Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I foolishly didn't take great detailed photos of my bucket seats when I took them apart. Looking at the fuzzy parts catalog diagrams doesn't help. Specifically, I have some nylon washers that I don't know the locations of. Also, I have large spacers on the front of the tracks, but none on the rear...the diagrams show something different...any help is appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Kelly

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hi friends,

I foolishly didn't take great detailed photos of my bucket seats when I took them apart. Looking at the fuzzy parts catalog diagrams doesn't help. Specifically, I have some nylon washers that I don't know the locations of. Also, I have large spacers on the front of the tracks, but none on the rear...the diagrams show something different...any help is appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Kelly
Hello Jazzmeister,

On the 65/66 bucket seats my better half and I redid the ones for her car. We posted quite a few pictures if you wish to review them. The completed seats are just sitting in the house if you need any specific shot from underneath, but I'm pretty sure we covered just about everything in the '66 gal 500 XL thread at the top of the forum.

Lemme know.

Cheers

·
Administrator
22,138 Posts
Those nylon washers might be the spacers where a screw goes through to hold the side trim on or if you have a bucket like piece around the bottom like a '64. It goes between seat frame and metal 'bucket' then screw goes through from outside to the frame. They keep the screw from crushing the metal trim around the bottom of the seat. That was probably clear as mud. The ones on mine had 2 in front and 2 in back if i remember right. Yours may be different and DesertXL's pics may show them and be better than my thoughts!

This is one of my seats to at least show the shell around the bottom of the seat where some of those nylon spacers went on mine. Might spark a thought.
Sewing machine Automotive design Home appliance Wood Fender

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those nylon washers might be the spacers where a screw goes through to hold the side trim on or if you have a bucket like piece around the bottom like a '64. It goes between seat frame and metal 'bucket' then screw goes through from outside to the frame. They keep the screw from crushing the metal trim around the bottom of the seat. That was probably clear as mud. The ones on mine had 2 in front and 2 in back if i remember right. Yours may be different and DesertXL's pics may show them and be better than my thoughts!

This is one of my seats to at least show the shell around the bottom of the seat where some of those nylon spacers went on mine. Might spark a thought.
View attachment 174208
Nice...those look exactly like mine, and that was where I was picturing the washers going. Thank you for the reassurance. That seat looks great, BTW!

The diagram shows that there is maybe a shim/spacer on the back bolt/screw between the track and the frame...do you have that? The photos I took don't make it look like there was anything on the back, just the front.

Hello Jazzmeister,

On the 65/66 bucket seats my better half and I redid the ones for her car. We posted quite a few pictures if you wish to review them. The completed seats are just sitting in the house if you need any specific shot from underneath, but I'm pretty sure we covered just about everything in the '66 gal 500 XL thread at the top of the forum.

Lemme know.

Cheers
Yes, I remember seeing yours, and I know you always have detailed pics. I looked last night before posting, but I didn't see that detail...might have missed it somewhere, so I'll take another look. These are some elaborate seats, eh?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Nice...those look exactly like mine, and that was where I was picturing the washers going. Thank you for the reassurance. That seat looks great, BTW!

The diagram shows that there is maybe a shim/spacer on the back bolt/screw between the track and the frame...do you have that? The photos I took don't make it look like there was anything on the back, just the front.

Yes, I remember seeing yours, and I know you always have detailed pics. I looked last night before posting, but I didn't see that detail...might have missed it somewhere, so I'll take another look. These are some elaborate seats, eh?

Thanks guys!
Hi Jazzmeister,

Since I am unsure what detail of photo you need specifically, if you could post a picture of the parts you have that are in question I might be able to hone a photo specifically for those parts. Now the seats are fully assembled and I'll do my best to obtain a photo you need without disassembling them.

Those are nice seats but such a vampire of time and energy to redo. I can see why Ford ended up with a cheap bucket seat for 1968.

Cheers

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jazzmeister,

Since I am unsure what detail of photo you need specifically, if you could post a picture of the parts you have that are in question I might be able to hone a photo specifically for those parts. Now the seats are fully assembled and I'll do my best to obtain a photo you need without disassembling them.

Those are nice seats but such a vampire of time and energy to redo. I can see why Ford ended up with a cheap bucket seat for 1968.

Cheers
Okay, here are the washers in question. One was around the seat-back adjuster stud in my parts baggie, and it is the same ID, but I didn’t think that looked right.

Finger Wood Thumb Circle Button

And here is the seat-track as I have it arranged, but the diagram shows perhaps a separate part. just want to make sure I’m not missing a shim or washer..

Guitar accessory Sleeve Wood Sportswear Crankset

White Handwriting Font Line Art

These are the diagram sections of interest.

On a side note, I was very disappointed in the quality of the new foams from Distinctive Industries. The shape was really quite different than the originals, and left some wrinkles in the seat covers that I found unacceptable. They are too oversized, and don’t have corners like the originals. Fortunately, my original foams were in fair shape, and look much better recovered. Of course I still replaced my horsehair and burlap, but I would not recommend the new foams.

Plant Automotive design Road surface Automotive tire Hood

Plant Hood Grass Tints and shades Automotive exterior

This was the best I could get with the new foam…that will not do for my taste. Here is the final result with the old foams:
Sleeve Wood Hood Rectangle Automotive exterior

Comfort Couch Wood Rectangle Flooring

Comfort Gesture Wood Floor Flooring

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,138 Posts
Found a pic! Whether it's the same on your seat I don't know but most of the seats are basically the same only the pattern of the vinyl is different. This is the front of the seat. I tried to get pics of things like this but been so long ago I didn't know if I did or not! Wish I'd done same on visors to know how the holder for the ends was attached.

As for the foam. I was not impressed with mine either. I carved my own for the one seat then thought maybe I will try the repop for the other front bucket. It was way too thick and wish I'd broke out the electric knife and trimmed it somehow. It started as driver seat but I swapped it over to the other side. Could barely get my legs under the steering wheel it was so high. My son is 6' 3" and can look over the windshield with little effort as from eye brow up it's already over! I don't have the ambition to take that seat apart and fix it.

Hope the pic helps.

Wood Fish Art Marine biology Cuisine

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found a pic! Whether it's the same on your seat I don't know but most of the seats are basically the same only the pattern of the vinyl is different. This is the front of the seat. I tried to get pics of things like this but been so long ago I didn't know if I did or not! Wish I'd done same on visors to know how the holder for the ends was attached.

As for the foam. I was not impressed with mine either. I carved my own for the one seat then thought maybe I will try the repop for the other front bucket. It was way too thick and wish I'd broke out the electric knife and trimmed it somehow. It started as driver seat but I swapped it over to the other side. Could barely get my legs under the steering wheel it was so high. My son is 6' 3" and can look over the windshield with little effort as from eye brow up it's already over! I don't have the ambition to take that seat apart and fix it.

Hope the pic helps.

View attachment 174227
Wow, excellent! That sure looks like the ticket! I really appreciate it...that is not where I would have probably put them.

·
Administrator
22,138 Posts
I went and took some pics of my tracks for ya.

Inside

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Crankset Bumper

Outside with adjuster. I didn't get it all in one pic so sent one with rear of track and then the front part of track. Didn't get the very top but both sides are the same in the front. Obviously didn't do mine with politically correct fabrics. Not to mention probably four shades of white and patterns as I made my own covers buying remnants and had to go find a match which became match as close as I could and then also had to fix a mistake I made which caused me to need yet another remnant! lol The base is the stuff from a hideabed couch I tore up and tossed in the trash and keeping stuff "i might need some day" and actually did use! Think I might also have burlap above that! I was winging it as I had no clue what I was doing!

Hood Bumper Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior Rim

Here's a before, so no matter how they came out they were a huge improvement! I had some grey foam stuck under what was left of the vinyl which is the other stuff poking through. The back seat only had a tiny bit of foam left at edges by the time i covered it last year. Had a thin piece of like wood paneling under the vinyl and 3" foam and mexican blanket over top. I bought the cover as I knew I wasn't going to get around to making that seat cover! 2008 or so did passenger seat, 2018 or longer for driver seat and 2022 for back seat. Procrastination is my middle name!

Wood Bedrock Trunk Formation Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went and took some pics of my tracks for ya.

Inside

View attachment 174229

Outside with adjuster. I didn't get it all in one pic so sent one with rear of track and then the front part of track. Didn't get the very top but both sides are the same in the front. Obviously didn't do mine with politically correct fabrics. Not to mention probably four shades of white and patterns as I made my own covers buying remnants and had to go find a match which became match as close as I could and then also had to fix a mistake I made which caused me to need yet another remnant! lol The base is the stuff from a hideabed couch I tore up and tossed in the trash and keeping stuff "i might need some day" and actually did use! Think I might also have burlap above that! I was winging it as I had no clue what I was doing!

View attachment 174231

View attachment 174230

Here's a before, so no matter how they came out they were a huge improvement! I had some grey foam stuck under what was left of the vinyl which is the other stuff poking through. The back seat only had a tiny bit of foam left at edges by the time i covered it last year. Had a thin piece of like wood paneling under the vinyl and 3" foam and mexican blanket over top. I bought the cover as I knew I wasn't going to get around to making that seat cover! 2008 or so did passenger seat, 2018 or longer for driver seat and 2022 for back seat. Procrastination is my middle name!

View attachment 174234
Well, that was quite the transformation! Thanks for the pics, I guess there is nothing between the track and frame at the rear after all. Many thanks!!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Okay, here are the washers in question. One was around the seat-back adjuster stud in my parts baggie, and it is the same ID, but I didn’t think that looked right.

View attachment 174212

And here is the seat-track as I have it arranged, but the diagram shows perhaps a separate part. just want to make sure I’m not missing a shim or washer..

View attachment 174213

View attachment 174215

These are the diagram sections of interest.

On a side note, I was very disappointed in the quality of the new foams from Distinctive Industries. The shape was really quite different than the originals, and left some wrinkles in the seat covers that I found unacceptable. They are too oversized, and don’t have corners like the originals. Fortunately, my original foams were in fair shape, and look much better recovered. Of course I still replaced my horsehair and burlap, but I would not recommend the new foams.

View attachment 174217
View attachment 174216
This was the best I could get with the new foam…that will not do for my taste. Here is the final result with the old foams:
View attachment 174219
View attachment 174220
View attachment 174218
HI Jazzmeister,

Did you ever suss out where the polymer (looked like nylon?) round washers went? I do not recall those washers when we did the '66 buckets. As Shotrod pictures called out there is no spacer in the rear track to seat attachment, only the front. I can't help but feel that was a "whoops" in the engineering department as the front spacers look rather home-made-ish from the factory.

That's interesting about the seat foams. I can't remember honestly where we bought ours from they have been sitting so long even before we reupholstered them. Now whilst we didn't tie down the centre of the bottom seat as we thought they looked better, the seat foams themselves fit pretty well.

Did you finish the front seats in their entirety?

Cheers

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HI Jazzmeister,

Did you ever suss out where the polymer (looked like nylon?) round washers went? I do not recall those washers when we did the '66 buckets. As Shotrod pictures called out there is no spacer in the rear track to seat attachment, only the front. I can't help but feel that was a "whoops" in the engineering department as the front spacers look rather home-made-ish from the factory.

That's interesting about the seat foams. I can't remember honestly where we bought ours from they have been sitting so long even before we reupholstered them. Now whilst we didn't tie down the centre of the bottom seat as we thought they looked better, the seat foams themselves fit pretty well.

Did you finish the front seats in their entirety?

Cheers
Well, judging by Shotrod’s photos, the spacers go between the stamped-metal seat pan and the vinyl on the front. I only had four total spacers though, so I had to think it was just one side on each seat. I noticed when blasting my pans that there was some butyl-type material around the screw eyelets on the front. I must assume that was used to keep the spacers in place for assembly. The punched hole in these areas does have a bit of a flange, so I can see how the spacer would prevent crushing the sheet metal on tightening the screws.

I haven’t got them all done yet, but just most of my driver seat. Things like this quickly burn me out, and I’m better doing something else for a while and coming back to them. I had all the trim chrome plated for an as-new look. I realize these were bright-dip anodized aluminum in the first place, but I elected to go with chrome for additional hardness and durability. Unfortunately, my plater could not offer any help on the center brushed-aluminum trim on the seat back. I’m experimenting with a brushed stainless Mylar film to replicate the look. I have gotten close, and need to tweak my technique. I plan to report my findings once I have it figured out.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle

Wood Bumper Asphalt Glove Road surface
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Comfort Wood
Tin Household hardware Gas Cylinder Auto part
Furniture Cabinetry Comfort Wood Hardwood

Motor vehicle Automotive design Comfort Car seat cover Armrest

Hood Sleeve Automotive design Vehicle door Personal luxury car

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Well, judging by Shotrod’s photos, the spacers go between the stamped-metal seat pan and the vinyl on the front. I only had four total spacers though, so I had to think it was just one side on each seat. I noticed when blasting my pans that there was some butyl-type material around the screw eyelets on the front. I must assume that was used to keep the spacers in place for assembly. The punched hole in these areas does have a bit of a flange, so I can see how the spacer would prevent crushing the sheet metal on tightening the screws.

I haven’t got them all done yet, but just most of my driver seat. Things like this quickly burn me out, and I’m better doing something else for a while and coming back to them. I had all the trim chrome plated for an as-new look. I realize these were bright-dip anodized aluminum in the first place, but I elected to go with chrome for additional hardness and durability. Unfortunately, my plater could not offer any help on the center brushed-aluminum trim on the seat back. I’m experimenting with a brushed stainless Mylar film to replicate the look. I have gotten close, and need to tweak my technique. I plan to report my findings once I have it figured out.

View attachment 174330
View attachment 174331 View attachment 174332
View attachment 174333 View attachment 174334 View attachment 174335
View attachment 174336
View attachment 174337
Hello jazzmeister,

Wow your seats look great. I like the polished surround trim. That's interesting about the spacers. I wonder if by '66, which I believe was the last year for these seats Ford just left the nylon washers out.... either that or someone else had our seats apart and lost them decades ago.

Cheers

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I wanted to report back once I had it on, but I think I’ve found a bit of a hack to repair the seat back aluminum trim. I took these to the chrome plater, and they said no-go on redoing those successfully. They recommended I just use them, but I couldn’t live with the scratched surface on otherwise perfect seats. I honestly woke up one night and the thought occurred to me to use a brushed-stainless appliqué to cover the damaged area. I got some stuff on Amazon that’s meant mainly for appliances to create a faux-stainless look. I had to use a mechanics stone to smoothie burs around the scratched areas to make the sheet lay flat, but once on, a fairly convincing look, and could be redone if need be in the future. This certainly looks better than the scratched surface in my view. If I ever see a great, undamaged set (highly unlikely), I will get them for sure, but this will do for now. So, one seat done…on to the next adventure!
Tin Fluid Rectangle Grey Gas
Rectangle Hood Automotive exterior Netbook Bumper
Netbook Wood Rectangle Office equipment Gadget
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design
Furniture Motor vehicle Comfort Automotive design Armrest

Comfort Motor vehicle Wood Rectangle Couch

Product Rectangle Bag Material property Tints and shades

Tin Cylinder Gas Wood Composite material

1 - 17 of 17 Posts