Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
The horn is wired differently so you will have to deal with that.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you explain?
The Falcon the horn button or ring completes the circuit when pushed.
I was looking at the knock off shelby wheel. I like its appearance. But if its going not to work...

·
Registered
634 Posts
In 65 falcon,mustang and others have a different wiring set up than the 64 and older. Your falcon should have a one small spring with a brass end on it to complete the connection when you push on the horn . I sold the 66 mustang column i had ,but it seems like there was two connections in it. Hang in here and some body will know for sure.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The 64 and earlier setups have a horn relay. Pressing the horn button will complete the ground connection. The 65's and later sent +12 volts directly to the horn(s). This was also when the switch from generator to alternator systems occured.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First I am sorry to continue this thread, and 2nd I am not argue with anyone..

Now disclaimer said...

no matter if you pushing a ground through a switch or a +12v through the switch its a switch.. The horn is a switch. You push the button and it contacts the metal inside completing the circuit..

So would it be a pointless effort get the steering wheel? Or is it adaptable. I am not keen on ripping the whole steer column out to change the wheel. Or putting a button under the dash.

I was thinking maybe a jumper or something inside the wheel to make it function as the original??

·
Registered
634 Posts
Look at the plates on both sides of the falcon wheel and the mustang wheel . I believe you will see they are different , but you may be able to switch them. I just now looked at another mustang column, there is two wires in it with spring loaded contacts buttons. The falcon has one that goes in a hole in the wheel. All i can say is ' put the wheel on and push on the horn button' it may or may not work.
I did put a 66 Mustang wheel on a 65 Falcon and it worked because they are wired the same. The steering wheel plates are the same. I only know what i have tried.:)

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
I did this on brother Ed's car, you have to ground 1 of the 2 wires, the other still hooks to the relay. A horn switch is a GROUND based system, no 12V on it.... a 65 falcon HAS a horn relay, horn switches go to ground, causing the HOT side to feed the horn....

Buy BWD Horn Relay R209P at Advance Auto Parts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I did this on brother Ed's car, you have to ground 1 of the 2 wires, the other still hooks to the relay. A horn switch is a GROUND based system, no 12V on it.... a 65 falcon HAS a horn relay, horn switches go to ground, causing the HOT side to feed the horn....

Buy BWD Horn Relay R209P at Advance Auto Parts

Can he wire it like that and still use the 63 relay ? I;m sure it's just like the one in my 64 .

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Can he wire it like that and still use the 63 relay ? I;m sure it's just like the one in my 64 .
0-

Yes, it's a 3 wire relay, 60-70, based on a ground, coming out of a Alt cloumn is 2 pins at the top, and 2 wires at the bottom, you have to ground one of those, the other heads to the relay.....

·
Registered
382 Posts
A horn switch is a GROUND based system, no 12V on it.... a 65 falcon HAS a horn relay, horn switches go to ground, causing the HOT side to feed the horn....

I give up... Where is it?

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am thinking this would require a newer column? and Since my system from column to horn is old. I am not sure i am tracking the mod (the why)..

If the steering wheel will be not electrically compatable with the column then I think none of that is important..

I switched to a horn ring from a horn button and basically unscrewed the bits and pieces from inside the button to put in the ring. And it worked. Maybe I can get lucky.

I think the problem is matching up the contacts on the mustang button with the falcon colun parts.. Or am I way off mark here? I am not sure I am tracking the addition of relay and stuff.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am thinking this would require a newer column? and Since my system from column to horn is old. I am not sure i am tracking the mod (the why)..

If the steering wheel will be not electrically compatable with the column then I think none of that is important..

I switched to a horn ring from a horn button and basically unscrewed the bits and pieces from inside the button to put in the ring. And it worked. Maybe I can get lucky.

I think the problem is matching up the contacts on the mustang button with the falcon colun parts.. Or am I way off mark here? I am not sure I am tracking the addition of relay and stuff.
I think you are on the right track matching the mustang plate to the contact pin. The relay on my 64 is below the voltage regulator. I think your 63 will be in the same place. It's a 3 pin plug with 4 wires coming out of it. One horn is right below it and you can see the wire going to it. I put a new ford wiring harness in that area and it has 3 yellow with green strip and 1 blue with yellow strip.
Those wireing diagrams allways mix me up,I have found just tracing the wires to where the go works best for me.

·
Registered
465 Posts

The 65 wheel will in fact fit the earlier falcons. the only problem is the earlier falcon uses a horn relay whereas the 65 wheel is designed for use without a horn relay. but all is not lost. Takes a simple jumper installed on the 65 wheel to make the horn work.
R

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I have a Grant Wheel on a 69 mustang column in my 64. The 64 wiring is different. I soldiered a wire to the new mounting plate and spliced it to the original wire in the harness that ran to the relay. It's just doing away with the spring contact that sat in the hole of the 64. Works great and the horns are loud. you should use a horn relay in any case. Every modern day vehicle has one or two.

·
Registered
465 Posts
To make the 65 wheel operate the horn on a 64 and earlier you just need to add a short jumper between the outer mount plate and the inner contact ring via the ring mounting screw behind the mounting plate. The outer contact ring will no longer be used and won't hurt anything by still being there. The jumper grounds the inner contact ring to the hub and shaft whenever the horn is pressed. Simple fix.
R

1 - 19 of 19 Posts