Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get my ignition switch pulled out without having to put a key in it first? I was told its like pulling out headlight bulbs, twist and then pull. Is this right or not?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Can I get my ignition switch pulled out without having to put a key in it first? I was told its like pulling out headlight bulbs, twist and then pull. Is this right or not?
No! You need to rotate the key to the ACC position. To do that you need the key. If you don't have a key you will have to pick it. Once you get it to the ACC pos, insert a paper clip in the small hole next to the key and push to release it. Turn the key futher CCW then withdraw the tumbler.
Installation is the reverse.
R

·
Registered
340 Posts
No! You need to rotate the key to the ACC position. To do that you need the key. If you don't have a key you will have to pick it. Once you get it to the ACC pos, insert a paper clip in the small hole next to the key and push to release it. Turn the key futher CCW then withdraw the tumbler.
Installation is the reverse.
R
This.

Also, if you are replacing the lock cylinder with a new one, you can use a slide hammer to pull the old one out. It's a little quicker than picking it open and cheaper than hiring a locksmith.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
This.

Also, if you are replacing the lock cylinder with a new one, you can use a slide hammer to pull the old one out. It's a little quicker than picking it open and cheaper than hiring a locksmith.
Slide hammer will DAMAGE the switch, AND it also includes the possibility of damaging your dash. DO NOT do it that way. have a locksmith make a key for it before even thinking about going that route. Please.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts