Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Subscriber
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having a problem installing a 65 Mustang 2 speed wiper motor to my 63 Ranchero. The switch, wiring and motor installs fine into the old 1 speed motor mount bracket. Here's the problem. The crank arm from the 1 speed motor fits ok into the Mustang motor, but the linkage won't line up. What the result is the wiper blades Do NOT park down on the bottom of the winshield as they should. This is because the linkage is now "too long" (was fine with the single speed set-up) & if you "force" it to fit the crank arm, the wiper arms do not rest right--they are pushed up the windshield. The arms sit about 2-3 " above where they should be. Would cutting the linkage to fit solve the problem or would the travel then be a shorter wipe because of the cut--the wipers would then not go all the way to vertical & back correctly. The motor "parks" at rest a bit farther to where the problem of mounting the linkage starts.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
No dont cut the linkages unless you have a mig to put them back together. Not for sure but are the wiper arms splined on the shaft, or are they 'keyed' in the wiper shafts? The reason i ask gives a way to 'fix' them if they are just splined....

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think you might be off on the splines, i used a 2 speed wiper motor from a 79 f-150 and it worked good. All i had to do was change the switch to the truck one and put the 64 wiper knob on it plus a little wiring change.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think you might be off on the splines, i used a 2 speed wiper motor from a 79 f-150 and it worked good. All i had to do was change the switch to the truck one and put the 64 wiper knob on it plus a little wiring change.
Yep. Just pull the arms off when they're parked and put them in the right spot.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
No dont cut the linkages unless you have a mig to put them back together. Not for sure but are the wiper arms splined on the shaft, or are they 'keyed' in the wiper shafts? The reason i ask gives a way to 'fix' them if they are just splined....

:(:(:( thought i had said that without saying that....

·
Registered
634 Posts
:(:(:( thought i had said that without saying that....
:(__Sorry for the repeat on my part but most guys like to hear from more than just one person. Besides i used a different wiper motor in a newer car and thought the O.P.might could use the information with what i ran in to. It is a forum for all ,not just a one on one conversation. But if it makes you feel better i repeat ,I'm sorry for intruding.__:rolleyes:_oh yeah.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
:(__Sorry for the repeat on my part but most guys like to hear from more than just one person. Besides i used a different wiper motor in a newer car and thought the O.P.might could use the information with what i ran in to. It is a forum for all ,not just a one on one conversation. But if it makes you feel better i repeat ,I'm sorry for intruding.__:rolleyes:_oh yeah.
;););).. lol... understand... dut you are probably right, he wants 10 to tell him the same thing, to be sure and all....:D:D

·
Registered
634 Posts
;););).. lol... understand... dut you are probably right, he wants 10 to tell him the same thing, to be sure and all....:D:D

Ha ha , I know what you mean, some are hard to get through to. I think he has been told that part enough and if the others want to keep repeating there's not much we can do. If they come up with some thing different then,ok. :)__It happens on all forums , there was somebody last week on two different ford truck forums asking the same questions and getting the same response at the same time. He was asking some dumb questions just for fun i think. I posted what i thought he was doing on both forums to the others and it stopped right then and there.:tup:__But there are a few out there that makes you wonder if they have any brains at all and they are trying to do their own repairs .:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Since the 2 speed motor only rotates 90 deg it needs a longer arm on the motor to work correctly. The arm from the old 1 speed is too short for that motor which won't work on the falcon linkage. Since the arm only rotates 90 deg the arm has to be almost twice as long.
R

Notice the arm is longer on the 2 spd wiper motor. Don't have a dimension right now but could get one.

Attachments

·
Subscriber
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
For 64 Furura & Comechero,
Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the splines on the Ranchero, they are indexed--that is there is one spline larger than the other splines on the shaft. The arm has to mate up with the shaft. So to rotate the arm on the shaft won't work. The motor arm in the picture is longer than mine. The motor arm I have is "too long" ( a short one) too far at park and the linkage won't reach without making the wipers pull up on the windshield about 2". By the way, all parts appear to be the original 1 speed parts.
Also, the Mustang motor is very noisy when mounted to the firewall frame and the noise resonates throughout the inside of the dash whe mounted. I don't know where to go & have looked for a rebuilder for these motors, but no luck. Chime in if you guys know some business who does it. Have 3 & all are noisy or don't work.

Plan "B" is to use a motor/switch combo from a 74-78 or so F100. It mounts by changing the grommets on the bracket to line up with the motor case, but have one question to those who have done this swap" Is the motor shaft when operating suppose to rotate a full 360 degrees? It is a rebuilt one from Rockauto. I checked the applications & the motor covers a few years. The switch is ok to mount like the motor, but I checked the motor first & saw this happening. Any thoughts as to why the motor rotates a full circle (busted) instead of the 90 degree or so swipe?
I notice that the gear case is smaller than the Mustang 2 speed. Looked inside the truck motor gear case & there are fewer gears compared to the Mustang. It also has a intermitent control and in that mode, the motor rotates a full 360, pauses and goes on etc. But when the power is off, the motor does "Park" in the same place. I haven't gone further to install to see if the linkage lines up. But if you guys have done the 74-79 or so motor swipe, let me know so about the motor rotation if I need to return the motor to Rockauto for a replacement part. Sorry its long, but wanted to give you guys details.

·
Registered
634 Posts
For 64 Furura & Comechero,
Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the splines on the Ranchero, they are indexed--that is there is one spline larger than the other splines on the shaft. The arm has to mate up with the shaft. So to rotate the arm on the shaft won't work. The motor arm in the picture is longer than mine. The motor arm I have is "too long" ( a short one) too far at park and the linkage won't reach without making the wipers pull up on the windshield about 2". By the way, all parts appear to be the original 1 speed parts.
Also, the Mustang motor is very noisy when mounted to the firewall frame and the noise resonates throughout the inside of the dash whe mounted. I don't know where to go & have looked for a rebuilder for these motors, but no luck. Chime in if you guys know some business who does it. Have 3 & all are noisy or don't work.

Plan "B" is to use a motor/switch combo from a 74-78 or so F100. It mounts by changing the grommets on the bracket to line up with the motor case, but have one question to those who have done this swap" Is the motor shaft when operating suppose to rotate a full 360 degrees? It is a rebuilt one from Rockauto. I checked the applications & the motor covers a few years. The switch is ok to mount like the motor, but I checked the motor first & saw this happening. Any thoughts as to why the motor rotates a full circle (busted) instead of the 90 degree or so swipe?
I notice that the gear case is smaller than the Mustang 2 speed. Looked inside the truck motor gear case & there are fewer gears compared to the Mustang. It also has a intermitent control and in that mode, the motor rotates a full 360, pauses and goes on etc. But when the power is off, the motor does "Park" in the same place. I haven't gone further to install to see if the linkage lines up. But if you guys have done the 74-79 or so motor swipe, let me know so about the motor rotation if I need to return the motor to Rockauto for a replacement part. Sorry its long, but wanted to give you guys details.

I used the 79 f-150 one but it's been so many years back, 15 , that i can't remember what all i did to make it work. Due to my health i can't get under the dash to see what i did with out removing the seat as there is a floor shifter in the way. I know it was not a big job and it has worked well with out any problems , plus the replacement motors are easy to pick up. I never had any idea it would work until i started trying things. I did try to fit a 66 mustang one in and it was giving me more problems than the truck one did. Sorry i can't be more help.__:)

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Like 64 futura I am old and sore, but I managed to partially access the under side of the dash. As far as I can tell the motor turns 360 and the linkage controls the back and forth sweep. I put the truck motor in several years ago along with the two sp sw. I can't see how a motor could stand up to constant reversing in high speed.

·
Subscriber
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well guys, here is what I have learned.
The 63 Ranchero has a single speed wiper system.
Bought a 2 speed Mustang motor/arm/switch/wiring.
All bolts right in--used the 1 speed arm.
Before all this, I tested the system--motor works but FYI everybody, the motor only rotates about 90 degrees and goes back--that IS the wiper cycle for this system.
ALSO, note that the pics of the 2 speed Mustang is like what I have, BUT notice the gear case---it is much bigger than the F100 truck motor. The truck motor as stated does go 360 degrees. It has a SMALLER gear case than the Mustang and it rotates a full circle, unlike the Mustang gear case as it needs more parts to go only 90 degrees.
ALSO found out that the wiper arms do not situate itself at the proper PARK position when the wiper arm is mounted to the linkage. It is off about 1/2 inch or so & the wipers are up about 2 inches from the windshield. That is what started the questions I had.
Searched the net & learned that NO ONE seems to repair/rebuild the 2 speed Mustang motor. It is noisy when running and the noise is amplified from the dash.
So I went to the 73-79 F100/F150 switch/wire/motor/arm based on a guy that used the truck parts. lots of motor replacements.
Learned that the truck motor is mounted in different holes and uses different grommets on the bracket--no problem.

Bought a used truck motor/wiring/switch/arm with delay--BUT
Both the wiper arm and the linkage shaft that came with the motor is much longer (lengthwise) that the 1 speed shaft.
Because the shaft is alot longer, it hits & scrapes into the other motor bracket and the 3 screws won't bolt down the motor and arm to that motor bracket. It scrapes that other bracket held there by 2 bolts that the other 3 bolt motor bracket would bolt to.
The linkage shaft is a 3/8 dia. size, the arm is longer and looks like it would bolt up to the linkage solving the stock motor arm problem of being too short. Will have to cut the 3/8" shaft down on the arm to clear the brackets or remove it as it is a pressed-in shaft---and replace with a 3/8" bolt & thin nylon nut--it is the same dia. as the hole in the linkage.
ALL of this a pain in the rear, but that's what its all about. At 60 years, I can still crawl under the dash-ha ha. Also note--that the output shaft boss of the truck wiper motor is longer--thus that is why it protrudes more that than the 1 speed/ Mustang motors & won't allow the motor bracket to bolt up. Thanks for the info guys! One of you guys was right--don't cut the linkage and figure it out the other ways as I have written. Cross your fingers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts