Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought my 65 yesterday. it has a 302 in it right now but I have a 390fe in a 61(i think) 4-door fairlane. my question is how hard would this be to pull off? would i be better off buliling a 347 or some such smallblock? i just want gobs and gobs (and gobs) of tourque and i really dont want to cut the car up if I can keep from it. any advice will be helpfull.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
the 390 is what you seed Boozer... More torque than you can shake a stick at.
I think you have a 352 in youre 61' 4 door though... Unless it's a 4V carb...
Look at the torque monster 390's from your 1961 vintage car!
300 HP 427 Tq. @4600 and 2800 rpm respectively
330 HP 427 Tq. @5000 and 3200 rpm respectively
375 HP 427 Tq. @6000 and 3400 rpm respectively
401 HP 430 Tq. @6000 and 3500 rpm respectively

The stock 390 is a very respectable and torquey monster!

FE

·
Registered
119 Posts
contact Crites restorations they have everything you need to put that FE in your 65. I'm pretty biased since I own two 390 cars but they do run hard with loads of low end torque. I would bet that your car is a 352 also. No worries plenty of cranks out there to up the cubes. A 390 FE will cost you as much or more than the 347 stroker. If all you want is cheap hp the 347 or better yet a 390 or 427 windsor is probably the best $ for $. The FE has a long history in racing including beating Ferrari at le Mans and whoping a hole bunch of bow ties in cobra bodies. Aftermarket parts are getting more plentiful so the FEs are getting a little cheaper to build. Just something about the look, sound and feel of driving an FE that makes it my motor of choice.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Actually, an FE motor in a 65 Fairlane is going to require cutting it up to make it fit.
Also, it will be nose heavy and the stock Fairlane suspension/steering/brakes will be inadequate for use with a big block.
The 347 would be a good choice. With modern aluminum cyl. heads, you will cut the weight down even further.
FE's for the most part....are boat anchors!! plus they are extremely expensive to modify with aftermarket parts.
The small block Ford on the other hand is the darling of Ford performance today. Everything is available for it, and much cheaper too!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Torino style 2 bring one of your darlings by and you can run it against my boat anchor. We'll see how accurate your statement is. Gotta admit the FE does cost more to build than a cookie cutter small block but it's all in what you want. Yes you would have to notch the shock towers for the FE but in 64 the Thunderbolt was the Ford darling with a 427 stuffed in there. Nothing wrong with small block Fords they are great motors. Like I said before if you can fit the tall deck windsor you can easily gain some more cubes and torque along with it. If you still want to go the FE route there are plenty of resources for parts and plenty of people who would dissagree with the boatanchor comment.

http://www.critesrestoration.com/litening.htm

http://www.fordfe.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fefairlane on 10/31/06 12:35pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Someone ought to throw a hand full of shat at him for saying that!!!!!! Little Tard!

BOAT ANCHOR?

ARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the #'s I posted above... If that's not some GOOD DAMN #'s for a stock engine I'll eat my own face!
What the berjeezus does your TINY little 302 put out in a stock configuration....

If I wasn't such a ***** I'd come over there and poke you in the eye with a 390 crankshaft!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
P.S. Why won't a 390 fit in a '65 Fairlane? Didn't they come with 390 option?

FE

·
Registered
749 Posts
ouch...another FE boat anchor comment.
You know what you can make anything go fast...just get your wallet out
Just like any other engine it responds to proper mods
I wouldnt bother with a 352 or 390 if biulding an FE. Use a 428 cranktrain in that 390 block at least...some 390 blocks can be bored .080 to the 428 bore size. I would sonic check the block before doing this though. A 428 with todays tech can make an easy 500 streetable hp and it would be way cooler than a windsor in that 65 lane

81 Mustang Coupe
351W/AOD 12.13 111.7
budget 87 octane street and highway driver

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: qtrhors on 11/1/06 5:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey, thanks for all your help. i know that the engine i have is a '64 390fe originally out of a '64 country squire wagon transplanted into my late mothers fairlane by my uncle. i have ran the #'s and it is a 390fe. i really only want to use it for sentimental value to me. i could stroke my 302 but i would rather use the 390! anyone know the best place to look for parts for that dinosaur?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I THOUGHT SO!

Rebuild your '64 390 to STOCK specs and you will have MORE HP AND TQ than an expensive 302 build!

1964, 390 came with 315 HP with the 4V, and 427 TQ. THAT"S A LOT!

Don't let these small block enthusiasts get to you. They are fine engines, but a stock 390 rebuild will move that car just FINE, and be cheaper than going stroker 302...

FE

·
Registered
813 Posts
Whoa!!
You'd think I just started World War 3 or something!!

The man is asking if the 390 will fit into his 65 Lane without cutting anything....the answer is no.
1966 and later, it would drop in, but not the "small body" Fairlane.
Forgive me, but I dont hate FE's....spent many years playing/racing with them.
But the reality of today is that for the same or less amount of money, one could build a small block Ford that will run circles around a 390.
A built 393-408 Windsor will destroy all but the most crazy built 390-410.

427 lb. ft. of torque was pretty good back in the 60's....but today, its mediocre.
You know this stuff, I dont have to preach it to you

Im not trying to push the merits of the small block onto anyone, but from a standpoint of work done, to cost of project, it makes more sense to stick with a small block in this particular case.
If cutting the shock towers were not an issue, then yes, the FE would be a good choice, but a better choice would be a 460-514 or bigger (hey, if you're gonna do it, do it big!!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that smallblock stroker theory all sounds great but there are a few problems with it. first off i have the 390 already and it sounds to me like stock will give me the numbers i'm looking for. secondly i know those stroker kits are pretty expensive, even if i use my 302 block. i am on a budget and i dont want to blow my whole wad on some exotic stroker engine. i want something i can beat on and not have to worry about it. plus i need to plan some of my cash on quarters and enterior.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Follow the links I posted to Crites and they will tell you the straight truth on what "massaging" of the shock towers and other mods might be required to fit the FE in the 65 (no they never came with them but in 64 Ford built special FE equiped Thunderbolts for racing).

Then if it sounds like a job you want to take on go to the FE fourum website I posted a link to. There are links to quite a few good parts suppliers for FE motors. DSC, Survival Motorsports, Precision Oil Pumps are a few. Posting questions on the forum will also find you parts you need.

It's your car so make the choice that makes you happy. Small block stokers are great. Make as much HP and torque as a big block. They are probably cheaper in the long run. When you pull up to the local cruise night they unfortunately all look pretty much the same. The FE is a great old school motor with a lot of heritage. Fun to build and own cause it's different. They run strong in stock trim.

If you want all out hp (and that wasn't what you asked for in your first post) a 385 series stroker or a small block stroker would be a good choice.

Maybe a trip to the Popular Hot Rodding Engine Masters Challenge would be a good education. FE's faired pretty well in destoked trim this year and with more cubes last year. They beat a lot of the other "better" motors. Also the guys building them were more on the low budget side then the eventual winners. Bottom line is they can make great hp in street trim and crazy hp when you throw cash at them.

Build what makes you happy wether a small block or an FE.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Torinostyle2

If you don't want to start a war and you really like all sorts of motors steering away from "boat anchor" as a term might be a good idea. Although I agree with you on the merits of some of Fords other motors I don't think you went about it in a positive way.

Let's face it you contradict youself when you say "(hey, if you're gonna do it, do it big!!)" When originally you were saying the 347 would be a good choice. You should have been talking about the 393-408 from the get go.

To be fair to you you seem to have some good points but after you say something stupid nobody wants to listen.

I now declare an armistice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i guess im gonna go with the big-block. thanks for everyones help. this site is great, lots of good advice. the thing that pushed me over the fe edge is my cousin also referred to big blocks as "boat anchors"! said my fe-equipped lane will never beat his 383 joker powered 68 nova! well we'll show him, huh?? the nova is not that tuff. i WASTED it by about 6 car lengths in my small-block powered chevy s-10! (i know, i know-its a chevy! but it is lots of fun plus this is the first good deal i found on a decent old ford in my area! not to worry, the s-10 has already been sold!)

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Anybody want to comment on the HP ratings mentioned? Remember that they changed the way they rated horsepower back in the late 60's? I just cant remember which way!! I thought that they were over-rating the power, is that right? So are the ratings that I look up in the Chiltons guide correct?

Its a fun project to stuff a Fe into a 65. Put a alum intake on the thing a nice cam, some headers and you will be rocking.. That intake alone must weigh 100 pounds in cast iron.

Dont forget to pull the trans out of that old car. Have fun rebuilding it if its a green dot (?). I had a problem rebuilding a early C6. It seems that they updated it and the older ones are a little harder to get worked on.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I am getting confused here as to dates of manufacture. As you all know, there were zero autos sent down the assembly line with a 302 under the hood, for they were not on any option list. The engine had not bee invented yet.

Then, the 1961 choice of any big-block is a very hard choice, for the engine uses older camshafts. They did not get rid of the system until 1963. Have fun trying to locate a good core for a reground camshaft. There used to be adaptors available via Isky such that a later era camshaft could be used.

AND, don't through that steel timing cover away.

Wm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts