Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a working 65 66 power window switch that goes into the console? I have a few spare ones that seem to be more loose. They don't return back to neutral position. Anyone have experience with these particular switches? Appears to be no springs in there...so what keeps them springing back to center and any repair if they are not?

·
Registered
232 Posts
You should consider swapping to the 3-terminal 1964-66 Thunderbird PW switches. They are the same size yet simpler, more plentiful, easier to rebuild / maintain and cheaper.

I did a write-up on it a few years back. Do some searching in this forum to find it. You'll need to do a little rewiring and add relays, but not too complicated. Overall well worth the effort.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should consider swapping to the 3-terminal 1964-66 Thunderbird PW switches. They are the same size yet simpler, more plentiful, easier to rebuild / maintain and cheaper.

I did a write-up on it a few years back. Do some searching in this forum to find it. You'll need to do a little rewiring and add relays, but not too complicated. Overall well worth the effort.
I figured I would go that route if I couldn't make the switches I have work.
Do additional wires have to be run to console to make Tbird switches work or can the wiring be all changed from under the console plate without running new wires?

I found out that there are metal prongs in under switch knob that keep it centered and sometimes they corrode. I also found a NOS switch--guy wants $250 for it though...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been trying to rebuild my switches as well, I haven't made it too far. I'm surprised you have found a NOS switch, but that is pricey. I need to rebuild all 4 in the console. If you have any success, please let me know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been trying to rebuild my switches as well, I haven't made it too far. I'm surprised you have found a NOS switch, but that is pricey. I need to rebuild all 4 in the console. If you have any success, please let me know.
I am testing the switches now. Power moves the right way on most switches...but won't put window up. So now I am hunting to see if there is a ground issue.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Power Window Conversion - 1966 Thunderbird switches in...

If you ask me, those 4-terminal PW switches used in 1965-66 Galaxies were a poor design. They are also rare and very expensive to find NOS or low-mile original.

The 3-terminal switches used in 1964-66 Thunderbirds are more reliable, easy to maintain, plentiful, cheap and even available after market. However, you need to do some re-wiring, add relays and idealy make dedicated circuits for each PW motor.

This is all discussed in the thread above.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out it was a loose wire in the kickplate. I did buy a NOS switch in the meantime. My cleaning may have worked but--I didn't test once I found the new switch and break in wiring, Have not seen another nos switch since.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If I recall, somewhere between 2.5-3% of full-size Fords in 1965-66 had power windows. Of those, less than 10% were XL's or 7-Litres with center consoles. Factoring in attrition rate, it helps explain why NOS power window switches are so rare ... and expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts