Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I am new to this forum, I have a 65 galaxie 4 door with a 352 four barrel in it in the shop. I am very new to cars, I have restored snowmobiles and working on two steam engines but never a car. I would really like to make it nice but an every day driver. It has dents along both sides but no major body rust. It does need paint and new chrome strips that go along the length of it. First order of business is to get it running. It was parked 20 yrs ago with a bad starter and I dont think dad ever drained the fuel tank. It is beyond me what to do first, i guess thats why I'm here. I have the equipment to do everything but I just need to get down and do it. I would really like to have a body shop take dents out and paint it. How much should I expect to pay for that? And if I send the body out I had just as well take out the interior and how much should I expect to pay for that? Dad wants me to wait untill we have the steam engines running but I'm not going to listen to him lol. I am only 15 so I can use all the advise I can get.
Thanks in advance,
Ryker Carruthers

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
It is pretty smart of you to mention the fuel is old. And that you can't drive a steam engine to school. You may have a bright future ahead of you, young man.

Let's see some pics of what you've got. What's your budget? Think the old man will kick something in?

Maybe you are right about the paint. I agree it is nice pulling into the parking lot all shined up! Can you use your dent puller and maybe a dolly kit and some bondo and a sander and take the opportunity to learn how to use them on the dents? Someone here can help you with that.

What's wrong with the interior? something a mail order seat cover, a dash cap and some carpet from a building supply store can fix?

Sometimes a no start problem is electical. Do some searches here for neutral safety switch and starter relay.

And keep in touch!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link to the shop manual! The dent puller is the only thing I can think of that I will need that I dont have. I have a friend that probably does though. I just didnt know if I could get the seats out without destroying thecovers. Ill be working 40 hrs a week this summer and may ask for a raise (I work for my dads plumbing and heating business). I figure dad may help a little but I wont ask. He took the starter out and it was the problem. I will take it to our electric motor guy sometime. Ill try to get some pictures of it tomorrow or wednesday. I think If i'm going as far as I want to paint it I think I just as well take everything off and sandblast and paint the frame.
Thanks, Ryker Carruthers

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
You got good spirit and I like that in a young lad. Start with cleaning up the fuel system. Tank, lines, carburetor then the motor fluids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has a automatic transmission, I'd like a manual if I can get it in there without to much trouble. Can anybody point me in the right direction for that?
Thanks, Ryker

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Here is a link to a 58 MX cruisomatic, which is pretty close to what you have. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/...vice/04/FordOMaticandCruiseOMaticT/index.html
Your 65 service manual will have a lot of info in there too. That cruiso is sort of an orphan, not many parts for it. Sometimes a shop will try to shoehorn C-6 parts into it but it does not end well. Maybe all it will need is the soft parts reconditioned and the bands tightened. Hope so.

Dents might be fixable from the inside, with a dolly and hammer, maybe not.

I am impressed your dad got the starter out, that is a pretty tough job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I havent posted pics yet, hopefully tonight. I took the carb off and have it here at school in the shop. Where can I get a rebuild kit for it?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Pics look good. First thing check frame for rust. Get under and use a hammer. Frame should sound solid especially aroung the forward body mount/torque boxes. Second take fuel tank off and clean it up good. Look in service manual for pics how to take off and take sending unit out. Clean it up/put it together then remount carb/check fluids. Starters are cheap. Look around. Get her running and clean the hell out of the motor bay so you know what you're looking at. Get pics and check back. We will help!!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
WELCOME!!
I to was 15 yrs old (MANY yrs ago) I wished I'd listened to my Father a little better.. .I listened O.K. but I also did it my way and in the end I'd say DAD I wished I'd done as you said.. Your young and we learn by listening/doing, redoing and our mistakes. that's part of growing up.
your car has be sitting for that long I for sure would drop the gas tank and take a good look at it. Check the fuel line as well.While your under the car TAP on the frame with a hammer to check for decaying frame .
The pitcure shows what can happen to a gas tank with gas left in it.
The shop still smells like varnish..
SORRY!! I guess I need to read what everyone else has said befor I go putting in my penny worth..

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WELCOME!!
I to was 15 yrs old (MANY yrs ago) I wished I'd listened to my Father a little better.. .I listened O.K. but I also did it my way and in the end I'd say DAD I wished I'd done as you said.. Your young and we learn by listening/doing, redoing and our mistakes..
He only did tell me to stop because of the other parts for steam engines laying around. When it comes to cars and anything with a petrol engine he is not the one to ask. He hates to admit it but I am a better welder than him too haha. The only thing he really instructed me on was to wait to take the gas tank out. He is very worried about me doing that alone especially because a friend of ours passed away last wednesday because of a gas fire. If I need any help with it I will come to you guys. I tapped around on the frame in the front end and it seems solid. It is rusty everywhere underneath but it just looks like surface and no giant flakes are falling off.
Thanks,
Ryker Carruthers

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sorry about your friends. Just remember Father knows BEST..
I still haven't figured out this " It hurt me worst than it hurt you" I was the one with welps on my bottom end..Maybe Dad threw out his arm swingin the belt..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts