Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s my question. Last summer I bought this car for $1,000.
It has 34,000 original miles on it and is just getting its first signs of rust which I plan on fixing this summer all the sheet metal is straight and the floor pans and trunk are rust free. But I am having problems finding a new tail light housing for it (the mounting studs are broke on mine) and the ones I found on Ebay are not in that good of shape I also need the shift linkage bushings as the ones in the car are bad and it binds up going from second gear to third. I have ordered a lot of catalogs and they don’t have the parts I need to fix it correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not going to restore to a factory look since the Customs were the base model. I am already searching for a 390 to put in it followed by a 4 speed in the right price range since budget is a issue. I plan on driving it until that time comes to do the swap. I have pictures of it but I need to scan them onto my computer and when I do I will post them. I have already removed the embelems and plan on shaving the door handles. cuz I like the smooth look.

·
Registered
354 Posts
NOS tail light housings on Ebay should be considered. There are some listed now. Compared to other models, Custom specific items are more reasonably priced. Just be patient.

If you are thinking 4 speed toploader transmission, be prepared to do some searching or pay good money. Everybody seems to want one.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The only other reputable, I shouldn't say reputable but they are a big name is Auto Krafters. They have old airplane hangers full of Galaxies. I tried finding tail light buckets for my 64' and they were the only ones to send me anthing that was better than what I had. Good luck.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have seen a few NOS tail light housings on ebay and I bought a pair of nice used ones for mine,I might have some column shift parts as I took a 3 speed column and added a 4 speed collar to make a floor shift column. Jeff

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-04-11 08:49, Deviltech wrote:
But I am having problems finding a new tail light housing for it (the mounting studs are broke on mine) and the ones I found on Ebay are not in that good of shape
Oh REALLY

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tail light housings that I had previously looked at on ebay at the time were pitted which I know can be repaired easily and re-chromed. I was hoping to find one that was real close to being in the same shape as the good housing on my car. And thanks to wildosvt01 I will be bidding on that one. As for the 390 I found out today that my dad knows where there is one setting that came out of a 66 galaxie police car and for the 4 speed I know where there is one setting in a junkyard where I used to work. Granted both need rebuilt but thats not a problem it will just take time. I really appreciate everyones help. I really enjoy reading about your cars and what you all have done with them. Thank you all again and I will attempt to get pictures of mine on here tomorrow.

Dave

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deviltech on 4/12/06 10:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-04-11 19:52, Deviltech wrote:
The tail light housings that I had previously looked at on ebay at the time were pitted which I know can be repaired easily and re-chromed. I was hoping to find one that was real close to being in the same shape as the good housing on my car. And thanks to wildosvt01 I will be bidding on that one. As for the 390 I found out today that my dad knows where there is one setting that came out of a 66 galaxie police car and for the 4 speed I know where there is one setting in a junkyard where I used to work. Granted both need rebuilt but thats not a problem it will just take time. I really appreciate everyones help. I really enjoy reading about your cars and what you all have done with them. Thank you all again and I will attempt to get pictures of mine on here tomorrow.

Dave
Sweet!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Looks like a nice ride man! I think for 1K you got a good buy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I thought it was well worth it. I plan on replacing all the bushings and springs in the front this summer. Didn't you put poly bushings in yours and how well do they work. I have thought about going to poly bushings but I have never driven anything that had them installed. So needless to say I have always installed new rubber in all my rebuilds.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-04-13 06:25, Deviltech wrote:
Thanks, I thought it was well worth it. I plan on replacing all the bushings and springs in the front this summer. Didn't you put poly bushings in yours and how well do they work. I have thought about going to poly bushings but I have never driven anything that had them installed. So needless to say I have always installed new rubber in all my rebuilds.
We have rubber in the front of ours. Its the only thing I regret on the whole car. The only one up front that needs to stay rubber are the strut rod bushings. Ive read so many complaints on them when poly for the street.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On 2006-04-13 06:33, Chooch65 wrote:
Real Nice Gal!!! She looks like her rear end is way up in the air, air shocks?

Yes, she has air shocks but the pictures are rather deceiving the driveway actually slopes down just in front of the rear tires making it look higher than it actually is. But these rims and tires are only on there temporarily until I get the new tires for the Torq-Thrusts I have to put on her.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On 2006-04-13 10:54, wildosvt01 wrote:
We have rubber in the front of ours. Its the only thing I regret on the whole car. The only one up front that needs to stay rubber are the strut rod bushings. Ive read so many complaints on them when poly for the street.
I will order all poly with the exception of the strut rod bushings and see how that goes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-04-13 11:38, Deviltech wrote:
On 2006-04-13 10:54, wildosvt01 wrote:
I will order all poly with the exception of the strut rod bushings and see how that goes. Thanks again.
Love to help out bud!

If you could, Post some pics of the bushings installed in the arms prior to going on the car. It sure would help another FM'er out alot! You can even email them to me and I'll add them to your post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts