Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
The bar itself should fit, they are all very similar.
I put a 1978 T-Bird front bar on my 1966 Galaxie 500XL.
Had to mount the frame bushings on the frame, rather than on the stock brackets that stick out from the frame.

Differences will be the frame brackets and end links.
You should be able to make it work.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The bar itself should fit, they are all very similar.
I put a 1978 T-Bird front bar on my 1966 Galaxie 500XL.
Had to mount the frame bushings on the frame, rather than on the stock brackets that stick out from the frame.

Differences will be the frame brackets and end links.
You should be able to make it work.
Thanks, that is a bit of a relief. Glad the answer wasn't NO WAY. I sent PMT an email and will share the response once I hear.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Wow, you didn't waste any time!

I've found PMT to be very responsive. I had a question regarding the rear sway bar included in the kit I purchased so I called and left a message. They called me back within an hour, answered my question and were friendly to deal with.

That was my experience, hopefully that hasn't changed.

Reactions: craving77494

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After talking with Mark at PMT, the front sway bar will not fit as the 69' is wider. He did offer to make one for me, but I am scared of the price. Will send Mark pics and find out what the damage would be and report back.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another update, After talking with Mark and exchanging some pictures and measurements, he is pretty sure that the sway bar will fit. Top notch service from April and Mark at PMT. @289Galaxie, you were spot on with your comment about their customer service.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Glad that they're willing to work with you and their customer first attitude hasn't changed.

Are they going to send you the sway bar to be sure that it fits? If it doesn't fit are they willing to take it back and issue a refund?

On a side note, I was watching one of the many car shows on tv and saw that on one of the builds they were using PMT Fabrication products. Can't remember if it was Iron Resurrection or another one but I was pleasantly surprised to see someone other than the usual suspects getting some air time.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad that they're willing to work with you and their customer first attitude hasn't changed.

Are they going to send you the sway bar to be sure that it fits? If it doesn't fit are they willing to take it back and issue a refund?

On a side note, I was watching one of the many car shows on tv and saw that on one of the builds they were using PMT Fabrication products. Can't remember if it was Iron Resurrection or another one but I was pleasantly surprised to see someone other than the usual suspects getting some air time.
Yeah, Mark and I talked in length over several calls. Based on measurements, it should work. He was excited to know that I would report back so that he can change his website to reflect the 69' - 70' fitment. April was reviewing my order and noticed that I did not have the rear sway bar, only the control arms and panhard bar, so although it was an added cost I did not account for, it will be nice to have the most of the PMT lineup. Now I have the rear non adjustable control arms, panhard bar, sway bar and front sway bar, assuming it fits!

Really appreciate you helping me spend my money :sneaky:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Keep in mind that the upper arm is adjustable to account for pinion angle.

Glad I could help you spend your money. I'm so upside down on my project I just want others to feel the love, too!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I was/am pretty sure the sway bar would fit.

If I can install a 78 T-Bird bar on my 66 Gal I don't see why the 69 would be that much different.

The frame design and suspension is "basically" the same from 65 to late 70's.

Heck I once put a power steering box on a 67 Gal from a 75 LTD.

·
Registered
434 Posts
galaxiex, And I once put an FMX floor shifter lever in an FX column shift transmission. Oh wait. You already knew that...........

Reactions: galaxiex

·
Registered
434 Posts
Any updates on this project, craving77494? Wondering how it all went together if you've gotten that far yet.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any updates on this project, craving77494? Wondering how it all went together if you've gotten that far yet.
Still waiting for parts to be delivered. For now it’s smoothing out the firewall and getting parts ready to go back in. Rear end is done and waiting on PMT for those parts as well. Had the 2.75 one tire fire changed to 3.50 and positrac.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Wow, looks like you're all in on this project! The firewall looks to be coming out really nice and everything appears to be pretty solid.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten the parts from PMT yet. I don't remember having to wait long once I placed my order. Maybe it's a Coronavirus thing. That's what all the suppliers seem to be saying anyway.

Keep us informed as the project goes along, it's always good to hear how others address issues that may come up.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks 289Galaxie.
Here's whats ordered or here for the project:
Chrome tilt column - Mocked up and new plate fab'd for firewall with single 2" hole
Chrome dual diaphragm booster and master cylinder with new fab'd firewall mounting plate
Dakota Digital Dash
PMT Front sway bar, rear rear trailing arms, rear sway bar and panhard
American Autowire Highway 22 with trunk extensions
Front end is completely rebuilt with new parts and painted (upper/lower bushings, upper/lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, center link, pitman arm, idler arm) waiting to go back in once the frame is painted

The body will be shaved of door handles, locks, truck lock, side markers, fuel filler door and emblems. Also plan on doing the vacuum to electric conversion for the headlight doors from a Ford Probe.

Motor is scheduled to be at the performance shop but I need to get it torn down.

Thanks for checking in.

·
Registered
1969 Galaxie XL - 390 FE
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got my parts from PMT Fabrication. The front sway bar looks identical except twice as beefy. Only difference geometrically is the end link eye to eye measurement is 1/2" shorter than the original. Hoping this is not a big deal since the end links have bushings. Will this pose a problem in the overall scheme of things?

·
Registered
434 Posts
So it looks like the sway bar bolted up without any issues and you got the PMT strut rods, too. Nice!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts