Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lil blue truck has the Deluxe interior.
The one with the plastic fascia all the way across.

I recently looked at a Comet that had a full gauge panel from the factory in the 'deluxe' interior and kind of liked it.

Now--trying to find a complete Comet instrument set and the dash trim
will probably be an exercise in futility---and my Falcon will have "COMET" on the glovebox.

I wonder if any of you have put the 66 Mustang GT/Pony instruments in your Falcon?? (round speedo and gauges)

If it will go in without any fuss I will consider that and then just have the extra holes in the dash welded shut.

No one makes an indash stereo that will fit those cars with the plastic trim,
and buying a new radio piece, trimming it for a stereo, and then getting it plated might not be a viable option.

The upside of the Mustang cluster is
Have all necessary gauges (except tach) and that it looks a bit nicer than the base Mustang/Falcon--but I have to fill holes in the dash

Keeping the stock stuff
Gotta get all the trim re-plated (if it survives removal)
no gauges but for fuel and temp.

Even adding a Ralley Pak (will they fit a Falcon??) will only get me a
tach and a clock----no oil or volt/amp

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool----I like it
Gonna start looking for one of those clusters.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Get the Comet dash pieces and you will have the same basic 5 gauge instrument cluster as the mustang and you won't have to fill in any holes in the dash. Just drill new ones. The old ones will be covered. Makes for a nice looking dash and it's ok if it says Comet on the glove box. Will still take a stock radio though you would have to either find a comet radio or extend the shafts on the falcon radio as they need to be longer to fit.

The comet cluster and the mustang cluster fit without much alteration. And you get an ammeter included.

Sometimes all or part of the comet pieces come up on ebay.
R

·
Registered
465 Posts
My lil blue truck has the Deluxe interior.
The one with the plastic fascia all the way across.

No one makes an indash stereo that will fit those cars with the plastic trim,
and buying a new radio piece, trimming it for a stereo, and then getting it plated might not be a viable option.

Even adding a Ralley Pak (will they fit a Falcon??) will only get me a
tach and a clock----no oil or volt/amp
There are aftermarket radios that fit a Falcon/Mustang dash. But whether the shafts are long enough to reach through the plastic panel is questionable. Though with a little work the shafts can me made long enough to fit. The plastic/(die cast panel in the case of the comet) panel can be cut/altered, depending on the radio, to make the radio fit and still look right. Use a comet radio with the comet panel as it has longer shafts already.

The mustang rally pack, at least the low profile version, don't know about the original version, will not fit since there is less room between the instrument cluster and the steering wheel. Normally it mounts to the column tube just behind the reducer cone. I modified mine to fit on the cone instead of behind it. Then it fits and looks right.

There are some Comet panels on epay as we speak but they are pitted quite a bit which is typical for Comets this old.
R

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Not wanting to cut on my perfect dash plastic to install an aftermarket radio I used a under dash mount. Mine came from Best Buy but I'm sure many places carry them. Real nice wedge shaped mount that goes under the dash and in black looks perfect in my car. Not really noticable and in easy reach. I have a couple crappy photos in my GARAGE section here if you want to see it. I rarely turn mine on since you can't hear the music over the exhaust sound. Just the way I like it! :tup:

John

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Trick51,

You will probaby need to make fillers and weld the trim holes up. Smooth and paint the dash and glove box door.

Jet

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not wanting to cut on my perfect dash plastic to install an aftermarket radio I used a under dash mount. Mine came from Best Buy but I'm sure many places carry them. Real nice wedge shaped mount that goes under the dash and in black looks perfect in my car. Not really noticable and in easy reach. I have a couple crappy photos in my GARAGE section here if you want to see it. I rarely turn mine on since you can't hear the music over the exhaust sound. Just the way I like it! :tup:

John
I also have an under dash unit in mine
Cheapo JVC sounds better than any Custom AutoSound I have heard.
Plus CD, Bluetooth and Ipod input----$76 Have the same unit in the dash of my 82 Dodge pickup---that truck was not born with a radio at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts