Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vertical plane angle of crank pulley and vertical plane angle of pump pulley are different, and the pulley grooves are out of line also. A problem you might expect from mix and match brackets, but not possible in this instance. Boy is this frustrating and wondering if anyone knows what the problem might be...

'65 Galaxie 500 2drHT 352/AT/PS/PB/AC all factory equipped, no modifications of any components whatsoever....

Sequence of events...
1) original '65 pump was replaced by a shop I trusted (I was really tied up with work at the time and my wife wanted the leaking PS fixed NOW). Big mistake on my part.

2) pulley from original '65 factory pump appears to have been removed with a 2 point bearing puller (placed on outside of pulley!) and bent... possibly when it was removed from the original '65 pump by a moron, possibly when it was hammered back onto the shaft by the same retard (both big time no-no's with PS pump pulleys!). I could just KILL the dipsh*t who did that!

3) Replacement pump had a different body with narrow filler neck on it, but all bolt holes and dimensions are the same as the factory '65 pump, so I don't believe this to be the problem.

4) Pulley on the replacement pump as installed back on the car was out of line both in plane and pulley groove with respect to the crank pulley, and the pump pulley had been badly bent so that it appeared to wobble as it turned. Result was repeated thrown belts (like 6). Further adjustment by me and another mechanic did not correct the belt throwing and the pulley never was realigned correctly despite our best efforts.

5) In keeping with the old rule "if you want it done right you got to do it your own d*mn self," I decided to redo the whole PS pump and pulley installation, which as assembled by the shop was just a terrible job all around. So I ordered yet another remanufactured pump and personally removed a PS setup at a junkyard from a '65 Galaxie with factory 352/AC/PS, complete with unmolested pulley on the original pump, and the bracket.

6) Had another shop correctly pull the pulley off the junkyard pump with correct hub puller and replace it using the correct press-on fixture while I stood right there and watched. This was absolutely done right this time, and everything looks 100% correct and pristine. Making progress there, anyway.

7) Compared my junkyard factory AC bracket to the original factory AC bracket... both identical and unmolested.

8) Put the junkyard bracket on (cleaner than my original bracket) and installed the pump. Way out of line just like the first replacement. I've tried spacers here and there and it's just not lining up! If I mess around lining up the PS bracket, I get the AC compressor and pulley way out of line with ITS crank pulley. My factory shop manual doesn't show the assembly schematic or discuss adjusting for pulley alignment! GRRR!

OK. All you '65 Galaxie gurus tell me what's messed up, please!

Thanks!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: farmallmta on 6/24/05 5:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WAKE UP!!!

LOL.

Very astute questions!

Answers:
1) PS pulley is to far back towards the firewall about 1/4-3/8"

2) Engine rebuild caused crank pulleys and harmonic balancer to be pulled and reinstalled. 1st replacement pump was installed when engine was put back into the car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, FEandgoingbroke, I figured where you were going with the question about the crank pulleys and balancer, so I double checked them... everything there is reassembled correctly. But it was a good thing to check, so thanks for the nudge!

That much said, I THINK I GOT IT SOLVED!

The '65, '66 Galaxie PS pump has 4 mounting points: 3 bolts on the front of the pump, and on the back a case mounted stud that slips into a cutout in the back of the bracket. This cutout has a great deal of slip opening as the means for adjusting the plane of the PS pump pulley to the crank pulley.

I pulled everything off and very carefully measured the location of the rear stud on the REMANUFACTURER'S case with respect to the central axis of the pump shaft. IT IS NOT THE SAME LOCATION AS THE FACTORY'S CASE STUD. It is placed a little bit lower on the pump body so that when it bottoms out in the back slip opening, it still hasn't gone down far enough to bring the pulley into plane with the crank pulley.

(Jeez, I hope I'm explaining this so you can understand it!)

Anyway, I drilled some more material out of the back slip opening of the bracket so the stud can go farther in towards the engine. Voila, when I reinstalled the bracket and pump, EVERYTHING IS IN LINE AND IN PLANE!!!

Ha, Haaaaaaaaaaah! Victory is ours!!! Hope this helps the next person who buys the available replacement pump. It's a remanufacturers goof but can be fixed pretty easily. Just got to take the bracket off and modify it when you replace the pump.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: farmallmta on 6/24/05 7:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FE&Broke, my extensive test drive at speeds up to 90MPH on the freeway (YEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW) after burping out the air in the pump yielded NO vibration and NO thrown belt....

[Oh yeah, uh-huh, oh yeah, uh-huh... RAISE THE ROOF!!!]

Tomorrow I think I'll just amble back in to that mechanic's shop, you know... "DIPSH*TS R US" and let him know that if anybody in there would look at their work and gave a cr*p about turning it out right, this problem could have been solved the first time. Will he refund my money? NO. Will he apologize for his shoddy work stranding my wife and 4 kids including an 8 month baby out on the highway in 100 degree heat with all three belts thrown? NO. Will he give a sh*t? NO.

But the important question... will I feel better? YES! Fact is, I already feel better tonight just thinking of the quiet but very public reaming I'm going to give him tomorrow right in front of his wife, parents, employees and customers. Vengance shall be MINE!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts