Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 9" that I think is for a 65 Fairlane hipo, and Im wondering its value. Its currently in my 65 Comet using some hokey plates to account for the different perch widths. I want to move the perches to the correct location for my car, but I dont want to ruin a potentially rare and valuable housing. I think its an original Fairlane hipo housing, since the hipo is the only thing that would have had a 9" (correct?). Then again, if theres no part number on it, couldnt anyone take any old style housing and make it fit the Fairlane, making it only as valuable as any other 9" housing?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm not an expert on this but I'm pretty sure they didn't use the 9-inch on the hi po Fairlane seeing as it was 289 powered. If you're talking about a 9-inch from a Thunderbolt Fairlane I'd say yes, but even then they aren't serial numbered so who'd know if it actually was an original?

John

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
64 and 65 had HiPo 289's and they did have a 9". Not many made but it would have value as a bolt in or for a T Bolt clone. Unless you wanted to use an 8.8 you would probably spend just as much as you could sell it for for a 9" replacement.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
... Then again, if theres no part number on it, couldnt anyone take any old style housing and make it fit the Fairlane, making it only as valuable as any other 9" housing?
Bingo. However, iwantmore is right that there is a paying market for bolt-in Thunderbolt housings. If you like what you have, then move the perches and be happy. If you want 31-spline axles, disc brakes, limited-slip and gears, then you might consider selling it and throwing the cash into a narrowed Explorer 8.8".

David

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bingo. However, iwantmore is right that there is a paying market for bolt-in Thunderbolt housings. If you like what you have, then move the perches and be happy. If you want 31-spline axles, disc brakes, limited-slip and gears, then you might consider selling it and throwing the cash into a narrowed Explorer 8.8".

David
This is what I was thinking. If I had more time I would probably go with the 8.8 and spare the rare if not overly valuable housing, but I'm trying to get the car running dependably in time for the Woodward cruise, so I'll just move the perches and move onto more important things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts