Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 XL and recently had the carburetor rebuilt as well as put new plugs and wires on it. I got it back after having front disc brakes installed and couldn’t get it restarted. Sounded like it was out of gas but that was not the issue. It finally started up again after pouring gas in the carburetor and then while driving it it sputtered and shut down. When I crank it it will start up and then sputter And die I’m mediately. I was looking for the fuel filter to see if it was clogged up. It had a new gas tank installed 6 years ago.

suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the carb was recently rebuilt, you may have some more tuning to do on it. Is it the original Autolite? There are the "bench" adjustments that will get you close enough to get it going, but you have to fine tune your idle mixture and wet float level on the car while running. Start with the idle mixture screws backed out 1.5 turns from all the way in and dial it in when the car is idling at the specified RPM and warmed up for the smoothest idle. The best way to adjust this is with a vacuum gauge and adjust for the highest, constant manifold vacuum, but you can get close by ear. The wet float setting is done by measuring the fuel in the primary fuel bowl with a machinists ruler. You have to remove the air horn and rotate it and the gasket over to the side so you can get into the bowl while the engine is running, but without splashing gas everywhere. The rough measurement for the 2100/4100 carbs is about 7/8" from the edge of the fuel bowl on the rear corner of it to the the low point on the lens of the fluid in the fuel bowl. If they just put a kit in it and didn't get those adjustments close, it may be too far off to get going and keep going. The choke is another trick, but I don't think that's your issue right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mate! I’m sharing this info In Real time with my friends who helped restore I will report back!

·
Registered
63 convertable
651 Posts
float level being off a bit won't make it die. wrong mixture --yes. pull the line from the carb and put it in a container. disable the spark(ground the coil wire) and crank the engine for 15 seconds. tell us how much fuel you get

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! I’m Harvesting all this information and taking it to my mechanic. Appreciate it and glad I found this forum!

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
If you have the Autolite carb, i would remove the lid and see if there's gas in the float chamber at the correct level. Then crank it and see if that fixes the problem. If not, figure out why not.

Suspect the fuel pump and bad carb rebuild, which could include switching the front and back floats, bad gasketing, trying to fit a 4100 spacer on an Edelbrock intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts