Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have read the 66 and up tanks have more capacity then the 65s so I am wondering if someone installed a 66 and up sending unit in my 65 custom,when the tank is full the gauge goes way over full and when its right at E its out of gas. I am use to it but was wondering why the gauge goes way past full. Jeff

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
No, the extra capacity is due to the 66+ tanks being deeper than the 65 tank. The extra gas is basically an unrecoverable reserve. You would need a longer pickup to reach the rest of the gas.

So when your gage reads empty, you still have gas..you just can use it.

You can over fill any gas tank. You are just taking advantage if the safe (expansion) zone that the factory recommends. Not a real big deal...well maybe a potential fire hazard or maybe a waste of what is now very expensive gas...with newer car that have the recovery units and charcoal filters...it can also be expensive if you have to replace parts of that smog prevention system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/22/06 7:28am ]</font>

·
Registered
92 Posts
The '66 sender won't go in the '65 tank, its too long to fit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BillBallinger on 6/22/06 11:15am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
I just got a sender from autometer and there is a table with it showing what lengths to adjust the stem and float arm, depending on the depth of the tank. Roughly, the stem goes down 1/2 way and the float sits out on the arm that same distance, forming a 45 deg angle as it floats to the top and bottom of the tank. Based on that I would say your stem has become too long, creating too sharp an angle when the float is at the top. That over-grounds the sender. The float might need to be moved out on the arm too, if possible.
See if you can find a table for your sender, otherwise, I'd get out your HS geometry book and start measuring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts