Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured i'd make a build thread, on my 65 falcon futura i just picked up. Original 289/c4 bench car. I have a rebuilt 78' 302 w/ a Comp cam, lifters, RR's and chromoly pushrods. c4 with porks torques 2200 stall. I dont have the orignal bench nor do i think i will find one while im up in alaska so i will be running some 82 GT seats and look for a bench or get older buckets when i move back to washington. Let me know what yall think ill update it as i get work done.

Plans:
Get on the road before winter is over(lucky me alaska winters are long)
install 8.8 w/ disk brakes, 3.73 gears
get dual bowl MC and prop valve
get new front and rear glass
B&M ratchet shifter
Rewire kit some of the wires are fragile

Modified Pick to clear moroso pan

rebuilt 302(painted to ford blue)

Rebuilt the demon carb and took the throttle linkage off the old 2brl intake manifold and started cleaning it up and mocking it up to add a new tab

Before:

After:

Front disk fresh out the hot tank so much grease and dirt was caked on them lol got to tear them down with my new air tools the wife got me for xmas. debating on new disks or just getting these ones turned they spun freely on the spindle they are off a 76 Gernada.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice looking project. I have a 1965 Falcon as well, which is a C-code (289 2-V and C4 transmission).

I would say use the Granada front brakes. I have used them before, including on my previous 1963 Falcon Ranchero, and have been happy with them. Plus some after market kits appear to be copies of the Granada brakes, so you would end up paying more money for similar brakes to the ones you already have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah I was looking at the brake kits and that's exactly what they look like. I've got the calipers off now I gotta clean them up and paint um. Do you know how they come apart I've been dumb founded lol

Cool find I thought the wheels where American racing turns out the are hustler racing equipment hustler III by Fenton

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made some progress on the disk conversion for the front today, got one side torn appart and test fitted the spindle I need to get bigger ball joints for the end links other than that just waiting for the rotors to come in and clean/paint parts before install got the calipers completely torn down aswell

Out with the drums

Spindle comparison

My cool tool bottle jack came in handy as a pivot point to knock the ball joints out

Test fitting

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry everyone been really busy coming back from leave with work.

Disc brake conversion complete minus a dual bowl MC. Instead of having to get the adapter line and extending my hard line to come towards the front i went ahead and with to a local heavy machinery shop and had them make me some custom Steel braided lines. Swapped out the tie-rod ends to fit the granada spindles. I showed my 5yo son how to take one side apart then had him do the passenger side, he did alot of it himself but i gave him the tools lol

well here are some pics

Then he took the camera lol

Tie rods side by side

Custom brake lines

Complete

Teaser

I tried fitting my BBK equal length headers i had laying around lol as most of yah know they dont fit but hey it was worth checkin... so im selling them and im either gonna go with the Doug's Tri Y headers or some hooker super comps whats yall thoughts on headers? I want long tubes.

I aslo got a 31spline 8.8 w/ disk brakes debating on swapping it in but i think i am just gonna keep the 8in with drums since the brakes are fresh.

Let me know what yall think

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to add this it's a dash out of a project I no longer have I'm going to remake the bezel with the speedo and tach in the middle just dropped in see how it looks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks it's one of my favorite years why I couldn't pass it up.

So I made a mock up for the guage cluster my buddy works at a machine shop so he's gonna finish making the bezel out of aluminum if the guy who wants to buy my old setup falls through cause i'd like to use the original but I had these laying around so I got bored lol

Not being able to do much I had surgery on my back Friday here's what I did get done tonight it's just a rough idea what do y'all think?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, that's what I was planning on goin with. Just gonna get the bare ones and heavy my buddy powder coat them white.

Went to drop the engine in last night couldn't mate the bell housing got the wrong flex plate on the 302 so my buddy's lookin threw his garage for an extra one other than that I've got the engine in and we are just gonna lift the transmission in once I get the right flex plate. My rough gauge bezel is at my buddy's shop getting made up so ill post some pics once I get some of the progress.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been busy with work and medical trips

but i have been doin some work with my off time, got ahold of my buddy john at off road plus he is(and has) powder coating some parts for me first we did the tail lights black now he is doing my headlight shrouds and grill, the grill is being polished and the little supports are being powder coated black to match the shrouds and tail lights then shooting it with a clearcoat

I cleaned up the guard/shim on the 302 and noticed it didnt line up with my c4 bellhousing so i cut it and will be welding it back together shortly

Still working on the gauge bezel making final cuts and figuring out how to mount it

Thought i had more pics of the B&M shift kit i installed but guess just the box lol

I ordered my headers along with the lokar spoon style gas pedal and throttle and kickdown cable kit, headers will be here monday then off the johns to get ceramic coating in white, once the pedal assembly gets here i plan on installing it along with the transmission then me and john are gonna use his plasma table to make a transmission mount.

Working on getting paint done thinking either a dark charcoal or dark gunmetal.

located some fenton center caps back in WA gonna see if my dad can go pick them up for me.

Thats about it for now, but i have started digging into my explorer 8.8 just need to cut it and get another pass side axle dunno if im gonna do it or not still up in the air.

let me know what yall think.
thanks for lookin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts