Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
It seems that the R model Shelby style front valance is really popular with people building '65-'66 Mustangs these days. The '65 Mustang I am building for a customer is no different as the owner like the looks of the open front end that the R model style valance offers. The Mustang has a TCI C-4 automatic transmission that needed an oil cooler but I did not want to mount it directly to the Fluidyne aluminum radiator and possibly wear a hole in one of the tubes. I decided to mount it to the front radiator support down low so it could be directly in the airflow that the R model valance offers.

This was the perfect place to mount the oil cooler:

The B&M oil cooler is the heavy duty version that will take some abuse and possibly a rock hit and come out shining:

The oil cooler has two flanges that allow easy mounting. The furthermost front cross member that is directly in front of the radiator has a 1" lip that is perfect for the bottom of the cooler to mount to. The cross member was center punched for the holes to be drilled using the cooler itself as a guide :

Since the radiator was already mounted in the car and I was going to be drilling holes that could possibly puncture the radiator, I slipped a small piece of brake line tubing over the drill bit to act as a stop:

With the bottom mount taken care of, I needed to address the upper mount. I used a 26" long piece of 1" x 1" x 1/8" angle iron that would span the radiator support opening and allow the oil cooler to bolt to it:

A notch was made on each side of the angle mount to allow it to fit the shape of the radiator support:

The oil cooler was centered on the angle mount and two holes were drilled to allow the cooler to bolt to it. 1/4"-20 nuts were welded to the backside of the mount to allow easy mounting:

Here is the cooler bolted to the mount:

The cooler and mount are bolted to the car using the two lower mounting holes, and the two upper mounting holes are drilled in the radiator support and the mount is bolted on:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: R Model Valance '65 Mustang Oil Cooler Mounting

Nice job. The B&M coolers are called supercoolers and are a stack plate design and supposed to cool better and the plates certainly feel stronger than the thin fin style. They also have a bypass valve to bypass the cooler until your trans. fluid is warmed up which is pretty slick, much like an engine oil coooler does. I'll be using the model that takes 1/2" NPT fittings and run 5/16" steel line to it. Also trying to figure out an upper mount that won't be seen but haven't gotten that far yet.
Did you run the lines through the rad. trans. cooler first then through the B&M? Seems to be a split with trans. co's on whether to run through the stock rad. first but that's the way car manuf. do it also. I plan to run through both.
Jon

Edit: meant to post the B&M link Automatic Transmission SuperCoolers

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Nice job. The B&M coolers are called supercoolers and are a stack plate design and supposed to cool better and the plates certainly feel stronger than the thin fin style. They also have a bypass valve to bypass the cooler until your trans. fluid is warmed up which is pretty slick, much like an engine oil coooler does. I'll be using the model that takes 1/2" NPT fittings and run 5/16" steel line to it. Also trying to figure out an upper mount that won't be seen but haven't gotten that far yet.

Did you run the lines through the rad. trans. cooler first then through the B&M? Seems to be a split with trans. co's on whether to run through the stock rad. first but that's the way car manuf. do it also. I plan to run through both.
Jon
With the car at ride height, the upper mount disappears.(I took the photo with the car on a lift looking up) The radiator I have does not have cooler provisions, so I will be running the external cooler only.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts

Jon[/quote]

The radiator factory cooler should be used only, unless you're in an extremely cold climate. That way the engine collant heat will bring the trans fluid temp to the proper temp. In areas like El Paso, B&M cooler only.
The radiator trans cooler is just a cheap factory way of having some kind of trans cooler.

·
Registered
18 Posts

The B&M cooler should be used only, unless you're in an extremely COLD climate. That way the engine collant heat will bring the trans fluid temp to the proper temp. In areas like El Paso, B&M cooler only.
The radiator trans cooler is just a cheap factory way of having some kind of trans cooler.
I take it you meant HOT climate. I was referring to factory instances where they add an external cooler, they run through the rad. lower then to the external cooler, this way the hotter trans. fluid comes down to the lower temp. of the rad. coolant then into the seperate external cooler for further temp. drop.

I have read a few aftermarket trans. manuf. FAQ's and they are split on their instructions to run through both or only external so I doubt there is a drastic err to do it either way barring extreme cold temps which wouldn't require an ext. cooler anyway?

F15, I see what you mean about the splitter hiding the flat bar now.
Jon

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This car is going to Phoenix so cold won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts

I take it you meant HOT climate. I was referring to factory instances where they add an external cooler, they run through the rad. lower then to the external cooler, this way the hotter trans. fluid comes down to the lower temp. of the rad. coolant then into the seperate external cooler for further temp. drop.
I have read a few aftermarket trans. manuf. FAQ's and they are split on their instructions to run through both or only external so I doubt there is a drastic err to do it either way barring extreme cold temps which wouldn't require an ext. cooler anyway?
Jon
Running the lines through both coolers sounds like more plumbing than it's worth to me. An aftermarket cooler is all you need. That's all we ran on our stock cars and it worked just fine. Don't bother running it through the radiator cooler if you plan on installing an aftermarket. The most logical reason I can think of why they would tell you to use both is for T-ing into the lines at the easiest place, which enables both coolers to be used. I assure you that using both is highly unnecessary. All it's gonna cost you is extra tranny oil when you change it.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts

Jon
To early in the morning, hadn't had my 5th cup of coffee yet.

·
Registered
212 Posts

I did the same thing on my 65. I went a step further, because I had a spare honey comb grill section. It was not a complete/good grill section, I used it to make a small grill for the tranny cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts