Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm re-restoring some of the interior on my '65 Ranchero. (new carpet, re-chroming dash parts, and replacing a couple worn out items) The steering wheel has a bunch of cracks in it. I would like to keep the stock steering wheel, but I don't have the time to repair it and only have a budget of $300 maximum to repair and paint the wheel. I've been looking at aftermarket billet wheels, but I haven't found anything that has a similar look to the original. (I don't care for the Grant wheels.)

Does anyone know of a company that makes reproduction steering wheels for the Falcon or a reputable company that would restore my original at a reasonable price?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I found the steering wheel to be of too great of diameter. I think they used dome full sized auto as an example. Those full sized wheels are available, but only in black, and not cheap. Hope you need black.

You may now have looked over the lot, and seen all the smaller diameter wheels, but they all require some sort of Grant post adapter. Buy a few. I have three spare adapters and one extra wheel.

Wm.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Color makes no difference. I can have it painted to match. However, I haven't been able to find a stock reproduction wheel in the right style. The only ones I can find are the 3 spoke style. My wheel is the 2 spoke style that came on the Deluxe models.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had the same problem,found a lot of three spoke,not what i wanted. I started watching ebay and found one even the same color as mine. One hairline crack easy to fix,then repaint. I payed $26.00 ,plus $12.00 shipping . Cheap compared to the refinishing kit,i believe it was close to $100.00. My old one had about 30 cracks in it. So all i can suggest is watch ebay,craigs list,swap meets ect. JIM

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been watching Ebay and craigslist like a hawk. There was one on there several weeks ago, but it was in worse shape than mine. Sounds like I may have to bite the bullet and restore it myself or settle on a billet wheel. Gotta get it done before the car show season starts.

I have no problem doing the restoration myself, but I'm concerned I might mess it up. (Especially so since these wheels seem to be so hard to find.) Plus, I don't have the time to work on it. It has taken me 4 months of 30 mins here and there just to replace the carpeting and send out the dash pieces for re-chroming. Excuses, excuses... Sorry just had to vent a little. Its been a long winter with little wrench time. :cry:

Maybe I should just win the lottery..... That would solve my budget and time constraints. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've been watching Ebay and craigslist like a hawk. There was one on there several weeks ago, but it was in worse shape than mine. Sounds like I may have to bite the bullet and restore it myself or settle on a billet wheel. Gotta get it done before the car show season starts.

I have no problem doing the restoration myself, but I'm concerned I might mess it up. (Especially so since these wheels seem to be so hard to find.) Plus, I don't have the time to work on it. It has taken me 4 months of 30 mins here and there just to replace the carpeting and send out the dash pieces for re-chroming. Excuses, excuses... Sorry just had to vent a little. Its been a long winter with little wrench time. :cry:

Maybe I should just win the lottery..... That would solve my budget and time constraints. :rolleyes:

This is a good place to vent, we will listen. I see your problem as far as getting it done right away . The one i am rebuilding has been up on jack stands since last october,been to cold in the shop with out running a heat bill. But the only reason i want it out of the shop ,is so i can put another one in its place. I gave the futura to my daughter and she is the one putting the money in it, i'm just giving the free labor to restore it. Now i'm done venting ,so i will shut up L.O.L. JIM

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After extensive research, I think I've found a reproduction replacement steering wheel for the 2 spoke wheel in my car.

From what I can tell by looking at pictures, it appears that the 2 spoke steering wheel for the '66 Bronco is the same as the 2 spoke steering wheel on 1965 Falcons/Rancheros. It also appears that the "half-moon" horn button/trim ring is the same too (sans the center emblem). If this is the case, National Parts Depot, and a couple other retailers of Bronco parts, are selling new reproduction replacements.

Can anyone confirm if my observations are correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the same boat as you and looking for a stock wheel for my 65 ranchero. I like the 3 spoke futura sprint wheels Ive seen a couple of decent repros on ebay for those and I'm sure the splines are the same but the question is will the horn ring work. Well youd have to at least get the matching horn ring for the wheel and possibly do some other work to make the horn work. All the wheels available I see listed for falcon are 1960-1963 listed specific or up to 1964 for sprints but nothing for 65 for falcon or ranchero as far as reproductions go. I also have a two spoke with falcon center cap. Here is a two spoke for the later ranchero but it's a little different than the two spoke on my 65 it's chunkier.

Steering Wheel - 2 Spoke Style - Black

Here is a 3 spoke

Steering Wheel - Gloss Black

They say in the description designed to complete any 60's or 70s ford but only goes to 63 on ranchero and if you click application it doesn't include 65 ranchero. Like I said I'm sure the splines would work but you might have to order parts to make horn work. Can you post a pic of your 65 ranchero wheel so I can see what you have? thanks

Taylor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts