Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know that the 65 and 66 share hundreds of the same kind of parts all over. My question is what parts ARENT compatable. I found a 66 driver with a 289 and he wants $1000 for it. This may be worth it if I can get enough parts off it. So, what parts wont match? All I know is that the rear windows (2dr) look different and so does front and rear design. Other than that is a guess.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Other than mechanical parts, there is very little that will interchange body wise. here's a rundown on body parts that do
The doors (2 door) or front only (4 door)
windshield (all styles)
4 door side & rear glass, also 2 door post
2 door hardtop door glass
maybe trunk lid (not hood)
Frame & suspension parts
Pedals, radio, assorted controls, switches,as I said,
anything mechanical AFIK
Soft interior trims like door panels and seats interchange
but the style is obviously different. Even the dash pads, which appear identical at first glance, are different. On a 65, the radio speaker opening is fully cut out, revealing the metal speaker grill
of a non-padded dash underneath. The 66 grill is hundreds of holes
punched thru the vinyl, which , as many can attest, is problematic because the holes rot out at that spot. Try finding
a good one that doesn't have this problem. You cant!

I guess it depends on what you want out of the deal

·
Registered
284 Posts
any body ever try a qtr panel partial replacement from a 66 to a 65? I have wondered for a while if that could be done since the 66 has a higher wheel opening than the 65.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What I meant was , yes it will interchange but it's different, and ,yes the body lines do line up but it's still not correct if he's after a correct looking car. A door, on the other hand, is the exact same part. I just assumed he meant which parts are identically the same for both years

·
Registered
322 Posts
re the quarter panel, not only is the wheel opening higher, but as far as I can see by comparing pics of both years, the top part is different, too. The 65 seems straight as a razor to the taillight while the 66 has a slight taper. Very subtle difference but one nonetheless

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-06-05 12:21, Phalanx wrote:
any body ever try a qtr panel partial replacement from a 66 to a 65? I have wondered for a while if that could be done since the 66 has a higher wheel opening than the 65.
Direct swap no. The tail of the 66 is longer.Supposedly

1973 Gran Torino Sport (sold)

2004 Cobra
2004 Marauder

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 6/6/06 3:29am ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts