Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Restoring a 65 galaxie xl 2 door and mine dont have a/c. I found a 65 four door and was wondering if the dash and all a/c parts would switch right over so that it would look like factory air. Thanks

·
Registered
390 Posts
It's really not that bad to pull the dash out with wiring left in place.Undo the engine harness under the hood and push the female plugs back thru the fire wall. Under the dash remove the two phillps screws from fuse box, unplug the tail light harness, unplug dimmer switch, brake light switch, un plug sterring wheel harnnes ,Neutral safty switch, wiper harness, heater harness, wires going to the door light switch, radio antenna There are a couple more, the speed-o-meter cable, drop the parking brake too. and drop down the steering colum.It may sound like alot of work, but it's not. Seven bolt at the top of dash and one bolt on the bottom of dash ,right and left side. I have my dash setting by me reworking it. It took me 2hrs to remove mine wire in tack.

·
Premium Member
5,658 Posts
It's really not that bad to pull the dash out with wiring left in place.Undo the engine harness under the hood and push the female plugs back thru the fire wall. Under the dash remove the two phillps screws from fuse box, unplug the tail light harness, unplug dimmer switch, brake light switch, un plug sterring wheel harnnes ,Neutral safty switch, wiper harness, heater harness, wires going to the door light switch, radio antenna There are a couple more, the speed-o-meter cable, drop the parking brake too. and drop down the steering colum.It may sound like alot of work, but it's not. Seven bolt at the top of dash and one bolt on the bottom of dash ,right and left side. I have my dash setting by me reworking it. It took me 2hrs to remove mine wire in tack.

Good info,man!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Do not use the 65 a/c system,my 65 country squire had factory a/c and was constantly chasing bad vacumn motors and switches. Its actualy 2 systems and if you loose vacumn the air only comes out the a/c vents,put a under the dash a/c unit in it if you need air as it was a battle keeping the factory heat/a/c system working just for heat.

·
Premium Member
5,658 Posts
those vacuum motors do go bad and cost $50 each but still less trouble than building a new system.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I think the firewall might be a little different too so duplicating the dealer installed a/c would be much easier,I will never buy another 65 with factory a/c.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts