Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a narrow case Toploader with tailhousing number of C4DR-7A040-A and main case number of C4AR-7008-A I have seen a lot of these with 25 spline output shaft but this one has 28 spline output shaft. I am curious what this may have came in originally (260,289, K code, Cobra ). I am new to fords and this forum. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Some 64' vehicles had 25 spline outputs and some had 28's. About the only way to ID what you might have is if there is a little tag attached to the front passenger side of the main case. The code you are looking for on it will begin with HEH. With that you can find the original application here:

Toploader ID Chart

If it is something special, their may be a partial VIN # found on the main case, often on the top LH side near the bellhousing.

It is also possible that the 25 spline was replace with the 28 spline during its lifetime-Ford quickly realized that they didn't hold up well and updated all trannys to 28 spline in 1965. Its a direct swap and even uses the same output housing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts