Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 671 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Re: 65' Mustang GT body restoration.

Today's progress wasn't much, as I first needed to work on my honey due list. Even so, I finish filled the inner wheel wells and repaired the major dents in the trunk:

Even filled and sanded the top (almost hidden) part of the wheel well.

Can't wait to see it all in one color . . . .

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)

This week I replaced much of the rear window panel with a Dynocorn patch. I must say that the metal was heavy, although the shape was a little off in the window flange. I considered replacing the whole panel, but it seemed like a major task and thus I cut the panel back to the flat area near the trunk lid:

Used a flanging tool to make a nice mating flange and to punch welding holes:

Sprayed the areas to be welded with weld thru primer and regular primer in the other areas:

Test fitted the panel and trimmed it as needed. Then clamped into place for welding:

Stitched welded the window flange area and also stitched the mating area before fully welding it:

Coated the area with body filler and sanded to perfection until it was ready for primer:

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)

Picked up a pair of 1/2 used 28x10.5x15S ET Drags from a track friend to mount on my new rims.

H - U - G -E ! ! ! !

As seen below:

The small street tire above is 25x8x14 on a 5.5" rim, which always looked large on the car. The middle slick is what I have been using the last couple of seasons and are 26x10x15S on an 8" rim. On the right is the new beefy 28x10.5x15S on a 10" rim.

How does it look on the car?

H - U - G -E ! ! ! !

Has the expected 1" clearance between the slick and the front of the wheel well.

Here is a shot of the 26" slick:

And finally, here is a shot of the 25" street tire:

Another shot of the big meat shows lots of clearance to the inner wheel well and frame.

The tire will be about an inch closer once the rear is narrowed.

Wonder what size street tire I will be able to run once the rear is shortened???

:D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
810 Posts

Wonder what size street tire I will be able to run once the rear is shortened???

:D :D :D :D :D
Looks like you've been busy this winter Dennis. You are an inspiration to us all. Not sure how much street action your car gets, but I've found that the MT 275/60/15's work pretty well on the street for my junk. Here's a photo for comparison:
3055S on the left, 275 in the middle and a 28X10 Hoosier on the right.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

Starting to look seriously racy Dennis! :) Where did you get the custom magnum rims made up?..Can't wait to see it back on the ground..Looks like its gonna have some rake to it..What are you going to run on the front for tires?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Looks like you've been busy this winter Dennis. You are an inspiration to us all. Not sure how much street action your car gets, but I've found that the MT 275/60/15's work pretty well on the street for my junk. Here's a photo for comparison:
3055S on the left, 275 in the middle and a 28X10 Hoosier on the right.
Thanks Cain. I probably want more of a street tire (PA frowns upon race-like DOT's on the driven on the highways.) Also would prefer something shorter (25-26") so a 50 series might be in order.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Summit! The big 10" wide Magnums are now off the shelf items and are available with either a 5" or a 5.5" BS. They were recently on sale. I thought a 5.5" would work, but really it needs 6.5" (which would be custom.) I will have the rear narrowed 1", which is cheaper than buying custom wheels (especially since I already have aftermarket axles with a nice long spline area.)

Not sure that I like the rake and need to do some research into spacer blocks. It would be nice to tuck the tires up in the wheel well some. Front tires will be the same 25" jobs that I installed mid year. Front runners will come later.

Thanks Willy.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

Probably too late but I just thought I would throw this out there..A lot of guys are running the weld 10 inch wide with 6.5 backspacing rims on the 1999ish to 2004 mustangs....I see them for sale every now and then on a local mustang site that is geared to newer stangs..

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)

Primered and seamsealed window panel, wheel wells and trunk:

The following 2 pics best show what the mini tubs looks like in the trunk:

Thought that this pic was cool:

·
Registered
7,414 Posts

Awesome as always, Dennis! You're very talented! Your mini-tub job is amazing, but the car is going to come out too pretty to race. :D

Is the engine going to just like last year, or have you done any 'freshening up' or changes for the new year?

Even if you leave the engine 'as-is' from last year, you have done a CRAP TON of work for one winter!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Aw, Gee, Shucks. Thanks Mike. :cool:

I bit off more than I could handle in one winter, but when this project gets done it opens up the options for next year. Would love to get a start on a 427 or 435 Dart stroker, $$ permitting.

For this year I have a nasty new Bullet solid roller that I've considering using. Not sure yet. Otherwise it will be the same combo as last year with a refresh.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)

Awesome Dennis.
Bill
Thanks Billy.

This week's project was to replace the rear tail light panel. Although it looked nice before due to some serious bondo work, one look at it from inside the trunk showed how bad that it mangled in the past.

After an hour of drilling out 60 or so spot welds and attacking it with a saws all, I had this crumbled pile of metal/bondo laying on the floor:

Big gaping hole left once the old panel was removed:

In the above photo you can clearly see the rear Crites spring relocation hangers and the rear of a Calvert mono leaf spring.

I was very surprised by all the surface rust between the 2 panels. Shows how poorly the cars were prepped at the factory and the deterioration that occurred after 45 years to bare metal. Even so, there was no rust through so I brushed and sanded it away. A generous coating of weld thru primer was used before the new panel was installed.

New panel welded in place:

A little sanding, primering, and sealing and the panel/trunk will be ready for paint.

I spent a few bucks more and got the Ford approved panel supposedly from their original dies. I found that the metal was heavy and formed nicely. I can't say that the primer job was the best (no biggy because I will remove it anyways.) Was surprised to find one area to the side of the gas cap opening that had been "picked" with a hammer from the inside 4-5 times but the outside had been ground to a nice straight finish.

You might notice in the last 2 photos that the GT valance is history. Although I prefer it, moving the springs inboard meant that the shackles took up the space where the tailpipes used to go. Running new tailpipes under the gas tank will probably end up being the worst repercussion of the mini tub job. My state requires the exhaust to exit at the rear of the car so I'll have to come up with something that I can live with (or more than likely something that can be removed after the yearly safety inspection.)

The valance shown is a typical $35 import job. Fit was fairly decent and it will require only minimal reshaping to meet the quarters smoothly.

This week I will rework a couple of areas that didn't turn out to my liking and then reprimer all bare metal before starting on the doors.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Looks like you feel ill with a case of "whileI'matit"... awesome progress. What are you using for primer?
Bill

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)

Yep, lots of WhileI'matit going on. Isn't that how most projects go with our toys? With the amount of work being tackled the last thing I want to say later is "I wish I would have done . . . . . . ." before I painted it.

My mental completion deadline is May and so I work on it an hour or two 3 nights a week plus 10-12 hours on a typical weekend. Much more than that and I get burned out. My good racing buddy tells me to quit my day job, move into the garage, and work on it all the time. I don't think the wife will go for that. :rolleyes:

Using PPG Omni brand paint supplies. Good stuff and fairly inexpensive. I've used Dupont in the past, but that source went out of business. MP170 is an epoxy primer (and a sealer) suitable for bare metal. When mixed with the appropriate catalyst, it only takes 1-2 light coats to seal the metal from moisture. Then I use their MP182 2K urethane surfacer and hardener for build-up.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)

Finally got the tail light panel and the remainder of the trunk primered and seam sealed:

Stripped the passenger door to bare metal only to find lots of rust that needed repaired on both the inner frame and the lower out side. Here are some of the rusty pieces that I removed:

Cut out all the visible rust:

And butt welded fresh metal in its place:

Repaired the inner frame just below the lower hinge after first cutting out the rust:

Used 4 separate pieces of metal and butted them together. Patched the lower inner crimped flange where it had bubbled:

Welded up a couple of stupidly placed old mirror holes:

Rebuilt the hinges and began fitting the door and front fender prior to adding filler:

I also stripped the 9" rear housing and had it narrowed 1 1/4" on both sides, plus the Moser axles shortened. Found it interesting in how they narrowed the housing. He chopped it of about 5" from the end, removed the desired amount, added a short inner sleeve, and welded it back together. Then the housing was checked for straightness:

Note the heavy duty spring perch that I used above.

I still need to grind the welds down, clean the housing, and repaint it.

The rear is either a 58' or 59' Ford, as evident by the drain plug:

The Moser axles were also shortened and straightened. One was .022 and the other .011 from being true from the splined area to the well flange.

The machinist (who has been doing this for 41 years) told me that the available aftermarket axles are not the same quality as they were 7-10 years ago. He said it didn't what brand they were. He was impressed with the depth of the case hardening on the cut off axles:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

Coming along great Dennis..What about a fuel cell in the trunk instead of the stock tank?..My thinking is it would allow you more room underneath to run your exhaust?..It's a shame you had to get rid of the GT valence and tips..

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

You guys with the later year cars have it so much easier when fitting wide tires . . . . . ;)

A fuel cell in the trunk is a thought, but I would need to build a firewall (which I should have anyways.) Would like to have a functioning fuel gauge too so I would need to find one that matches the old ford's resistance.

I really hated to loose the GT valance as that is one of the cool things about these cars. I may modify the old valance later with faked exhaust tips to re-establish the GT look.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

I really hated to loose the GT valance as that is one of the cool things about these cars. I may modify the old valance later with faked exhaust tips to re-establish the GT look.
I think it would be worth it..Especially if you stick with the magnums!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)

Thought I would get a lot done this week, but it didn't happen as the moon and stars didn't align quite right.

Stripped the 2 coats of primer off the passenger fender:

Stripped the paint off the driver's door, cut out the rust, and welded in fresh metal. Rebuilt the hinges and then fitted the door to the body:

Installed the driver's side fender and then stripped 1 coat of primer off it:

Installed the lower front valance to help align the fenders:

The 2 front fenders are new old stock Goodmark brand that I once was going to use on my convertible. I bought them 10 years ago when Goodmark was phasing out the Mustang stuff and left them stored in their protective boxes. At the time they were supposedly the best fitting fenders available. The passenger side that I installed in the summer fit fairly well and required minimum tweaking. The driver's side fit crappy and it took hours to get it aligned. It is a mess but I think I can finally see some daylight on it. Too bad that once everything is tweaked, it all has to come off again for primer on the undersides and then it all gets reinstalled.

Less than 2 weeks to opening day at the track. Pretty safe bet that unless Chip Foose and the Overhaul'in crew steal my car for a week or the body work fairies takeover one night that I am not going to make it. I really don't want it "Pimped." LOL. Oh well, it is still too cold to paint and I really want all my hard work to show (or should I say NOT show?) when it is done.

41 - 60 of 671 Posts