Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the pump in my 65. I primed it first then connected everything. When I started it up the steering worked fine with a little whine to it until i added more fluid. Then the whining stopped and now the steering is super stiff again. Is it possible someone could post a pic or diagram of how the lines should be connected into the steering box? I'm wondering if they are backwords for some reason.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I realize that. just thought maybe the previous owner had it hooked up to the steering box wrong. Maybe the steering box needs replaced

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sent the original in to Cardone to be remanufactured maybe it is the pump again. The high pressure line is hooked up to the forward most left side of the steering box. The return line (?) to the right back side of box. Is it worth changing them to see or is it a lost cause since it worked great for 3 minutes. The belt is tight and fluid full. Thanks for the input. It figures i thought I would be able to steer this thing :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I just replaced the pump in my 65. I primed it first then connected everything. When I started it up the steering worked fine with a little whine to it until i added more fluid. Then the whining stopped and now the steering is super stiff again. Is it possible someone could post a pic or diagram of how the lines should be connected into the steering box? I'm wondering if they are backwords for some reason.
When you say prime the system, can you describe how you went about it?

The ILL is below. Pressure hose is 3A719 and return 3A713. If you will notice, the return is secured to the pump bowl with a hose clamp. It would really be difficult to install them reversed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To prime I hooked up the line to the reservior. filled the pump and manually turned the pulley until the fluid came out the other line then attached the belt. the level was at full hot when I had wife start car and I immediately added fluid but it didn't take much more until full. Last night I started it cold and the steering worked fine again for about 2 minutes and then got stiff again. before I hooked everything up I blew out the lines with air to make sure there was no blockage. I also ran new fluid through the lines and steering box to flush everything out.

On a side note I realize that it is impossible to hook the lines up backwards to the pump. the fitting into the steering box are the same that is why i thougtht it was perhaps backwards but seeing that it works when cold I'm at a loss. unless somehow there is air in the system?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also lines are correct as per the diagram Thank You KULTULZ!

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I would try purging any remaining air first (because it's easy), by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock with the engine OFF. Do about 10 repetitions, stopping after 3 to check fluid level and if you see bubbles. If too difficult to muscle it on the ground, jack the front up to make it easier.

If no joy with that procedure, the control valve may be toast, as it controls the fluid flow for the assist. No flow - no assist. Test and adjust per the manual. Beyond that, it's most likely a pressure or flow issue at the pump, such as a sticking pressure relief valve. A trick to test for pressure without test gauges is with the engine off, feel the pressure hose for stiffness and flexibility. Start the engine and the hose should feel stiffer and less flexible if you have some level of pressure.

One last thing - while it would be rare, it's possible for the pulley to slip on the pump shaft. If it stops working again, take a peek to see if the pulley is spinning faster than the pump input shaft when trying to steer. A couple of chalk witness marks makes this easier. Good luck!

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Did you follow the install instructions?

- Steering System Flushing- Use the Buddy System (Also look @ sidebars)

When initially filling a system, you first fill while tuning the wheel from stop to stop with the engine off (the steer tires should be off the ground to both allow trapped air to travel upwards and prevent wear to the steer tires) while a helper turns the steering wheel lock to lock. You then dry crank the engine (20 second intervals) while turning the wheel to fill the system.

When the reservoir is full, have someone start the engine, check the oil level immediately and fill as the driver turns the wheel gently from side to side gently without hitting the stops.

What fluid did you use? Did CARDONE suggest a filter? Did you flush the system before completely filling?

There is a complete step by step diagnostic sequence in the Shop Manual to actually determine the cause of failure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts