Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 671 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Re: 65' Mustang GT body restoration.

Looking great, Dennis! Very envious, here! :tup:
You shouldn't be too envious since I adapted your idea for opening up the wheel well. It was much simpler than the traditional method of sectioning the panel.

You're doing OK for a short fat dude.... :D :D :D
You forgot old . . . . . . :D

Looking good Dennis..I love those chrome magnums..Makes the car look great even in primer!
Yeah, I love those Magnums to no end. This year I tried to convince myself that I should toss them and go with lighter Prostar aluminum wheels but I like this semi-stock sleeper look better. I guess the look is worth losing a tenth or so at the track.

Having the full interior, stock appearing T-shift handled shifter, and those magnums made winning the stick championship this year all the more tasty.

Lookin good Dennis. What is your racing schedule looking like this year?
Well, unless the body shop fairies show up it looks like I will miss some of the local spring racing. I really want to get paint on the outside of this thing before it leaves the garage and I am afraid that I will need to wait for warmer weather. Once it is together , I hope to make a few more ProStick races since I added a newer toter to my stable. AC comfort in the summer--aahhhhhhhh.

Thanks guys for all the good comments. :D

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Since the last time I stripped the trunk, repaired all the old dents (including a "fresh one" that occurred in mid-85 when a garage door spring broke) and primered it:

I also finished both roof pillars, block sanded both quarters (looking for highs and lows), and then reprimered them:

Finally I removed the trunk, the headliner, rear side window glass and loaded the nearly naked carcass on my trailer in the snow:

Of course I had to un-winterize my trailer for the trip. :rolleyes:

Then the rig left for the family skunkworks for some super secret modifications--the likes of which could not be photographed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . because the wife took the camera to Seattle last week to visit some of our kids and the newest granddaughter. :)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

Hey when did the newer style shelby hood appear?
Is that a new hauler?
How in the heck are you gonna put the headliner back in with that rollcage in there? :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)

Hood installed mid summer. Not sure if I like it or not. I was hoping it would give me clearance for a Victor intake, but it didn't.

Yes, a "new to me" hauler, also added mid summer. Still have ole Jimmy tucked away warm in the garage. Its a 2500hd that totes the trailer effortlessly-don't even know that it is their. AC was a welcome addition on those hot Friday race nights. The creature comforts helps to keep the little lady happy.

Headliner will be interesting to install, but it will be possible. It came out fairly easily and reinstallation will be like getting a workout on a Jungle Jim with a lot of climbing in and around the roll bar. The perplexing part is coming up with a way to cover the speaker area (which was originally incorporated with the roll bar and needed to becut out to remove the headliner.) Probably piece something together and cover the seams with carpet.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)

The Grenadier might as well have been a grenade (as you can see by the current look of my car.) :)

As is often the case in this hobby when you tear a car down, one thing needs to another which finally leads to a nearly today reconstruction. I'll admit that I probably bit off more than I can chew for 1 winter, but oh well it is what it is and I have yet to loose focus on my desired result.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)

GT is now mini tubbed, as revealed by the following spy pics from the family skunk works . . . . .

Tape markings show clearances used in centering the rear end from side to side, as determined by a bare 10" rim:

LH front frame connector modified for use with Caltracs:

Wheelwell surgery to allow more tire clearance:

Caltracs installed:

Modified the rear frame rails as they are the tightest location (not counting the inner wheel well):

Relocated the axle bumper to the inside of the frame:

Rear spring hanger:

Might be switched to sliders in the future.

Driver's compartment look at new mini tub:

Seat bracket reinstalled:

Car on rack at my brother's garage:

Surgery complete:

The last picture does not show all the awesomeness of the mini tub. Here is what it looked like before the mini tub:

--Total $$ invested in mini tub and spring relocation : $400 in parts. Includes Crites spring relocation kit, HD spring perches, aftermarket inner wheel wells (optional), 8' of 3.5" wide 1/8" steel, 4' 3" wide 1/8" steel. 10' of 22 gauge sheet metal.
--Total time to complete: 40 hours (neither one of us had done this relocation before.)
--Clearance gained: nearly 3" per side.

After a little more grinding, body filler, cleaning primer, and seam sealer, the GT will be sent back home to recoup and to continue its body renovation.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

GT is now safely home and tucked in the garage. Before I put on the street wheels for the trip, I did a test fit with 10" wide, 5.5" backspace rims. Has a full 2" of clearance left before hitting the inner wheelwell:

Now seriously considering narrowing the rear 1" to 1 1/4" on each side to better tuck the wheel/tires inside the enlarged cavity.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts

GT is now safely home and tucked in the garage. Before I put on the street wheels for the trip, I did a test fit with 10" wide, 5.5" backspace rims. Has a full 2" of clearance left before hitting the inner wheelwell:
Now seriously considering narrowing the rear 1" to 1 1/4" on each side to better tuck the wheel/tires inside the enlarged cavity.
5.5" backspace with a 10" wheel probably won't be enough. That's about like 3.5" backspace on an 8" wheel... Of course, the tire will be spread out more, so it will have less bulge, but it 'might' need some more back space.

What tires do you plan to run? The 28x10.5 Stiff Sidewall? You may want to go ahead and buy them, then mount em' on wheels and see where you are before going much further... or borrow someone elses 28x10.5's on 10" wheels for a test fit.

Looking Great!

(I love having a guinea pig who does such an excellent job of documenting their accomplishments) LOL!

Those 10" wheels look friggin' HUGE! :D

Good Luck!

·
Registered
745 Posts

Dennis did you have to weld on new spring perches? Kinda tough to tell from your pics but are they boxed in?

Love the write up!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)

5.5" backspace with a 10" wheel probably won't be enough. That's about like 3.5" backspace on an 8" wheel... Of course, the tire will be spread out more, so it will have less bulge, but it 'might' need some more back space.

What tires do you plan to run? The 28x10.5 Stiff Sidewall? You may want to go ahead and buy them, then mount em' on wheels and see where you are before going much further... or borrow someone elses 28x10.5's on 10" wheels for a test fit.

Looking Great!

(I love having a guinea pig who does such an excellent job of documenting their accomplishments) LOL!

Those 10" wheels look friggin' HUGE! :D

Good Luck!
You are right Mike in that a 6.5" or possibly as much as much as a 7" back space on a 10" rim would be required in most cases.

My rim choice has already been made and it is only available with a maximum 5.5" backspace. Easily taken care of by narrowing the rear. Since I already have decent aftermarket axles with an extra long set of splines, it is about $300 to have that done and also to ensure that the housing is straight. I would have had nearly that additional in another set of rims, lugs, and lug nuts.

Yes, I am shooting for the 28x10.5 stiff wall slicks and have acquired an old one from a racing buddy. I plan on mounting it prior to making a final decision on what to do with the rear. My car also has the advantage over most in that I pushed out the quarterpanels years ago and that helped me with my old 26x10's on an 8" rim.

Hoping that the big slicks stick like glue on a good prepped track so that I can finally launch in my powerband. :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)

Dennis did you have to weld on new spring perches? Kinda tough to tell from your pics but are they boxed in?

Love the write up!
Yes, installing (or moving) the spring perches inboard is required. Although the kit comes with run of the mill perches, I used a HD pair that I already had which includes the boxing. You can see it here next to the old perch which I will remove prior to sending the rear out:

One thing not mentioned is that the kit I used will raise the rear of the car slightly due to the extended rear shackles. In my case it wasn't raised too much as the perches were taller than stock and the front spring eyelet was installed slightly higher than stock. I took this into account when I welded on the perches and built in a little more negative pinion angle.

21 - 40 of 671 Posts