Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just watched my life pass before my eyes. I am trying to get the springs out of the fairlane to cut the shock towers. After cranking on the compressor for a long time, the spring bowed to one side and fell out onto the floor. So, after staring at that gernade on the floor trying to figure out how to get my compressor out, I decided to put it back in the car and maybe cut it out of the car with a cut off wheel. Is this a good idea or no? Even with the suspension unloaded the spring still feels like it has some tension in it. If I cut it, could it fly out and ruin my boyish good looks by catching that sucker between the eyes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You could ruin more than your boyish looks - your walls, floor,
ceiling - you get it. That's the wrong kind of compresser your
using, you need a centre compresser that grips one coil down
from the top and one coil up from the bottom via plates that
insert between the coils and have circular rings that the coils
sit in to prevent side movement. Cutting is a good option but
make sure to chain the coils as those springs are quite long
when expanded. If you chain properly you could remove with a
compresser, remove the compresser from the spring, reattach
the compresser at a different coil and releive the tension on the
spring to remove the compresser leaving the spring in tact.
What ever you do chain the spring to keep it from flying and
protect yourself from flying slag if you cut,

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I used a center compressor and made sure I had 2 coils left at the bottom, once it felt like it was loose in the seat I cut th lower coils off with a Hi-speed. Worked for me. And no surprises.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sound good. I didn't even think about running a chain through it. I am using a center compressor but instead of plates, it has the two hooks at the top and bottom. I can see how one with plates would make me feel a lot safer! Think I'll try chaining it, compressing it a bit, then cutting it. Thanks guys! BTW, as far as my looks go, it would probably be an improvement if the spring took my melon head clean off!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts