Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive got a 65 fairlane with the 200 I6 that I want to swap for 302. just wondering if i needed to touch the suspension and front/rear axles. also would i be able to use my current driveshaft w/out shortening and if not would i be able to get one the length i need. any help would be awesome

ps: got 5 lug front/rear axle

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks GoingBroke, that saves me time and money. im sure ill figure something out with the driveshaft, worst case i gotta get it shortened

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Probably going to to need to get V8 motor mounts, or fabricate some.

I know on the 64's the mounts were different and bolted to the chassis in a different location.

Other then mounts, driveshaft and a bigger radiator with the correct inlet and outlet. It's pretty simple.

Jet

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would be interested in the I6.... Anything wrong with the 6?. I have a 62 with a 6. Be nice to have a spare motor with parts... Let me know what price you want for it.

I am in South Jersey, Just outside of Cape May.... Have pick up truck or low trailer....

PM me.. Not in no hurry. Motor I have runs good, but, a spare would be nice to have in wait.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
FE,
I don't think the mounts you have will work in the Fairlane.
At least the 65/66 Mustang mounts wouldn't work on my Buddies 64 Fairlane. But, I've been wrong before. :)

The 289 and 302 have the same bolt spacing for the engine mounts from what I've seen. Only difference I found was the 260 or something else we pulled mounts off of in a junkyard 63ish fairlane. The bolt spacing was off quite a bit when we went to bolt them on his 289/302.

Jet

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys for everthing, saved me sometrouble and money.

to answer your question, yes the 6 runs fine. i also have a spare parts motor which also ran but i might hold onto that one for another project. i enjoyed the 6 but the trans recently cracked so i figured it was a sign to get rid of the ole girl and go bigger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts