Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man am I dreading doing this. Im almost done rebuilding my engine and after I take the roll bar out this is my next project. Wish there were some decent interior shops around here.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm really curious about this install (mine is missing too). Please take pictures, i think all the stuff is there on mine needing to install it. What holds the head liner in right above the doors? I'm assuming the rear and front window kinda hold the front and back right?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The windshield and rear window have to come out. Thats what I am dreading. I can do it in my garage so I am not worried about the temperature. I have pulled windows before, but I am always worried about breaking them and the exterior molding is always a bitch to get back in.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Good luck with this! Me personally will take mine to an interior shop when I decide to replace it. I actually have a new one still in it's package waiting for that day but mine is in great shape so until I need it the new one stay on the shelf. The only reason I have it is that it came with the complete interior kit I purchased years ago.

My fear is that I break the window or just can't get it right (leaks, wrinkles, you name it) and then I'm stuck with it. If a shop screws it up they'll have to make it right. Seems like a simple job until things go bad.

Let us know how it goes and pictures are great!

John

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Maybe consider having a decent glass shop handle the removal and install of the glass. I removed the glass in mine and while doing so cracked a perfectly good wind shield. Found a small glass shop that was very knowledge of old cars, the owner was restoring his '66 Mustang at the time so he definitely knew what he was in for. He ordered a new windshield and he and his son drove 35 miles to my house and installed both for me for $80.00 excluding the new front windshield. I had the new gaskets. Probably took them the better part of an hour. No glue and it's never leaked.

BTW, FE knows a trick to install a head liner without removing the windshields.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The easy way to get the glass out without breaking is to cut the gasket. Better a new gasket than a new windshield, right?

·
Registered
684 Posts
The windshield and rear window have to come out. Thats what I am dreading. I can do it in my garage so I am not worried about the temperature. I have pulled windows before, but I am always worried about breaking them and the exterior molding is always a bitch to get back in.
You can leave the front windshield in but the back window needs to come out. You will see what i mean when you remove the inside window trim.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can leave the front windshield in but the back window needs to come out. You will see what i mean when you remove the inside window trim.
That sounds good. I actually bought a rear window gasket because I think it may be leaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts