Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just wondering if anyone had any pictures showing the parking brake mechanism from the underside of the car. i have just fitted new cables and need to know where the spring hooks onto to keep the cables taut. also any pictures of where the clutch return spring goes. i have got the mustang restoration handbook and it doesnt show anything. is there any better books on the market showing better pictures. thanks alot trev

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The actual Ford shop manual is the best book. You can get them on CD too.
I have a pic of the underside of a '67 which is similar. PM me with your email and I'll send you that pic if you want. The adjuster lever on the driver side is how you keep the cable tensioned. Stu

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I think the positions for return springs is same between the GT and standard models.

The spring for pedal return is about 1/2" diameter (stiff) and 6-7" long. It goes from loop set into firewall underneath the master cylinder, the over to a hole drilled in the top of the equalizer arm. I sort of remember looking at an auto trans equipped Mastang, and it did not have the loop nor hole in the firewall underneath the master cylinder. So there may be two part numbers involved here.

The spring for the emergency brake return is pretty long. The one end hooks into a hole in the stamped steel arm, inward of the cable ball. It then goes over the transmission extension towards the passenger side to a hole in the sub-frame.

There should also be a spring which holds the throwout arm tight to the lower end of the equalizer arm. This is smack up tight against the clutch adjuster too.

Wm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts