Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have 2.5" tailpipes from Flowmaster on their 65-66 Stang? How do they fit? Can I get them to exit throught the GT valence holes? Got a pic? Also, does not having tailpipes make you stink? My car has a straight exit out of the car, no dumps, and it makes me smell like fuel. Is the mixture just rich or is this a common problem?

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have 2 1/2 inch flows on my 67 coupe. they came out right before the rear wheels straight down. I never really noticed smelling like fuel...hope that helps.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have the 2.5 tailpipes on my '67 Cougar from flowmaster. The shop was thrilled when they saw flowmaster. They said "they always fit, never had a problem" so I'm guessing that would probably carry over to the '66 pipes. As for the stinking of fuel, mine did that before, and I still had tailpipes. I think you're just running rich, or you have a leak.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Exhaust smell in Mustangs is usally a poor deck lid gasket, is yours soft and pliable or is it harder than Algebra?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have the exact setup your talking about on my 65 fastback. I have the flow master tail pipes and i had the exhaust shop bend the ends up and out the GT holes. The guy said it was a really tight fit and it looks like it, but i can be done.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The exhaust smell can be a problem on the older stangs when the pipes run straight out the back and don't turn down(like the GTs)The exhaust seems to swirl up behind the car and can come in if you have any holes or spaces for it to come in through.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I run 2.5", but could not go over the rear end because of the over the rear end sway bar, so we dumped right out of the muffler, and I do get exhaust fumes in the car on occasion, because all the seals are cracked and detieorated, but it is not to bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts