Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Fairly good deal providing it runs well. It is a top oiler with sorry heads. Has a t-bird 3 duce intake. I would like it however.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a FORD intake so it's worth a few bucks, the Cast headers are stock 63, one head matches the other don't, but they're both 427 heads so far better than 390 heads.

There was a 10 foot camper come off it that's been there since the early 1970's and it's in incredible condition also, but not being sold with it.

Hey Radtail, what were they asking for it back then?

·
Registered
691 Posts
That's a FORD intake so it's worth a few bucks, the Cast headers are stock 63, one head matches the other don't, but they're both 427 heads so far better than 390 heads.

There was a 10 foot camper come off it that's been there since the early 1970's and it's in incredible condition also, but not being sold with it.

Pretty much the same, 7500+/- a few bucks, I think it was best offer 7500.

Looks like it has been put together and painted (i.e not machined, just 'ah, that'll do er') and a coat of paint... I dunno but that's the vibe I get.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts

nothing great about 63 427 heads , 63 1/2 427 hi rizer's (C3AZ6049k)is a different story

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thats what I have on my side oiler, 63 -K heads. The shop wanted them but I decided to keep them. I think they were made only one month in 63 and are very hard to find.

You need to pick that truck up Gary.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
But this truck has TWO DIFFERENT HEADS on it... and H and G. Is that still OK?
I beleive I done stated this. The H is a low riser 427, the G came on 390s. Both suck. Both have the small vals. For a keeper snatch both off and add larger vals. That engine would do well with cj 6090-N heads, 6090-c 406 heads or wana spend some money and stay with iron heads high rise heads is what it needs and a matching high rise intake. Would scream then and sell well being the block is still a cross bolt.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I beleive I done stated this. The H is a low riser 427, the G came on 390s. Both suck. Both have the small vals. For a keeper snatch both off and add larger vals. That engine would do well with cj 6090-N heads, 6090-c 406 heads or wana spend some money and stay with iron heads high rise heads is what it needs and a matching high rise intake. Would scream then and sell well being the block is still a cross bolt.
Incorrect. Both the C3AE 6090 G & H are low riser 427 heads. Very similar, with the same valves. Neither have small valves, 2.08x1.64 which is basically the same as the CJ. 406 heads have smaller valves, and would bump the compression another point, possibly making it undrivable on pump gas. High riser heads and intake would be great if you wanted to drag race the truck, but you would spend $2k+ to get a clean set, plus intake and carb.

Not a bad deal if the truck runs and drives well. Nothing wrong with a healthy 427 LR in a pickup.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Incorrect. Both the C3AE 6090 G & H are low riser 427 heads. Very similar, with the same valves. Neither have small valves, 2.08x1.64 which is basically the same as the CJ. 406 heads have smaller valves, and would bump the compression another point, possibly making it undrivable on pump gas. High riser heads and intake would be great if you wanted to drag race the truck, but you would spend $2k+ to get a clean set, plus intake and carb.

Not a bad deal if the truck runs and drives well. Nothing wrong with a healthy 427 LR in a pickup.

Thats what I said, H low riser and the G came on 390s AS WELL 427, both yes are low risers and BOTH SUCK....No they donot have the same vals as a 428 cj. The plain 428 7 liter that came in a galaxie had them both G and H from factory depending on which set on assembly line a factory worker picked up , both still suck. I just sold a 406 G code with 3 duces. That engine had same vals as a 428 cj near touching. All are fine on pump gas for all 4 sets we are describing came as a factory head. The G head and H BOTH have smaller vals than a 428 cj. I got a barn full of R and H . They sell for 200 bucks or less. Cj with big vals clean and ready to go sell for 900 to 1200 bucks. The 406 G code engine which came with 3 duces had the C heads. The 406 B code engine with 1 4 barrel came with the B heads. As far as a 427 with low rise heads , that engine will only turn around 5500 before it starts to break down. You can take a 390 engine with the cj heads and spank a 427 low riser engine on any day. Now you can place the cj vals and stronger springs on the G and H head and do alittle work they will run as good as the cj heads if you do a val job and add stronger springs. The H and G heads ......smaller vals, weaker springs and will not stang high rpms

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Ford placed so much different stuff on fe engines so many places they donot even know what they did. You can take heads for same engines but different years but all with same number at the end of the 6090 and most will be fifferent. They are up and down changing with the years of did vals depending on what year ya grab.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thats what I said, H low riser and the G came on 390s AS WELL 427, both yes are low risers and BOTH SUCK....No they donot have the same vals as a 428 cj. The plain 428 7 liter that came in a galaxie had them both G and H from factory depending on which set on assembly line a factory worker picked up , both still suck. I just sold a 406 G code with 3 duces. That engine had same vals as a 428 cj near touching. All are fine on pump gas for all 4 sets we are describing came as a factory head. The G head and H BOTH have smaller vals than a 428 cj. I got a barn full of R and H . They sell for 200 bucks or less. Cj with big vals clean and ready to go sell for 900 to 1200 bucks. The 406 G code engine which came with 3 duces had the C heads. The 406 B code engine with 1 4 barrel came with the B heads. As far as a 427 with low rise heads , that engine will only turn around 5500 before it starts to break down. You can take a 390 engine with the cj heads and spank a 427 low riser engine on any day. Now you can place the cj vals and stronger springs on the G and H head and do alittle work they will run as good as the cj heads if you do a val job and add stronger springs. The H and G heads ......smaller vals, weaker springs and will not stang high rpms
Wrong again.

The C3AE 6090 G and H only came on the 427. 427 LR heads have slightly wider valve spacing, but do have CJ size valves, 2.08x1.64.

390 Heads only had 2.02x1.55 valves. Maybe you are confused with the C4AE 6090 G which was a 390 head with small valves.

I can guarantee that the C3AE 6090 G or H did not come on a 7 litre/428 Galaxie, since they weren't built in 63. The heads did not keep the engineering numbers or suffix from year to year. A C4AE-G, C7AE-A or C8AE-H like the 428 passenger cars came with were just a 390 head with small valves. This has absolutely nothing to do with the C3 part number.

The C3AE 6090 C head that came on the 406 you are talking about only has 2.02x1.64 valves. The small 56cc chamber will raise the compression about 1.5 points over your normal LR 72cc heads. You also have to account for the different compression heights of the pistons. Ford did have 3 versions of that head though, including one with a 64cc chamber and small valves for higher altitiude, and a standard 390 head... one of Fords many engineering number screw ups.

The earlier 406 heads had the same size valves as the 390, but higher compression, bigger cams, and better carbs bumped the HP numbers significantly.

Keep in mind that the 63/64 427 LR had about 11.5 to 1 CR with 72 cc chambers. If you put 56cc 406 heads on it that would jump up over 13 to 1...good luck with pump gas.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You are on year specific and are correct on the early heads. I am on later year heads such as the pics below of G and N heads which are different. I run a high rise 427 with the high rise rare K heads and I have seen say 1966 ford 7 liters with the G heads such as below with small vals. I also have a 428 cj N with the large vals. That is what I was bassing my info on. I will say you are correct as to a low rise 427 in the year1963. I also had my years mixed up . So the heads on the truck as year 63 head are good heads if you talking about this tread head?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I know the cj engine did not come into play until year 1967 -8 and early 68 H heads are the same as a cj head as far as the val size. Did they not make the H and G head with small vals as well. Not year specific ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts