Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Ford Galaxie 4 door sedan 352 fe v8
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1965 Galaxie bumper and its bracket to attach to the car. Can anyone tell me what hardware I need to attach the bracket to the frame?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
351 Posts
You can buy replacement "bumper" bolts for mounting bumper to brackets.
To mount bracket to frame, I just used some good grade 8 bolts, with washers and nylock nuts. I dont remember the exact size or length but, could measure if you really need.
Seems I remember a square washer/spacer that is a part of the bracket system too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 66 so I'm not sure if mine is the same as your 65 but here's what I had to do to get my bumper mounted.
1st you will need the special "cam bolts" that mount on the inner frame holes. I couldn't locate any so I just used a standard bolt and sandwiched large washers inside the large hole in the frame (see photos).

Next you will need the "special" frame nuts that go inside the frame to screw the mounting bolts into (see photos). Good like finding these as well. I looked high and low for them (6 total are required). Someone here pointed me to a nut and bolt manufacture in FL that only had 4 left. Think I found the other 2 on ebay.

Anyway it was a pain tracking down all the special hardware. Good luck, and pm me if you need more info, I'll try to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have a 66 so I'm not sure if mine is the same as your 65 but here's what I had to do to get my bumper mounted.
1st you will need the special "cam bolts" that mount on the inner frame holes. I couldn't locate any so I just used a standard bolt and sandwiched large washers inside the large hole in the frame (see photos).

Next you will need the "special" frame nuts that go inside the frame to screw the mounting bolts into (see photos). Good like finding these as well. I looked high and low for them (6 total are required). Someone here pointed me to a nut and bolt manufacture in FL that only had 4 left. Think I found the other 2 on ebay.

Anyway it was a pain tracking down all the special hardware. Good luck, and pm me if you need more info, I'll try to help.
+1

An additional note is you can use the hardware from 1965-1968 full size as the front frame assembly (from front torque box to front of frame) is the same piece. You may wish to try Desert Valley Auto Parts and CTC Ranch (both old car junkyards from the south) and ask them if they can just ship you those pieces. Those yards being from Texas and Arizona would have the best chance for the least amount of corrosion and useablity.

As 7 Litre said those parts can be really hard to find and to the best of my knowledge no one reproduces them.

Cheers

·
Registered
189 Posts
FWIW, instead of using the 6 special frame nuts, I've seen guys drill through the frame and just put a long bolt all the way through the frame instead of using the hard to find internal frame nuts (I couldn't force myself to do that).

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Ford Galaxie 4 door sedan 352 fe v8
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts