Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

65 fairlane

11K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  brianfulwood 
#1 ·
Hello guys

Ive found a new home
By the looks of it im with others now who also have to pay 1000 for a windsheild.

My car is DONE and now I find a fairlane forum, geez

What kind of motors do you guys run in your fairlanes? Is there anybody here trying to make there cars fast?

Rick

See less See more
#27 ·
HighPockets....

When you go by Crites, see if they will take you on a "tour" of his cars. He has a Boss 429 Mustang with like 15,000 miles, The 64 Fairlane that was in the HotRod article he built for Dyno Don, and a number of other cars. I was just there Saturday picking up the fiberglass for mine.

#28 ·
BlownFairlane, here is a link to a 385 series forum which is ALL 429s, 460s, and strokers. A lot of great info there and every possible type of racing is represented there. Mud bogs, pulling trucks, monster trucks, street cars, and quarter mile cars all using the 385 series. Great forum if you're interrested. I dug out my weight slip for my Fairlane wagon and found I made a mistake with the weight. It weighs 3682#s and not over 3700 like I thought I remembered. It has very thick double and triple layered metal in the back flooring plus the large and deep hidden compartment in the floor which doubles as an extra seat when folded up. Bench seats with rear fold down, tail gate with roll up window, 4 doors, extra glass, and thick rear flooring with hidden compartment adds a lot of weight. Very few '65 Fairlanes around and fewer wagons so it's really cool when I see a '65 Fairlane built with something other than a 289/302 on the street. Yours is beautiful. Got any specs for the drivetrain(engine/trans/converter, etc)?

#29 ·
Coupe, I 'm interested in the site but I can't find where you put it
lol

Yes I agree with you, not many 65's around. Why do you think that is? It's funny because my buddies all call my car ugly, but who are they to talk, they should take a good look at their wives ekk

My engine is a 604ci
Billet crank, rods ect
BDS 871 competition blower
c6 with 4000 stall
coil over ladder bar deal

IM hoping realistically have it running in a month or so. With my car only weighing approx 3100 pounds I should be able to run 9's here in calgary.?.? ( 3500 FEET ) I'll keep you posted with the dyno results and post some video's this summer on my website.
Are you a drag racing guy?

Rick

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlownFairlane on 11/11/02 3:56pm ]</font>

#30 ·
OOPS, Sorry about that. In above post I forgot the link to the 460 forum. Here it is: 460 forum - 385 series . It was created by a guy on Fordmuscle here named Chilly460 and has become the top 460 site on the web. I'm a street racer and that means a lot of time tuning the suspension to hook on the street for the money races but I also spend time at the track to "tune" for best ET also. I enjoy bracket racing but I fiddle with the tune up between races trying to find more HP/torque so breaking out doesn't hurt me like running slower than my dial in does. I just want a simple mid 9 second street car this year so next year the car can handle more power with bigger engine but I must be able to drive it on the street even in the heat in traffic. It's no fun to have a car only to trailer it to the track, make some passes, and trailer home only to wait for the next weekend to do it again for 1 day. Enjoy it all week long and weekends too. Turn heads everywhere, get thumbs up from cars next to you while driving, and the people asking if you're interrested in anoth car like it or if you need parts. The attention is great but can be a hassle if you get one of those punks who gets next to you trying to get you to race even though their car is 3-5 seconds slower and they just won't leave you alone. That happens often especially while cruising on Friday and Saturday nights. I'm still needing a 4500-5000 stall C-4 11 7/16" bolt circle converter if you know of any for sale. I think used would be best this year because next year I will need a much different and much better converter for the 557. You'll probably spend hours at a time reading all the info at that other 460 forum. Hope you enjoy it, I sure do. Let me know how you like it.

Damn! 604 with 8/71? 9s? Overkill at it's best
You can run a moderate still streetable 466 without nitrous and get your car in the 9s. I think you got enough engine there to go much faster if you want even without the blower
What heads are you running on it? I think '65 Fairlanes are cool even though everybody does think they are the ugliest Fairlane ever made. Most of my friends think so about my wagon but that's what makes the '65s so uniqie. So many were crushed because they were a very unpopular bodystyle and now they are becoming sought after. I really wanted to build mine to run 9s while still driving it on the street but aftermarket suspension parts and the unavailable headers issue for a 351W made that stop. Impossible to find parts for doesn't help matters any either. I was going to use stock suspension tweaked a little to 60ft in the high 1.30s as needed but the Falcon wagon has all suspension components common with the '67-'68 Mustang and the larger engine compartment that seems like it was made for a 460 is a much better route for me to go. Dial the suspension in with the 466 this year so it can somewhat handle the 557 going in next year. I really like how a tubbed '65 Fairlane looks now that I've seen yours.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 89 coupe on 4/10/02 2:41am ]</font>

#32 ·
Thanks for the link.

What heads am I using on my motor?

What heads could I have used? That’s the real question. I was stuck big time with building a blown big block. Here’s what I needed and maybe someone can tell me my options.

I used the crites shock tower mod, and the crites headers. SO I need to stay with the factory ford ex port. And because I need low compression (a custom piston dished) I need a head with a minimum 96cc.

I believe the ford motorsport is 72 cc and there no way I could build an 8 or even 9 to one compression with that. STRIKE ONE

The next option was the blue thunder, and their chevy ex port option is strike two, is their other ford port raised, what is their cc I cant remember, will the factory ex bolt up to their raised ex port?

How about the trick flow, what is the cc's of them and what ex bolt up are they?

The edelbrock rpm has a 96 cc camber with stock ex location, what do you guys think of that head?

Rick

#33 ·
Well, one choice for you would be the D3VE heads. The are the large CC chamber heads and have the stock exhaust ports. Plenty room to add larger valves like 2.19/1.76's. You would need to mill for studs and open the ports some. They are pretty cheap selling heads for the above reasons.

#34 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a pair of those heads kicking around.

MY engine is weeks away from the dyno and I already own the edelbrock heads. I just wanted everybody's REAL opinion about heads.

I’m extremely frustrated with my engine solely because of my cylinder heads. I’ve got a lot of cubic inches and to boot I’m adding a roots supercharger.
Do you guys even think that this stroker is benefiting power wise at all over a stock bore and stroke 460,with having to use these puny heads? (More torque for sure) My engine builder did manage to get peak lift at .700 to 380 intake and 240 something ex. I've got a custom bds blower grind camshaft, small to normally aspirated standards but supposedly a killer blower grind at .645 in lift and .665 ex and 264 272 duration at .050. Its on a 110 lobe separation.

This is a streetstrip car so I needed to keep somewhat streetable.

I have tough skin and any input is welcome, good or bad. How much power is this engine going to make with 9 to 1 compression and 14 pounds boost,( bds blower) running c12 for fuel? Two chuck nuytten 1320cfm dominators

Thanks in advance

RICK

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlownFairlane on 4/11/02 9:31am ]</font>

#35 ·
Hey Rick
Seen your ride...SWEET! It's nice to see someone else crazy enough to supercharge a BBF.
You were asking about heads, I went with the Edelbrocks for the 96cc chambers. Also running a BDS14-71 but still iffy on induction. Currently negotiating with Enderle for a modified gas system to flow approx. 2800 cfm. Had a meeting this afternoon with Edelbrock on sponsorship of a pair of worked over 950's but won't hold my breath.
One question..what are you running for rings? I am having a F*@# of a problem with my gapless as they are real brittle (snapped 3....ouch).
We are going to try something different next week,but still waiting for a few extra parts (8qt pan, pickup/pump)and a constant drive electric waterpump.ALL my MSD finally arrived so getting excited.
Anyways, enough rambling hope to catch you one of these days either here at Mission for "Doorslammers" or I may have to come to Edmonton searching for a few of my old buds from my Davis Automotive / Pacemaker / JB days.
Fred

#36 ·
emm........ A 1471 blower

Yes we do have a lot in common. When I was building my first engine the 514, I was going to try the gapless ring, but had a hard time finding the weird bore size 4.44. But the new engine we just went with the regular moly ring so I can’t help in that department.

That is a huge blower!!! Did you buy the bds distributor as well? What block did you start with? and I’m really curious what you did you did for a crankshaft?

I used the canton oil pan it added some capacity and didn’t get all that much bigger which I needed because of my engine compartment (headers are close to pan)

SO you used the edelbrocks as well? Are you going to port them? What part # are they? What compression is your engine and how much boost are you counting on running?

ohh and one more thing, I went with the meziere water pump, really nice looking peice,but yet to try it out.

Rick

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlownFairlane on 4/11/02 2:53pm ]</font>

#38 ·
Hey Rick #1 (Kamloops) don't dispair, I may be able to help you REAL soon. At the Lordco show yesterday, made a lot of friends (MSD, Holley, Compcam, etc) plus been offered 3 jobs(could work out for missing parts. Hmmmm) at different speed shops because of my background from the past (JB Automotive, Pacemaker, Davis Automotive. Now Rick #2 is curious).
Rick #2, I noticed an earlier post about weight. Well my friend, all your weight is under the hood. My 525 with the BDS14-71 (MSD Distributor/Cranktrigger, 7AL, CSI waterpump, pair 950 Edelbrock Carbs, Mooneye Birdcatcher, 2 1/2 stainless equal tube headers,8 qt Milodon, etc) bent my 1500 lb engine stand. The whole thing will weigh (wet) in at 1175, give or take 10-20.
As to the gapless rings, looks like we are going back to moly as the first set we received were brittle. Figured a flaw in material. Since have talked to a couple of people and have said no real noticable improvement so why spend the extra $$'s.
Compression is a healthy 9.8 with the hogged out heads.

There is NO substitution for Cubes
1954 Mercury Pick-up Blown 525 BBF, Morrison pro street/ pro-gas frame,2 1/2" chop but still in pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blown54 on 4/12/02 11:19pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blown54 on 4/12/02 11:25pm ]</font>

#39 ·
I have a '65 Fairlane 2dr HT with a 351C. I used the Crites Shock Tower kit. I tried a pair of 70 Torino headers that I had to adjust with a hammer but they still didn't fit too well. I am running 2V manifolds and it is still tight fit.
By the way, I know of a '64 2dr HT for sale. It is in middle GA. $2500 with absolutely no rust. Call 478-956-2748 if you are interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.