Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 65 galaxie 500 ltd 352, when i was taking off the carb i noticed that the spacer between the intake and the carb has coolant line running in and out of it. Is this normal?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had the same on mine. I do not believe it is coolant. I'm pretty sure it was vacuum unless yours had a coolant line running from the radiator or something or something similar. I took mine off and replaced it with a half inch, aluminum, non-vacumed one and just plugged the source. -'66 LTD

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I thought it has something to do with the crankcase ventilation, but I'm not completely sure. Do you have a PCV valve in one of the valve covers running to a port on the carb? You'd want to retain it if it is the PCV.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Yes it is normal. The spacer/coolant had a couple of purposes, the main one being prevention of carburetor ice forming just below the throttle plates. The nipple at the rear accepted the PCV hose, as well.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
i have a 65 galaxie 500 ltd 352, when i was taking off the carb i noticed that the spacer between the intake and the carb has coolant line running in and out of it. Is this normal?
yes ...its normal....
its to prevent carb icing ... primary most useful in cold climate areas..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Make sure you check the condition of your spacer...trust me I learned the hard way. Mine developed a leak which caused coolant to get dumped into the motor which ruined it. This happened the day I picket up my car from the body shop with its new paint job. Wife was really thrilled when I told her the engine was fried!

·
Registered
293 Posts
It was coolant. Odd though mine had it and the car was built in Dallas. Must have been standard equipment regardless of location. Mine also had a road draft tube from the valve cover instead of having a PCV running to the carb or baseplate.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Mines has it. Decided not to plumb it up due to reading a few stories about leaks into the intake manifold. I would hate to ruin a motor with a carb spacer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
I removed the hose to the spacer and threaded the "T" coming out of the intake 1/8" NPT and screwed an extra sensor in there. Wired it to a real gauge on the dash using the useless "cold" temperature wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts