Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the site, but not new to fords! I am 16, and have owned 3 trucks, and now a fairlane. I have a 76 f150 with a 390, a 1980 f250 4x4 with a 400 (I have completely tore the truck down, and it's almost back together, all rebuilt!), and this car.

I just bought a 65 fairlane 500 2door hardtop. It is a complete car, bumper to bumper. Trim and all! It has the original 289 and c4, power steering and power drum breaks. I plan on restoring the car but have a few questions. How much will it hurt the value if I rebuild the engine and add some goodies? Maybe an aluminum top end, and 4bbl intake and carb, and a cam. What about doing a disk brake conversion? I want to do the interior back as original as I can, and leave all the exterior trim.

What I am getting at, what damage would I do to the value if I changed a few things? I could box up the origional parts, and save them incase I ever sold the car... Thoughts? Thanks!!

The fender, headlights and grill are all in the trunk!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What I am getting at, what damage would I do to the value if I changed a few things? I could box up the origional parts, and save them incase I ever sold the car... Thoughts?

Thanks!!
You just answered your own question. The car will most likely be more valuable at resell if it is original or has the parts to return to original.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am of the opinion that #1 build it as you want to as far as drive train suspension/brake upgrades, as those normally wont hurt the value all that much, and keeping all the original pieces parts boxed/bagged would actually increase the value TO the next person. build it to a 331 or 347 have fun and when the time comes along if the next person wants a 289 he can put it back to that status (albeit a .030 or so over one).

MHO

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Build what you want. Your not going to hurt the value of that car.

Ditch the drum brakes for aftermarket disc or granada disc or check out ScareBirds website for his conversion brackets and parts list.

Look for a 302 from a mustang or explorer even.

Jet

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
This kid is only 16 and he has two trucks and now this cool 65! When I was 16 all I had was a 65 Comet beater that I had to share with my brother...LOL!
I can't wait to see what you do to your 65, there's a lot of great help here and these fellows are all good natured so no idiots like other sites you might have been on.

Plan on getting a later C4 too if you've got a green dot in her, it's weak but will do for a mild build at best from what I've been told. My green dot works great so I haven't replaced it yet but plan on doing that when my 289 starts to go south.....it's tired but runs fine.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
This kid is only 16 and he has two trucks and now this cool 65! When I was 16 all I had was a 65 Comet beater that I had to share with my brother...LOL!
Damn the luck being 16 again... I got the 'hand-me down' '62 Studebaker Lark 4dr I-6 treed 3 speed, and thought I was hot stuff!!! sheeze...
I can't wait to see what you do to your 65, there's a lot of great help here and these fellows are all good natured so no idiots like other sites you might have been on.

Might want to troll different threads for sure, the is an interaction among this group to never be seen on any other board/forum you will run across for sure.... BTW, hope you have a good set of waders to, they will probably be needed from time to time as it does get deep occasionall. ;)
Plan on getting a later C4 too if you've got a green dot in her, it's weak but will do for a mild build at best from what I've been told. My green dot works great so I haven't replaced it yet but plan on doing that when my 289 starts to go south.....it's tired but runs fine.

Yep thats the truth, the green dots (C-O-M) trans can be made to work, but arent very happy with massive hp's for the most part. (no one left around that can really build them up anymore)..

Welcome to site again.....

MRO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!! I am thinking a 331 stroker motor, or if I can get the boss 302 from the guy at work, that'll go in! My dad really wants to paint it red, and I have kinda thought about putting a manual trans in it. I don't know if I want to deal with that! My uncle does transmissions for a living, and has done then for decades, so I will go to him with my transmission needs!!

Here are a few truck pictures...

This is my project truck. Been working on this one for 3 years now!!

Then my 76 the day I bought it. It's burning off all the old gas, that's why there is smoke! It's a lot nicer now, after its been cleaned!

I plan on posting a lot of pictures along the fairlane build, but it may be a while till we start!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts