, it looks like a spring sits in there and its held in with the grommet.

i got a spring but i cant push the button down enough, if i get a smaller spring it wont have enough tension

I guess i need to keep looking

Any info would be great

L

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just checked the Shop Manual and it isn't much help. It shows general assembly, and linkage into the tranny, but doesn't get into it like you have. I'll keep looking. Let me know if you want a scanned copy.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you get any pics of the spring or find out the length - that'd be cool

I found out its called a "release spring"

I went to the store and sorted through about 100 of em, the problem is finding one that has enough "spring" but still lets the shifter go down low enough to move it into the gear

L

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Is it an automatic with shifter in console? I pulled my whole console and shifter out when I went with the C-6 tranny and B&M shifter. I could have some parts if you need them.

Oh, from what I remember there is a spring under the knob that goes on before you screw the shift ball on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gbeeler on 11/21/06 2:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now a spring on top makes much more sense !!

Ok, i think this is what i am missing

If yah got one, let me know and maybe we can work something out

L

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I will check when I get time. I know the whole setup is in the rear storage area here at the shop. I will check it out and post ya if it's all there.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
330 Posts
lgh,

Check your mail. I sent you the schematic from the shop manual. It'll show you the order of assembly for those parts.

Gord

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gordo on 11/24/06 9:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks gordo

Is that from the 64 manual ?

L

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where do i get this ?

L

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this one ?

"1964 FORD GALAXIE SHOP MANUAL
This Book was used by the mechanics in the Ford Dealers.
It explained repair, disassembly and re-assembly on all
of the components of the car.

FSM-64 $45.95
"

·
Registered
825 Posts
Man,,, next time you buy an old car maybe try and find one that hasn't been " customized " by the previous owner so much. otherwise you spend so much time just trying to figure out what the previous owner did. Its one surprise after another once you get into it. even if the price seems right at the beginning sometimes it ends up costing you much more in the long run. I'd be worried about what other half-assed repairs the previous owner made.

just find a stock ride and take it from there that way you can follow the shop manual. jmho

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not that bigger deal, all i had to was take the shifter apart and look online to find out what its missing.

I've had to change,rebuild, fix alot of things but i enjoy it.

Funny thing is, its gonna be way more custom than the mickey mouse bullshit he did when im done with it

I got this car for $1000, its an XL, great interior, engine has high compression, body needs work but it aint too bad [ i work in a body shop ], so even if a spend $3000 on it im only in it for $4K and its gonna be a sweet ride

L

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Wish I had your abilities. I had to pay for it and cost me 5 times what you think you'll have into yours. Would've left a lot of money for a supercharger or turbos. Oh well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On 2006-11-25 15:37, gbeeler wrote:
Wish I had your abilities. I had to pay for it and cost me 5 times what you think you'll have into yours. Would've left a lot of money for a supercharger or turbos. Oh well. Good luck.
Ha i dont know about abilties, im still learning as i go, i got to this point that i felt like i could do as good or sometimes a better job than paying someone to do it. some work i have had done in the past was awful.

i feel good when people ask me who did the work.

for me knowing i did it and it working - well there is nothing cooler than that !!

L

·
Registered
330 Posts
lgh,

Are you on track now? The manual you quoted is what I have. It is one of those lifetime purchases you won't regret. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts