Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Still have many bugs to work out, BUT trans seems good, motor is in the car and car is at home again. Will have to park it for a couple weeks while I wait on some valvetrain parts, then hope to be using my night automotive classes to work on small things like brakes etc.

YouTube - Easy drive to gas station

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
kind of boring vids, but important. Installed a 30A circuit breaker in place of my 30A fuse for the electric fan. I blew the fuse when i dropped my choke wires from my old carb on the motor, and it made me decide to dummy proof the fan. The main logic was supposedly these fans will draw pretty high amperage for a short burst at startup, and over the motor it's hard to tell if the fan is running or not. I added a vid of the motor and fan running just to show, nothing mind blowing.

I rebuilt a 600cfm holley I had laying around and put it in place of the 450 I was using. I put a new choke cap on the 450 and hope to make some money back on ebay, we'll see. I thought about using the choke parts but the choke blade rod is too thin, I could make some bushings for it, but nobody here (Texas) uses them anyway and I can live without. I wish I had cut off the choke horn while had things apart though. The vacuum smoothed out alot with this carb, but probably because I set the idle a little higher. Linked to the before and after.

YouTube - Electic fan

YouTube - Vacuum reading

YouTube - Vacuum with 600cfm holley

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
redid the voltage regulator thats been giving me problems. got a swadj from dimension engineering. i learned my lesson about making sure my guages operate properly. the rockers come in today, daylight permitting i hope to install them after work.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The voltage regulator works correctly, but 6.3V is too high. I broke a bulb that I need to replace so I'll adjust it then. I got the rocker arms installed and the geometry looks alot better now. The valve covers wouldn't clear the locks so I cut the baffles off, when I check for wear at the next oil change I'll raise the baffles to clear.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Upgrade to a 3g alternator tonight. I grabbed a 98 v6 mustang alternator from pick n pull for about $30, along with a 2 speed taurus fan to be used later. The install was pretty easy as far as conversions go. It tested about 135 amps max. I left all the old wiring in just in case I want to change back for some reason. I plugged in where the old regulator was and doubled the wires back under the core support then up to the alternator. It got a little late so I'll have to loom everything another day. I guess the headlights are brighter, but I am definitely sure it runs smoother at idle and while driving, and especially when the fans kick on. When I switched to duraspark, back when I had the I6, I've always had a pulsing surge while cruising. Fixed.

Two alternators side by side, both 7" 12 o clock. The new mustang alternator isnt threaded so I need to tap it to make adjustment easier. I ground the flange off the old bolt so I could reverse it and get enough thread engagement, with some loctite, and I put a washer on the back that only hits the inner bearing race, a little over 1/16" thick.

Two wires going into the 3g harness, one is for alt light, other is ign

The other end of these two wires at the old regulator

New terminal ring for ground, metric bolt to the back of the alternator for ground.

wired up ready to install, except the power and ground come from the bottom instead of this.

Operational, need to tidy up wiring.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I am swapping in a T-5 after a friend offered to trade his complete toploader setup for my c4 setup, since this car is intended to be a daily driver and sometimes long trips, I would really like to have overdrive. I bought back an unused transmission that I sold to someone a few years back, got a bellhousing off of craigslist, and ordered a hydraulic clutch setup from Dazecars. The dazecars stuff looks well thought out! Clutch fork, block plate, hardware all came in today, and the flywheel is on the way.

I figured I would get the master mounted, it's simple but I took out the steering column and unbolted the brake pedal bracket to make it easier. I can probably go ahead and make a coat hanger pattern for a clutch line and just leave some extra to play with at the slave. I'm still thinking of options for the reservoir, thinking next to where the washer bag is now.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I got started on a radiator upgrade last night. I went with a 25" 2 row aluminum top tank from ebay, it cost about $150. Looks like decent quality, the welds aren't beautiful but they aren't poor either. I need to get new radiator hoses, I'll get them tomorrow, the 17" fan shroud will be around for a little while until I get to the pick n pull and find another dual fan setup. I just dont like the way the two speed taurus fan fit in there so I put it up on ebay. I went ahead and left the radiator a little off center to the drivers side. There is nothing there and it was just too much hassle to do more with the battery tray.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm kindof at a standstill right now until I get the T-5 swapped in, that will be a couple more weeks. That gives me time to clean up odds and ends that I've put off while more major projects were going on. I got a different lower radiator hose installed for more clearance to the crank pulley. Put in new plugs, and it is running great now. I got seat tracks for the passenger seat in today, but left the hardware at work. The driver's seat was the only thing from the blue interior left so I had time to recover it this morning. It turned out a lot better than the passenger side, so I may be redoing the other.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I got some twin fans from a cougar and the wiring harness. I trimmed the uneccessary connectors and wiring out but left the cougar fan leads. I will upgrade to the flexalite variable speed fan but I'm using a regular adjustable controller right now set to about 190. No problems keeping it cool but it is only in the 80's right now, but I'm not anticipating any more problems.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Started the t5 install today. I got a crossmember tacked up so I could route a clutch line, had to stop there. I used the FRPP flywheel and a fox clutch...I painted it red so it would be faster. I need to finish making a clutch line, and bleeding, swapping the clutch pedal in, filling with fluid, finish the crossmember, and more than a few small jobs.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
just a photo of the clutch line i made, and the temporary shifter i made up, it actually works pretty well. I will buy the t5 conversion shifter when I get the toploader sold. I switched in a legit fox bellhousing today to help with some shifting issues i was having. Still working on tuning the hydraulic clutch. SO much faster to get the trans out now than the nonsense I had to go through with the c4 and my headers. I have some electrical demons creeping back, I will be addressing that next.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I've got most of the bugs worked out with the new engine and the T-5. I put the tailpipes on (I was running dumps in front of the axles), and while I couldn't really get them straight (the reason I removed them in the first place) it makes the car so much more pleasant to drive that I will leave them until I get the rear valance on and have them straightened. I've been driving the car daily again around town, this weekend I will hopefully put a couple hundred miles on it doing weekend stuff.

This vid is a rewarding drive to strokers and back home.

YouTube - Quick drive around neighborhood

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks! Nothing gets me more motivated than having it on the road. The big lapses on here are usually when something was too torn down to drive, hard to get out and tackle that with life knocking at the door! Hopefully later in the summer I can get the bodywork done on the rear, but my girlfriend is really pushing for a repaint to red.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Really minor stuff to update. I went to a buddies to redo my crossmember, looks alot better now. I also installed a t-5 conversion shifter and knob, it cost more than i was expecting but I really like it. I see now these pictures turned out pretty crappy too.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I bought an AEM wideband, kind of temporarily installed it and got a baseline reading. I wont leave it in permanently, but I'll probably hide a pigtail somewhere so I can throw the sensor in and get some readings without much hassle. Here is a quick vid of an easy drive, showing pretty rich right now.

YouTube - Driving in traffic

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
made some adjustable strut rods, and set my alignment to -1.0 camber, 2.0 caster, and .20 toe. drives really nice, not 100 percent better but much much more driveable.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Decided to get back on the body. I did some poking and prodding around the wheel wells and quarters, and due to at least two previous collisions and repairs, it just wasn't feasible to patch or do bodywork on the quarters, so I got full quarters and a trunk patch panel, the trunk crossmember and some outer wheel well patches.

I don't have pics from tonight but I have the filler panels removed, the rest of the crossmember out, some misc patches, and the trunk floor patch is about ready to tack into place. Please keep in mind this is not a restoration, this car is my primary vehicle and I don't want to spend oodles of time on a resto just to get rear ended, so I'll be cutting some corners here and there. Won't have a chance to work on it until next Weds and Friday though.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I got a little bit done the last couple of days, but all is relatively slow, I can really only work on the car for three hours most nights.

After finding out exactly where the welds were on the first quarter, the second came out much much quicker. Test fitted and while they aren't perfect, these Taiwan quarters aren't too far off either.

Welded in the trunk floor patch and trunk crossmember tonight, and put the quarters and taillight panel back on with screws to see how far off things are going to be. Right now my main concern is the decklid, it seems like there isn't much I can do to change the contour of it vs the quarters, and on a lot of coupes I see it does not conform to the body lines. We'll see.

41 - 60 of 135 Posts