Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Esteemed Ford Enthusiast's...

I currently have a pain in the arse also known as a '64 4 speed Toploader who's linkage will not let me go into gear. First it was behaving itself but not great, now it's gone from bad to worse and I can't find neutral let alone 1st gear, I've attached pictures of the linkage from the topside but I guess I need to get under there. I can see from the top 4 bolts, 2 to bolt the shifter arm on, and 2 on the side of the linkage, and I guess there's another bolt where the spring is on the end there holding the linkage in place (at a guess)... I can go in and start taking things apart, but would like to hear from anyone who can give me any advice on how I can rectify this please? ANY advice would be appreciated...
Thanks in advance...

Lucky

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lucky, I've shared my opinion before, but after looking at your pictures it looks like the alignment isn't quite right. There are three linkages, one for 1-2, one for 3-4, and one for reverse. I suspect one or more linkages are installed incorrectly (either swapped, or reversed at the forward pin).

Recall I had a similar problem where I couldn't get into 3-4, then it got worse and I was permanently in 2nd. The problem ended up being I put one linkage on upside down and it set all of the alignment off.

Here is a raw picture of the top loader:

And here is a pic with the linkages on INCORRECTLY, haha:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey E :) Hope you're well mate...

I presume the longer linkage to the front of the trans is for reverse, and the other two are 1/2 (forward and back) and 3/4(forward and back) yes? Just out of curiosity which is for 1/2 and which one is for 3/4?

I can see the linkage and how its bolted onto the trans housing and how the link arms are connected in the 2nd pic but not sure what you mean by how the linkages are incorrectly? Unless you are referring to the link arms are connected to the wrong points on the linkage itself? Do you have a pic where it shows the linkages connected correctly in comparison?

In response to your theory that one or more linkages are installed incorrectly, well it WAS working (not very well) before (I never got her up to 4th) but in recent weeks it was increasingly harder to find neutral and would pop out of a gear (2nd or 3rd), so I'm thinking the linkage itself is loose in places and may need tightening up? I'm thinking just to get under there and see what's loose, and if need be untightening some bolts and take it apart and see about it going back together, does that seem fair to you or do I am I missing something?
Cheers for replying dude...
~L~

Lucky, I've shared my opinion before, but after looking at your pictures it looks like the alignment isn't quite right. There are three linkages, one for 1-2, one for 3-4, and one for reverse. I suspect one or more linkages are installed incorrectly (either swapped, or reversed at the forward pin).

Recall I had a similar problem where I couldn't get into 3-4, then it got worse and I was permanently in 2nd. The problem ended up being I put one linkage on upside down and it set all of the alignment off.

Here is a raw picture of the top loader:

And here is a pic with the linkages on INCORRECTLY, haha:

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
put car up on stands....
then get under it..
jiggle levers on transmission to neutral position....
loosen nuts on shift rod sliders by shifter levers...
look at first picture...
below center pivot point on shifter assembly you see a hole..
that is for aligning shifter....
find a nail or a drill bit that will fit the size of that hole.....
center/line up levers so that that you can insert nail all the way thru and lock shifter levers in neutral position....
make sure levers on transmission is still in neutral position......
tighten nuts on sliders then remove nail from shifter assembly....

that should take care of shifter alignment problems...

and shifting should be a breeze....
unless there any other problems.... like worn shifter or bushings etc....

use pictures for reference.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts