Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Galaxie 500 XL Convertible
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just pulled a FX dual range out of a 65 Galaxie 500XL Conv. early this week. Transmission would slip out of park with a stiff breath of wind and, from the stories I have been reading on here, seems to be a common theme among these trannys. Also seemed like it dropped 3rd gear potentially. Rebuild quotes are around 1,000-1300$ in Oregon, seems a bit unreasonable for a strictly hydraulic transmission.
The question is, how is the swap to something like a C4? Car is a console shift with XL trim.
What am I looking at trying to swap to something like that? Even something like C6 or an AODif it’s not to much.
Motor is the 352, 6 bolt bell housing.
Is there a way to swap a tranny in place of the FX with minimal changes (i.e. driveshaft modification)?
Thank you for all the help, such a great group of individuals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Casting for the FX that I pulled out

Case measures the 9 7/8” to confirm small case.

·
Subscriber
749 Posts
Unsure on the C4. People swap the C6 in, some say you can reverse your existing trans mount. Others say you need the C6 mount that came out in the '66 cars.
If I was swapping, I'd make sure it had an overdrive gear.

For what its worth, I paid about $1000 to have my FMX rebuilt. Its smooth like butter.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hi All,

I just pulled a FX dual range out of a 65 Galaxie 500XL Conv. early this week. Transmission would slip out of park with a stiff breath of wind and, from the stories I have been reading on here, seems to be a common theme among these trannys. Also seemed like it dropped 3rd gear potentially. Rebuild quotes are around 1,000-1300$ in Oregon, seems a bit unreasonable for a strictly hydraulic transmission.
The question is, how is the swap to something like a C4? Car is a console shift with XL trim.
What am I looking at trying to swap to something like that? Even something like C6 or an AODif it’s not to much.
Motor is the 352, 6 bolt bell housing.
Is there a way to swap a tranny in place of the FX with minimal changes (i.e. driveshaft modification)?
Thank you for all the help, such a great group of individuals.
Hello Mstngmatt,

I'm not sure Ford ever put a C4 behind an FE. I've never seen a 3rd gen galaxie (any full size) with that combination. The reason why the FX's are so expensive is because the lack of parts availability and you have to send bands out to have new material bonded to them and such (I've rebuilt an FMX and it was a pain and I'll never rebuild another Borg Warner designed auto transmission again), it isn't like building a C6 where you can buy every part new off the shelf, except for FE C6's torque converters, those have a core charge now due to scarcity.

The FX and MX transmissions were designed and built by Borg Warner for Ford, then Ford had a go at designing transmissions and created the C4 in 1964 and the C6 in 1966. Your cheapest bet is finding an FE C6 transmission otherwise you'll need an expensive transmission adapter to mount any other modern automatic transmission to it as the FE has a bolt pattern unique to FE engines only. In 1968 Ford created the FMX which is an almalgamation of the FX and MX transmission.

If you went the C6 route, you'll still have to get a different length propshaft as the FX propshaft will not work, even the yoke on the FX is smaller and will not mate to a C6. I've had a couple FX transmissions in the '66 galaxies we have and I took them all to the dump and am only using C6's for the time being.

Good luck with your search.

P.S. another note to be aware of the '65 and '66 Ford full size models with the 352 and FX also have the light duty Ford 9" rear axle. The axle shafts are smaller and the shaft bearings and seals are smaller. Also the Cardan joints are smaller, those use 1310 series little Cardan joints and the 390 and larger engine cars came with the larger 1330 series Cardan joints. So that's something else to be aware of.

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply DesertXL, the C6 seems to be the way to go with it. Is there an issue with the input or output spline count if the C6 was sourced from a similar year? Any information on the flexplate, starter, linkage? If I remember, it’s a TV cable for the kickdown rather than the rod?
Some of the other posts I have been reading have said that the tranny mount should work, does anyone know if that is the case? Especially with the parking brake cable attached to the mount.
A lot of questions I know, and honestly if I could afford it, I would have sent the galaxie to someone. Just trying to get the ol’ girl back on the road where she belongs.
I also read that in another post about the smaller 9” and bearings. As I am not planning on increasing motor output, I would like to believe that leaving the smaller components as is will suffice. At least until I get the transmission situation figured out...?
Thank you for all your help so far.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thanks for the reply DesertXL, the C6 seems to be the way to go with it. Is there an issue with the input or output spline count if the C6 was sourced from a similar year? Any information on the flexplate, starter, linkage? If I remember, it’s a TV cable for the kickdown rather than the rod?
Some of the other posts I have been reading have said that the tranny mount should work, does anyone know if that is the case? Especially with the parking brake cable attached to the mount.
A lot of questions I know, and honestly if I could afford it, I would have sent the galaxie to someone. Just trying to get the ol’ girl back on the road where she belongs.
I also read that in another post about the smaller 9” and bearings. As I am not planning on increasing motor output, I would like to believe that leaving the smaller components as is will suffice. At least until I get the transmission situation figured out...?
Thank you for all your help so far.
Hello Mstngmatt,

Let me see if I can share anything else useful for you. The C6 uses a downshift rod for WOT, otherwise for part throttle shift control it uses the vacuum modulator same as the FX/MX trannys. Here's some other information you may find useful. 1966 is the first and only year of the C6 with Dual Range (same as your FX) with the green dot open dot valve body. '67 and later C6's use the more familiar PRND21 pattern. I've seen different length tail shaft C6's, not sure how many variants the FE specific case has. You'll make a life a whole lot easier if you find one for the full size Ford.

A word on the transmission mounts, the C4/C6 mount is now discontinued, has been for about a year, this has driven up the price of the existing NOS stock rather high, do not be surprised to pay 75-100 dollars just for a mount. The FX/MX mount is shorter in height and the bolt spacing is wrong. You can elongate the bolt holes but the engine/transmission centre line angle (referenced to the chassis) is now more extreme and I don't know if there is enough adjustment in the upper rear control arm to adjust pinion angle to match as you are probably well aware of the pinion angle must match the engine/transmission angle for constant velocity to occur at the rear axle, otherwise you'll end up with driveline vibrations.

If you find a propshaft and C6 from a 66 to 68 Ford full size you'll want the pinion yoke too off the 9 inch. Like I mentioned earlier anything with a C6 transmission came with the heavy duty rear axle and larger Cardan joints. They do sell 1330 to 1310 Cardan joints but I'm not sure how well they work and if there is a angle limit. The yokes on the 3rd gen Fords are the long ones and I have not seen them for sale, you can buy the shorter ones (common) but then your propshaft will be too short.

We do not own any '65's (plenty of '66's and '68's) but I do know the '65 had a straight transmission cross member, the '66'-'68 is boomerang shaped to accommodate the FX/MX and C6. I do not have the frame dimensions for the '65 but you may also want the later transmission cross member to make your life easier.

As for connecting the C6 to the centre console, that I am not sure on. We have a '66 galaxie 500 XL but that came with a C6 as well as a '68 XL with factory floor shift and that was a C6 car. Now the input selector on a C6 is different for column shift vs floor shift. They are physically shaped differently, but I've heard of people just flipping the lever around (well once you take the valve body out to detach it). Here's a link to a post I'm doing that shows the C6 configuration your after. C6 portion of build

As far as flexplates and output shafts. The flexplate on the 352 will work and you'll need a yoke or a complete propshaft off a car as the yoke for a C6 is bigger than the FX, but it's also the same as the MX. The C6 for FE needs a converter for an FE, no other torque convertor will work as the pilot diameter is also unique to the FE, which makes the torque convertors now a bit pricy.

One last tidbit, age kills a transmission as much as mileage does. So if you find an old transmission and the seller says it worked when it was pulled, I would plan on a rebuild as it probably will not last long or be reliable. Seals love to harden or in some cases get soft over the years even with minimal mileage. I rebuilt the TH-400 in my '73 Caprice Classic 25 years ago and two years ago, it wouldn't go into reverse when cold. I probably put 25,000 miles on it in 25 years. So last winter I rebuilt it again, some of the seals shrank, some turned hard, some turned really spongy and some were fine. Take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for all the good info, I would love to go the C6 way, just a little bit much for me to chew off right now.
I chose to (try) and rebuild the COM FX Small Case that was currently in it and I am about to assemble it.
First rebuild of a transmission so it’s been an adventure. 👍🏼
I will let y’all know how it went!

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all, I asked this question in another thread also, thought I would see if anyone had any advice.

Hey all, update on the rebuild!

Everything is back together in the tranny and bolted up to the car. Just finished filling it up with tranny fluid and took it for a test ride to shake it out.

Car moves in forward and reverse. Yay big win for me.

On the test drive, however, the tranny won’t shift out of first in Green Dot and won’t shift into 3rd in Small Dot. I can shift it from Green Dot to Little Dot to get it to go from 1st to 2nd but no 3rd.

Car had the same problem before rebuild so I’m not sure what I am missing.

Any advice? Band adjustment? Valve body issue?

A bit of a bummer, got myself a little too excited when it actually shifted into gear initially after the rebuild. 😐

·
Subscriber
749 Posts
man, i'm not a transmission guy but i'll try help:
"On the test drive, however, the tranny won’t shift out of first in Green Dot "

is there any chance the linkage is off by one position? the statement above sounds like the trans is in L.
(its not a good explanation for the other, but....worth checking)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts