Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
not really progress, but here's the dash before. a guy at work who specializes in vinyl and leather repairs is going to paint it, as well as the interior metal. also cleaned up the gauges, need to buy a lens before reassembly. will edit pics of that in later.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got the dash and doors stripped and primed. Used a little metal filler and a coat of glazing putty and was able to smooth everything out just fine. In the pics I haven't sanded the filler primer for the patch panel. Need to sand the a pillars, strip and prime the column, and remove the ign and wiper switch (no tools at home) and the interior will be ready for paint. Meanwhile I'm saving cash for as much new interior chrome as I can. I have a deadline of June 26, 10 year high school reunion. Need this interior done, a new torque converter, and the taillight panel/rear valance painted before then, it's looking pretty tough.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got the car back from the painter today. I got locked out of the shop Friday night and didn't get the wiper and ignition switch out so they are oversprayed, but I have extra paint for touchups. Looks good, hoping to get some of the interior in tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
She's coming along nicely but I gotta tear your ass up for TWO reasons... Reason TWO, those are some busted ass nasty fugly rim's.... :D

And reason ONE!

You wasted an entire patch panel on those two TINY holes you could have welded up with plugs and made to look new for about 1/4 the effort used to do the whole panel?????

I hate to say it but.... Those rim's are icky on that nice ass car!

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Its hard to tell but the square hole in the radio panel was enlarged, I would have done more work trying to make it look original with the curving and dimensions, so I used the patch panel.

The rims, I dunno...I want a set of styled steel wheels but I like these and they were cheap. I get a few compliments on them.

·
Registered
106 Posts

But the rim's... eeek, maybe I just have no taste ;) :)

That must be it. LOL JK. Everyone has different tastes. I think its all a matter of preference. Car is coming along nicely. MY new wheels should be in on Wednesday. Maybe I can get some opinions when I post up some pictures of them. Keep it up man.

Fred

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got some of the interior in. I still need to finish the drivers seat, get an cluster lens and a few other small parts, but the carpet took longer than I wanted it to and I didn't get anything else done.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
well here I am a few months later, decided to drop my motor/trans out to see what all the noise and vibration was, found 4 scuffed pistons. when i started this motor up for cam break in i didnt put coolant in it, late night, excited, **** happens. here's the result. anyway i grabbed a 289 block with 302 bottom end that was just remaned, after i get the block decked and pistons notched i'll get it all end, hopefully by the end of next week. cam and heads etc looked good and cleaned up.

went through the trans and swapped in a v8 direct drum that i squeezed 5 frictions into. the 3 clutch i6 drum was already down to the metal in some spots, fwd clutches looked good though. ill throw a pump gasket on it monday and air check, probably have time to clean it up a little too. i may take some easy off to the exhaust and try to get some of the gunk from my leaking intake off of it. i dont think our toyota sealer does really well with the domestic stuff for some reason so i'll use some rtv black. im going with straight sealer on the tailshaft housing this time too, no matter what i do with this particular tailshaft it freaking leaks!

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Sent the short block to the machine shop to get things straightened out. Probably getting new pistons and the deck machined, may balance it depending on the cost. Had a few minutes after work so i matched the intake up a little better, and welded some bungs into the exhaust for o2 sensors
pics are some burned clutches from the i6 direct clutch, a pic of the difference in the snap ring groove between i6 and v8 direct clutches, my heads after a little use, intake runners on my chinese air gap, and o2 sensor bung installation (dont laugh at my poor welding)

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Machine shop still says the motor will be ready tomorrow morning, meanwhile I took a mystique fan and fitted it and a controller to my radiator. It's a tight fit and unfortunately I don't have the engine in to judge, but I may be willing to do a little core support work to get this installed.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
thanks man, i was hoping to cruise with my girldfriend this weekend but i cant find the passenger seat track. she refuses to ride on a milk crate for some reason...

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Hey, I wasn't behind the wheel when that happened...actually I was laying on the pavement. Anyway I got the longblock built but forgot to email pics home...what can i say though its a longblock. Hopeful for good results tomorrow. I went from 6.400 pushrods to 6.821 due to some retainer clearance issues, but the rollers aren't centered on the valves now, so I may go to something like a 6.550 here soon.

my trainee and a newer tech putting their first pistons in!

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Took a full day but I got it running today. CHT is about 215F on the front, Radiator inlet is 195 and out is 175 with infared after a full warmup and drive. The fan comes on right after the thermostat and seems to keep everything cool but we will have to see in the 105F summer, and with a/c. Shifted in all three gears firmly and normally. Has a small leak at one of the trans cooler lines I will work on monday. I will have to get a new set of pushrods ordered before i put too many miles on it, rocker tips are way too far off center for my liking. At the moment the temp guage works :) and the fuel guage doesnt :( but i'll take the coolant temp FTW! right in the middle. Set the base timing at 12 but i dont like the way it hot starts, I'll keep tinkering.

Pre paint:

trainee pulling it off the stand

ready to go

tight fit

21 - 40 of 135 Posts