Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the doors are shaved, the antenna hole filled, and the fender lined up. The body shop is going to repaint it black and add some red ghost flames. They sugested I shave the side mouldings off too.
What do you think side trim or shave? The body shop owner is a buddy of mine , and s making me a killer deal.
I know the choices is mine but I would like some input.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Sal, I'm partial to the trim so I'd say leave it on. It is worth trying, but is kinda a nice divider. Without all that shiney stuff, there sits alot of sheetmetal. I've seen 64's with no chrome that look good so it's almost like all or nothing.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
For what its worth...It's your decision. But since you asked...

I think the '64 looks better with the side trim. It seems to give it just the right touch. If anything, I might suggest painting the background body color...but that is another issue.

PS.

Also...You should remember that Sal's car is a sedan, with the more formal roof line. It isn't the semi-Fastback (Sport roof) that so many think about when they envision a '63 - '64 Galaxie.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/2/06 5:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I disagree with Beowolf. I think the side trim looks gaudy and overpowering on anything but a complete restoration.

·
Registered
152 Posts
to trim or not to trim!!!!!man ya gotta go with the trim. i say keep it. if the trim clips are an issue due to cost, you dont have to use the original style, it can get expensive. thay make four or five trim clip sizes like the ones used for the trunk and hood lip trim. they are cheaper, i used them on my gal with no problems. you will have to use the original clips on the front fender and the front clip on the door trim. any local body shop can give you the name of a distributer they buy clips and body hardware from. good luck my votes for the trim

·
Registered
152 Posts
g beelers car does look good!!!! but for me i think its becouse he used a tastefull color sceem. i have to say i like it. but in one color i think the side looks like a slab. great job beeler!!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Agreed, gbeelers car looks great, also he's used two colors to divide alot of metal, not really needing the trim. Tough call, but highly polished stainless on your black car Sal, it'll look great. There is a car on Ebay right now, and it is a dark color too, maybe black, not sure but I think it too has deleted some trim. Looks good. Like I said, I've seen them both ways and liked either so... Good luck!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Thanks for the compliments! My main reason for removing the side trim was the cost to have it straighted out and polished. That's not even to mention that you have to either fork out another $400.00 to $500.00 minimum to have the pieces re-anodized.

If you don't re-anodize, you are polishing aluminum until your fingers hurt! My grill and headlight buckets are polished with out re-anodizing and it really gets to be a pain the butt to always have to polish them.

Once I had the trim off and the paint on I was glad I removed most of the trim. If the car was 1 color, preferrably dark, they would look nice. With 2 colors I think the scheme would appear too busy. Like everyone else's this is just an opinion. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Have you seen some of the paint jobs on vehicles where they have painted on the trim. They are usually airbrushed. They look pretty realistic from 20'.

Larry

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I totaly agree gbeeler your trim less 64 is sweet.I have untill next week to decide , thanks for all the input

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sleepysal on 6/2/06 3:32am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
jrdufresne: They do look pretty nice but they don't call all the way back.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gbeeler I may have asked you before, but what size rims/tires are you running?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
There are some options for sealing bare metal like Eastwoods Diamond Clear, or ZoopSeal Original Sealer that "elimiates polishing and dulling for up to 2 years. Im leaning toward just removing the anodizded coating , buffing out what i can, and useing a sealer to keep the maintenance down.
And yes, i aggree, unless your quatrters are broken up with 2 tone paint, the fast expanses of sheet metal arent very flattering.

BTW gbeeler, did you go with the 2 in drop spindles from drop n stop?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2006-06-01 19:39, BoutTime64 wrote:
, i aggree, unless your quatrters are broken up with 2 tone paint, the fast expanses of sheet metal arent very flattering.
True, the graphic guy said the ghost flames would help break it up

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
BoutTime64: I had already installed 2" drop coils and rear springs so another 2" with the spindles would have been way too much. I ended up buying a kit from MP Brakes that has 11 3/4" rotors and left my original spindles on the car. Much nicer to drive now that I know I can stop. :^)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I decided to shave the side trim . The car is still in the shop. (never tell the shop your in no hurry LOL ) . They are working on it between insurance jobs . I promise to post picturs soon !

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It took my body guy from February 2004 until the end of October 2004 to do the work required. What did you decide to do with your paint scheme?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just thaught it was funny you were talkin about time, I wish it only took that long. The body went totally stripped to the body shop in May 2002, I gave the guy money in advance, never again, and came out after I had enough of his b.s. that was in about Sept 2004. Went to another guy about 2 months later and is still there. It is basically all lined up and has a painted underside, but am still waiting for final painting. Tell me I'm not patient. This has been my cryptonite. No one around here wants this work, unless your account has no bottom, ie Legendary Motorcar, or RM restorations to name some. Next time, I'm asking one of them to see how much and how long. Might be worth the extra $$$.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I decided to go with black with red Ghost flames. gbeeler I showed the paint guy your car ( and yes he liked it ) I was almost temped to go with a burnt orange and black , but didnt want to copy you ( pattent infringments LOL)
514 I hear you but it's my friends shop and he is giving ne a killer deal.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-06-27 10:14, sleepysal wrote:
Well I decided to shave the side trim . The car is still in the shop. (never tell the shop your in no hurry LOL ) . They are working on it between insurance jobs . I promise to post picturs soon !
Thats one of the things that is so unrealistic about all these over Hauling, type shows:

If they tell you a month, it'll usually be 3 months. I don't know if its that they take the time to do it right or if they do the quick turn-over new car, easy to get parts easy insurance money or they just want to have some backup, weekend, test the new guy jobs to keep the shop open. I like to think its that they take the time to do a better job.

But if truth is told ....I have NEVER heard of a paint shop turning out a classic repaint on time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts