Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy who wants to trade this car for my Cobra Replica and I'm not sure what it's worth??

What I know is it's a 289 car with and automatic trans...single exhaust!!

Photos look good but the previous owner who has passed away took a C-4 out and installed and AOD.....that is all I know at this point!!

Current owner says it's a #3 car and runs well, new top and everything works but that's about it!!

I have a few photos if that might help??

Thanks!!

Cobrajack.......maybe Mustangjack??

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Photo's ALWAYS help. He's LYING if he thinks it's a #3 car. The guy must have no sense of value.

Single exhaust is a 2V 289 C4 car, not super desirable nut no drop in a bucket either.

The AOD upgrade sounds fun, but it's also NOT a 65 289 if it is, unless it's a Fall or late production model. Probably 66 or 67 289 as the majority of the 65 289's I've run across are 5 bolt and an AOD won't fit on a 5 bolt 289.

So toss originality out the window and think about what you got into that Cobra.

Think about the cool factor of a 65 mustang. Inspect the CRAP out of it because you can get a 65 Vert in decent condition for $8,000 or less all day long.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
To me, trading a cobra replica for a 65 vert is a trade down unless I already had 1 or 2 other Cobra's to choose from to go out and cruise.

My car is a 65 fastback and it has a 6 bolt so it is very possible. Unless it is going to be a show car though the original engine is not all that important any more. Tasteful upgrading and enhancing is more desirable for a driver. Even a 2V 289, AOD tranny, convertible 65 mustang is a cool ride if it has been re-built well and is in good shape.

It is easy enough to put a 4 barrel intake/carb and dual exhaust on it, upgrade the suspension and put nicer rims and tires. The AOD makes it nice for cruising on the highway.

What are they worth? Prices on the verts will go down(my prediction) now that the new vert body shells are being made and sold. You'll have to go look at the sales and auctions to see what they are selling for. Wild guess is somewhere in the teens(10k to 20k) depending on the condition of the car since it is not a K or A code GT car. If it were one of the rare of the rares in great condition it would go in the 20's I think.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary,

It had a C-4 and the guy pud an AOD in it several years ago.......that's all I know right now other than it runs well but need alignment??

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Make the trade. As Shelby American continues to crank out "Real ((LOL)) Cobras" with SAI # plates, the replicas will continue to depress in value.

Actually do what makes you happy. If it's that close of a toss up then do what you want, don't think about the money.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Yep, it's not a #3 car, it's a #4 1/2 to 5 car. But don't let that drive you.

In my opinion the cobra rep is not that desirable of a car compared to a Pony Convertible. The cobra makes noise and looks snappy but it's only a half truth as a car, the mustang is a full truth :)

Mustangs are conversation pieces, because everyone is related to someone that had one way back when, and NOBODY has a relative that owned a Cobra way back then.... See what I mean.

Drop back and do what makes YOU happy like the bird said, it's you that needs to be satisfied and the $ part is nothing compared to happiness in driving :)

And that's probably a later model 302... Go for it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with ya Gary....

I had to have the Cobra back in 2000........it is a BLAST and scary but it's a "4 Wheeled Motorcycle" and that is where we are today!! No "creature comforts" and no safety stuff!!:eek:

If we want to go to the Mountains I have to trailer it and that's a hassle but fun!!

The Mustang is a real car we could drive....less hassle!!;)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the guy sold the 65 Mustang to his brother but still wants my Cobra.......good news!!

Now to haggle with him......ugh!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
622 Posts
good thing you didn't trade. a convertible mustang is a dime a dozen. the cobra even being a replica is better in every way that its not even close. you would have gave up a GREAT.car and great conversation piece for something so blah! i understand people kinda get tired of their cars and want to try something different but a convertible mustang is not something you trade a cobra for

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was gonna be his Mustang plus about $20K........we were still "negotiating"!!

It's really better it didn't work out as I have a neighbor that agreed to buy it yesterday......not sure I want it that close by but we'll see??

·
Registered
622 Posts
It was gonna be his Mustang plus about $20K........we were still "negotiating"!!

It's really better it didn't work out as I have a neighbor that agreed to buy it yesterday......not sure I want it that close by but we'll see??
i see, that makes more sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts