Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bodyshop welded and painted over the holes for the outside rear view door mirrors. Anyone know of a template for locating them properly, or should I just eyeball them?

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
I don't know if yours has the same mirror as mine and I only have a driver side mirror. But I could measure for you from door edge to the tip of the mirror base and from top of door (at the edge of the stainless peice) to the side and from the door handle end to mirror base tip.

If they are the same mirror at least. If that would help you any. Don't know of a template. Why did they seal up the holes. Figured you didn't need a mirror or want one?

Deb

·
Registered
158 Posts
The bodyshop welded and painted over the holes for the outside rear view door mirrors. Anyone know of a template for locating them properly, or should I just eyeball them?
You didn't say what year, but here is the placement on my 64.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great suggestions thanks. Standard mirror, very similar to the one in the photo. They were welded over because the holes were way oversized. Shotrod, if you could give me some measurements, I think that, in combination to spotting the holes from inside the door panel, should get me in the right area.

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
I used a cloth measuring tape but still the same. I measured from door edges to tips. The bottom ones are from the edge on the door where it curves in.
I don't know if you have the round mirror or square though. Round might be different measurements but you can guesstimate at least.

I liked the edge of the tape with the center on each end.

Hope this helps.

Deb

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used a cloth measuring tape but still the same. I measured from door edges to tips. The bottom ones are from the edge on the door where it curves in.
I don't know if you have the round mirror or square though. Round might be different measurements but you can guesstimate at least.

I liked the edge of the tape with the center on each end.

Hope this helps.

Deb
Your mirror appears to be further back from the door edge than mine. How far can you open your vent window? Mine opens almost all the way. I have even seen 64s with the mirror mounted on the fender itself.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Your mirror appears to be further back from the door edge than mine. How far can you open your vent window? Mine opens almost all the way. I have even seen 64s with the mirror mounted on the fender itself.

Does anyone know if they were instaled in the factory or at dealerships? I had 2 BONE STOCK 64 500 fastbacks and they were in different locations.

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
I can open it all the way until it's angled to the front of the car to catch air and bring it in. Probably just the angle of the pics makes it look like it's in the way. The bottom corner misses the mirror by about an inch. That's the closest point.

As for factory or dealer. They are factory installed as far as I know. I have noticed that some have a mirror on both doors so not sure if that's how they or ordered or if the second mirror was added later. Not only that but some mirrors are round and some are square/rectangle like mine. Not sure what determined the mirror styles either. Could be possible that some were ordered without mirrors even and they were added later also.

Deb

Here's one with it open almost as far as i can open it and one closed and back a bit from the car. If it were closer to the door hinge or front of the door you'd have to look through the wing window to see it almost I think. Unless you are long legged and can have the seat back further than I can. :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
In 63 and 64 cars in CA were not required to have outside rear view mirrors. I think clear up to about 68 or 69. Most all remote control mirrors were factory installed. All other outside rear view mirrors were dealer installed. My 63 406 Galaxie never had a outside rear view mirror until it became a law and I used one from a 69 Galaxie.

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
In 63 and 64 cars in CA were not required to have outside rear view mirrors. I think clear up to about 68 or 69. Most all remote control mirrors were factory installed. All other outside rear view mirrors were dealer installed. My 63 406 Galaxie never had a outside rear view mirror until it became a law and I used one from a 69 Galaxie.
I knew someone must know. I actually sometimes wish I had a mirror on the other side too. Sure help with that blind spot in that back corner. But at the same time I don't want to put holes in my nice door on that side. ROFL

Especially would be nice when I keep hauling things on it. I got a new mattress from the thrift shop here on base and had to truck with me. There was no way I could get that thing off that truck by myself when I got it home so went home and got the shotrod. There have been times too that there was something in the trunk so the lid was in the way.

Deb

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
HAY mon Deb,
Here is a JPG of the mirror placement on the 3.14.

HTH
JC

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, I think it is safe to say that driver's door mirror mount locations were all over the place in 1964. I guess the best advice is to mount it where it provides the best vison for you from the driver's seat.
Yours is about the same basic location as mine is I noticed.

Deb

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
HAY mon Deb,
Here is a JPG of the mirror placement on the 3.14.

HTH
JC

And yet another mirror style. How many styles were there I wonder? I suppose after what Richard had said about the mirrors some could even be non-ford! Oh the horror!:eek:

Your mirror has that windswept look JC. No intereference as far as view from the wing window area at all? I always wondered about that. Even more so with the fender mounted mirrors.

Deb

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
Well, I think it is safe to say that driver's door mirror mount locations were all over the place in 1964. I guess the best advice is to mount it where it provides the best vison for you from the driver's seat.

It does appear that way! To me when I look back at the pics of my own it almost looks too far back compared to most modern day cars.

Deb

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
And yet another mirror style. How many styles were there I wonder? I suppose after what Richard had said about the mirrors some could even be non-ford! Oh the horror!:eek:
HAY mon Deb,
It happens to be a rectangular shape. If that is a "non-Ford", then there goes another 38 point deduction by Mr.DH! :)
Your mirror has that windswept look JC.
It used to be straight, but the 3.14 is just so damned fast that wind resistance bent it back like that! :)
No interference as far as view from the wing window area at all? I always wondered about that. Even more so with the fender mounted mirrors.
No interference, but there IS a down side to where it's mounted. If another mirror were mounted in the same place on the OTHER side, the A-Piller would be in the way!

Where YOURS is mounted would be alright to have both sides done the same.

Hope you are well.

JC

1 - 20 of 27 Posts