Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kind of a basic question.
I'm trying to restore my 1964 Falcon Sprint.
I'm putting the factory steel wheels back on, with dog dish hub caps.
Stupid question, but were the wheels gloss black from the factory?
If it makes a difference, my Sprint is a black on black original.

Also, I got an original jack for the car. Another stupid question, but can anyone send me a pic of a factory original jack so I can paint mine correctly? I was assuming gloss black for everything but the vertical bar, and the bar a flat silver??

Appreciate any help I can get. I just figured rather than paint it what I think is correct, I better ask someone who knows.
Steve

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Kind of a basic question.

I'm trying to restore my 1964 Falcon Sprint.

I'm putting the factory steel wheels back on, with dog dish hub caps.
Stupid question, but were the wheels gloss black from the factory?

If it makes a difference, my Sprint is a black on black original.
Color Keyed wheels were usually an option (my father bought a 64 4DR FUTURA and it came through with color keyed wheels). I would think that either body color or a semi-gloss black would be correct. You might find more precise info at a FALCON ONLY site.

Also, I got an original jack for the car.

Another stupid question, but can anyone send me a pic of a factory original jack so I can paint mine correctly? I was assuming gloss black for everything but the vertical bar, and the bar a flat silver??

Appreciate any help I can get. I just figured rather than paint it what I think is correct, I better ask someone who knows.

Steve
:confused:

Where was the first stupid question? Why do you think we are here?

The jack (base-handle-ratchet) was a semi-gloss black I think (someone here should know for sure). The actual jack post was natural color.

Please post back on info on the wheels if found other than here. Didn't the SPRINT come thru with simulated wire covers? Mine did.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I found this description on a Google search...

HowStuffWorks "Ford Falcon Sprint"

The only part I found odd was the mention of the four lug wheels on the standard V8 Falcon. I remember the 14" four lug wheels but that was on the 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I bought my 64 futura hard top new , 170 /6 with 4 speed, not the sprint series and it came with.
4 lug 13 " wheels painted the body color, blue.
It had the small hubcaps .
Sprints with the 260 V/8 came with 5 lug 13" wheels and full cover hubcaps. It's possible they could be black since they were allmost covered ,i don't know.
Maybe the sprint could have been ordered with the small hubcaps,i don't know , but i have the 13" 5 lug wheels on it now and the small caps fit.
The station wagon and maybe ranchero could be bought with 4 lug or 5 lug 14" wheels ,depending on the engine and trim package ,deluxe or plain jane.
A lot of sprints had 14" wheels but they may have been added later.
I remember when the 14" wheels started coming out on cars and a lot of people never liked them and put 15" in there place.
Then the 13" started coming out on cars and they started changing them to 14", we are never satisfied with what comes on them, ha ha.
The jack in mine new was gloss black and black base with natural on the stand .
I hope this helps as that's the way mine came new.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Kul is right, Semi-Gloss not Semi-Flat, for the wheels, Body paint wheels was factory option.

Jack base plate Semi-Gloss

Jack Handle (tire iron) semi-gloss black

Jack Shaft Anodized yellow/silver metal finish not silver alone.

Futura models are no exception, I've seen black rims factory and body paint rims factory.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I guess i ordered the factory option with out knowing it. I did tell them all exterior Gardsman blue , with bench seat and 4 spd trany. That's what i liked about that era, you could pretty well order it the way you wanted and not just take what's all ready been shipped, don't know about now days. I ordered it with power steering too with the 6/cy 170 , not many 6s came that way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate all the insight!! I's rather be period correct than just what I think it should be. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Kul is right, Semi-Gloss not Semi-Flat, for the wheels, Body paint wheels was factory option.

Jack base plate Semi-Gloss

Jack Handle (tire iron) semi-gloss black

Jack Shaft Anodized yellow/silver metal finish not silver alone.

Futura models are no exception, I've seen black rims factory and body paint rims factory.[/QUOT

Semi flat? what would that be? BTW I like your call sign FE.
I challenge anyone who proclaims to know or remember anything that discrete about a vehicle 50 years ago.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
OK Paint school 101.

Semi-gloss Black has a almost dull oily haze. Reflects but not crisply.

Semi-Flat paint, No reflective qualities per-se but not a light absorber either.

Under Chevy hoods from the 60's to 70's you see Semi-gloss black on the inner fenders.

Under the hood of a Ford product you see Semi-flat black in the same years.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
OK buddy, for all I know you're right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts