Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to always have alot of weight in the car almost every time i take it out. It looks like it sags a little bit and i think my 275 rubbed a little over some large bumps. Does anybody have a part number for some air shocks? I think its factory height but im not positive.

Can someone give me a measurement on there stock height galaxie from center of wheel to bottom of fender?
I think thats an accurate way of measuring it? maybe?

Front and rear would be great to know as i need to replace the fronts also and want to make sure to get the correct size. It looks low in the front so im not sure if its lowered or not.
Its a 289 if that makes a difference

Thanks
Jake

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
I can't answer on the ride height but am sure doing a search of the forum you will find it as it has been discussed. I've had flat and unflat airshocks for the entire 35 yrs i've had the car. But below is a thread on air shocks and part numbers etc that i found in a search. I have Gabriel on mine, supposed to be 200lb i think it was but i can only get bout 150 in and they reach their limit. I think this could be because of the leaf springs but then it could be also that after some research the shocks are actually for a Versaille not Galaxie and are a tad shorter. They do raise the back up though but i still have that 'i want it up to the sky just once' craving that i've had since the 70s. lol Just for a bit is all and i can't seem to get it there! But they do beat the tail dragging of flat shocks big time.

I'm sure if you search galaxie ride height or '64 ride height you'll find the answers to that question if someone doesn't have the info handy.

I will add that in my case, air up or down i have to jack the axle up enough to get the tire off the ground then use the bumper jack to get the body way up in order to get an average size tire off the rear.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/456301-air-shocks-64-a-2.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks those gabriels seem to fit the budget.... Do you have a part number of the shocks you ordered?
Im still looking around for more...
Thanks

I cant find the fitment on there website...

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
I bought the ones i have on ebay.

Gabriel Air Shocks 60 61 62 63 64 Ford Big Car Galaxie Custom | eBay

You can check summit racing for monroe shocks also. Just be sure to get the right ones, loop at the top straight bolt at the bottom.

The monroe MA709 weren't meant for a galaxie as the thread mentions but don't think the gabriels i have were either. But one day i want to get extenders for them which can be picked up at the local parts stores for like 15 bucks. But they might be just the height you are wanting which is over stock a bit. There is a set of the monroe ones on amazon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts