Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, old guy newbie question. Have a 65 convertible that my dad bought new that I'm planning on swapping a 460/C6 from a 74 T-bird. I've been rolling thu the forum and I've seen a lot of posts from a while back but looking for something more recent....if I missed them apologies. Wondering about motor mount issues and anything else that I might run into doing this swap. Was an original 289 car that I blew up when I was in high school....Dad put it in the barn and it's been there since 82. I have the motor and trans just wondering what I'm going to run into, like I said saw a lot of posts that were over 10 years old about this swap but thinking maybe there/s some more modern solutions to the motor mount issue and anything else I'm going to bang my head into?
Thanks

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
133 Posts
Hey guys, old guy newbie question. Have a 65 convertible that my dad bought new that I'm planning on swapping a 460/C6 from a 74 T-bird. I've been rolling thu the forum and I've seen a lot of posts from a while back but looking for something more recent....if I missed them apologies. Wondering about motor mount issues and anything else that I might run into doing this swap. Was an original 289 car that I blew up when I was in high school....Dad put it in the barn and it's been there since 82. I have the motor and trans just wondering what I'm going to run into, like I said saw a lot of posts that were over 10 years old about this swap but thinking maybe there/s some more modern solutions to the motor mount issue and anything else I'm going to bang my head into?
Thanks
What kind of rear end does it have? You will probably need to switch out the driveline as well. Motor mounts, not sure, but that motor will definitely fit.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Crites has mount stuff for some swaps, might check there. You will probably need to put some heavier coils up front as 460 is much heavier than a 289. I know some that did a 352/390 swap to 460 and altered the 390 mounts to fit the 460 and only remember it wasn't much of an issue to do but can't give specifics. One of those was MonsterMach or MightyMach(forget which of the 2) in their Mach1. Might do some searches here as there's been a lot of people doing 460 swaps. Not sure if you will run into any issues with power steering, alternator etc and other items that bracketing might need to be changed or modified. Transmission mount, and as ahay mentioned, driveshaft altered. Seems like I remember there being different lengths on one end or the other that sometimes alteration on ds didn't need to be done. I'm sure someone here is a LOT more knowledgeable than I on this! Good luck on the project and great to see the ol gal getting put back into service again possibly,.

Below is the link for Crites Restoration

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was planning on having to replace the rear, haven't dragged it out of garage (yet, tomorrows project) but it's the stock one that backed the 289....driveshaft as well because of C6. Radiator, springs as well. The reason for the motor mount question was from past posts on here saying the motor would ride too high and far forward with the stock 390 mounts and not sure if that included the ones from Crites as well....that site is pretty badass appreciate the heads up on that one. Was wanting to get the engine and trans mounted first off then work my way to the rear etc. The posts I have been reading were mostly from the early 2000's so was wondering if there had been any updated parts that took care of the positioning issues with the motor mounts.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I was planning on having to replace the rear, haven't dragged it out of garage (yet, tomorrows project) but it's the stock one that backed the 289....driveshaft as well because of C6. Radiator, springs as well. The reason for the motor mount question was from past posts on here saying the motor would ride too high and far forward with the stock 390 mounts and not sure if that included the ones from Crites as well....that site is pretty badass appreciate the heads up on that one. Was wanting to get the engine and trans mounted first off then work my way to the rear etc. The posts I have been reading were mostly from the early 2000's so was wondering if there had been any updated parts that took care of the positioning issues with the motor mounts.
The Crites mount sit too high the 390 mounts need to be modified but they work. Even with the 390 mounts hood clearance is close. I had to use low profile intake manifold and carb with a low profile cleaner and I had about 1/2 to spare. It may take some searching but posted a lot when I did the swap and I found older post showing how to modify the 390 mounts.

Good luck
Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seems like a lot of engine (weight and torque) for a small frame. Probably need to reenforce the frame, shock towers, maybe some bracing for the engine compartment. Good luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seems like a lot of engine (weight and torque) for a small frame. Probably need to reenforce the frame, shock towers, maybe some bracing for the engine compartment. Good luck!
crites sites 3 inches high and 4 inches forward i have them in a 67 custom need to make my own one day put the motor back some as for headers fpa is the one to go with crites will drag the ground and the shorty only the passenger will fit, steering box and control arm hit the othere one and it wont fit as for the trans mount spin the crossmember around backwards install a pn1234 trans mount as for power brakes scarbird offers a nice kit uses late model brakes and us a 7 inch booster dual type with corvette master and a porportioning valve from cpp as for cooling the beast call afco get a dual pass radiator a cr 18lb cap taurus shroud and electric fan been there done all that on my blown 545 as for the rear i believe thats a 3 link i did have a cobra 8.8 disc rear out of a 99 mustard cut all the mounts offthe 7" rewelded them to the 8.8 and installed a drag link then as i pro streeted the car i went with a fll blown 9" mine is more of a pro mod axle but if you going to do all that put a 9 in it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas....looks like I'll have my hands full but nothing out of the question especially with the feedback on here which has already been really helpful.
I just found a '65 390 4-speed donor car that was rear ended and debating now if for a quick turnaround just drop the complete driveline from that car into the ragtop and be able to drive her until I have everything ready to go with the 460. Got the car over to garage last night and this weekend will be starting to go thru everything....would everything from the 390 car be compatible with mine? Was thinking that would take care of the issue with the rear axle as well for the swap. Don't want to jump into this too quickly lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts