Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at things I would like to have taken care of on my 1965 Galaxie over the winter hibernation period. One of the things is to address the safety of the stopping power. Currently the brakes are vanilla 65 with four drums, single master cylinder and a booster and it does stop fine. However, given that a failure in any of the brake lines could lead to a total braking system failure I am looking into alternatives. The one option is to convert the drum brake system to a dual master and the other is to convert the front to disc brakes. Anyone have an ideas or experience with pros or cons for either of these options? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You missed another option of four wheel disc brakes. I think there are nothing but "pros" to upgrading the brakes. Front discs at the least, but rear discs are also common and may be more easily available for the 9" rear than the front conversion. There are many threads on the site on doing the disc conversions, so a little search should get you plenty of tech advice. Parts are usually tougher to get, and certainly more expensive up here, compared to our southern brethren, but we're used to paying more, eh?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts